Anyone recogize this programming language?
Author Message
 Anyone recogize this programming language?

 Hi,

 I'm studying some code which is said to have
 come from a Unisys machine.

 Does anyone recognize the programming language ?

 Here's a clip.

 Thanks,

 e-

**          MAV
     IF MAV EQUAL c'T'
     IF H-SPAN-BEG LT X'11110F'
     IF H-SPAN-END LT X'11078F'
     MOVE C'0405'     TO DFA1-4
     MOVE C'051994'   TO CURR-YR-CENT
     PERFORM 670 THRU 679
     PERFORM 690 THRU 699
     PERFORM 870 THRU 679
     MOVE C'H' TO MAV
662  EXIT

Mon, 07 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Anyone recogize this programming language?

It could be algol, but I am not really sure.

p.s.  Sorry for the other blank response, I am currenly on my 5th or
6th scotch and I thought I could have typed something correclty.

McLean)19 Dec 1996 16:59:23 -0800 writes:
:>
:>
:>
:> Hi,
:>
:> I'm studying some code which is said to have
:> come from a Unisys machine.
:>
:> Does anyone recognize the programming language ?
:>
:> Here's a clip.
:>
:> Thanks,
:>
:> e-
:>
:>
:>**          MAV
:>     IF MAV EQUAL c'T'
:>     IF H-SPAN-BEG LT X'11110F'
:>     IF H-SPAN-END LT X'11078F'
:>     MOVE C'0405'     TO DFA1-4
:>     MOVE C'051994'   TO CURR-YR-CENT
:>     PERFORM 670 THRU 679
:>     PERFORM 690 THRU 699
:>     PERFORM 870 THRU 679
:>     MOVE C'H' TO MAV
:>662  EXIT

/-----------------------------------------------/
/ Jon Santarelli             | If there is a    /

/                            | it...Find it!    /
/ Team OS/2                  | Thomas A Edison  /
/ See Spike the supercomputing hedgehog, and    /
/ stay tuned to see some 'misadventures' of -   /
/ Hettie the semi-trained yet still stupid hegie/
/ http://homepage.interaccess.com/~jsant        /
/-----------------------------------------------/

Wed, 09 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Anyone recogize this programming language?

Quote:

>  I'm studying some code which is said to have come from a
> Unisys machine. Does anyone recognize the programming language ?
> **          MAV
>      IF MAV EQUAL c'T'
>      IF H-SPAN-BEG LT X'11110F'
>      IF H-SPAN-END LT X'11078F'
>      MOVE C'0405'     TO DFA1-4
>      MOVE C'051994'   TO CURR-YR-CENT
>      PERFORM 670 THRU 679
>      PERFORM 690 THRU 699
>      PERFORM 870 THRU 679
>      MOVE C'H' TO MAV
> 662  EXIT

Certainly overtones of COBOL: the hyphenated datanames, the
PERFORM..THRU and MOVE source TO dest, but there are some
non-standard extensions like C'H' (Character) and X'0F' (heX).

Maybe it's a lower level COBOL-like language of the B3500 series?
Why not ask Unisys?

--

Mine of Information Ltd, PO BOX 1000, St Albans AL3 5NY, GB
* Independent Computer Consultancy    Established in 1977 *

Thu, 10 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Anyone recogize this programming language?

I believe it's called "mapper".  Kind of a useless unisys type of thing.

I've never seen anything good result in anything that UNISYS touched.

Bill

Thu, 10 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Anyone recogize this programming language?

Quote:

>Subject: Re: Anyone recogize this programming language?
>Date: 22 Dec 1996 04:55:43 GMT
>I believe it's called "mapper".  Kind of a useless unisys type of thing.
>I've never seen anything good result in anything that UNISYS touched.
>Bill

errrrrr, no ... not MAPPER, but feel free to take another shot (although I've
never seen anything good result in anything that RIGGS shot at)

Thu, 10 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Anyone recogize this programming language?

Quote:

>It could be algol, but I am not really sure.

No, not algol ....
Looks Cobol like (a special dialect?)
Quote:

>p.s.  Sorry for the other blank response, I am currenly on my 5th or
>6th scotch and I thought I could have typed something correclty.

>McLean)19 Dec 1996 16:59:23 -0800 writes:
>:>
>:>
>:>
>:> Hi,
>:>
>:> I'm studying some code which is said to have
>:> come from a Unisys machine.
>:>
>:> Does anyone recognize the programming language ?
>:>
>:> Here's a clip.
>:>
>:> Thanks,
>:>
>:> e-
>:>
>:>
>:>**          MAV
>:>     IF MAV EQUAL c'T'
>:>     IF H-SPAN-BEG LT X'11110F'
>:>     IF H-SPAN-END LT X'11078F'
>:>     MOVE C'0405'     TO DFA1-4
>:>     MOVE C'051994'   TO CURR-YR-CENT
>:>     PERFORM 670 THRU 679
>:>     PERFORM 690 THRU 699
>:>     PERFORM 870 THRU 679
>:>     MOVE C'H' TO MAV
>:>662  EXIT

>/-----------------------------------------------/
>/ Jon Santarelli             | If there is a    /

>/                            | it...Find it!    /
>/ Team OS/2                  | Thomas A Edison  /
>/ See Spike the supercomputing hedgehog, and    /
>/ stay tuned to see some 'misadventures' of -   /
>/ Hettie the semi-trained yet still stupid hegie/
>/ http://homepage.interaccess.com/~jsant        /
>/-----------------------------------------------/

Thu, 10 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Anyone recogize this programming language?

Quote:

>  I'm studying some code which is said to have come from a
> Unisys machine. Does anyone recognize the programming language ?
> **          MAV
>      IF MAV EQUAL c'T'
>      IF H-SPAN-BEG LT X'11110F'
>      IF H-SPAN-END LT X'11078F'
>      MOVE C'0405'     TO DFA1-4
>      MOVE C'051994'   TO CURR-YR-CENT
>      PERFORM 670 THRU 679
>      PERFORM 690 THRU 699
>      PERFORM 870 THRU 679
>      MOVE C'H' TO MAV
> 662  EXIT

Definately Burroughs COBOL exploiting the completely non-portable language
extensions to view data as packed and character data.  What the code is
doing (poorly) is this :

IF MAV = "T"
   IF H-SPAN-BEG < 111100
       IF H-SPAN-END < 110780
           MOVE "0405"      TO DFA1-4
           MOVE "051994"   TO CURR-YR-CENT
           PERFORM 670 THRU 679
           PERFORM 690 THRU 699
           PERFORM 870 THRU 679
           MOVE "H" TO MAV
      END-IF
   END-IF
END-IF

Yes it is bizarre, for one he's testing dates in the format mmddyy so I
don't have any idea on how he expected this to work.  The test on the date
includes the sign which is 'F' in this case.  11110C is less than 11110F
and would pass the second test even though to us the number is 111100 in
both cases.  What is weird is that the sign is in the rightmost position (
Burroughs signs the leftmost by default) which leads me to believe the
data comes from an outside feed.  The naming conventions are a little bit
too minimalistic for my tastes and there can be no way for me to tell what
the cryptically named paragraphs 680, 690 and 870 do without see them.
Also, the statement to perform 870 thru 679 leads me to believe this clown
didn't write his procedures in ascending order either. The real fun in
Burroughs COBOL doesn't begin until you see the words "enter symbolic"
and see what looks like ( and what is) assembly langauge statements.

Burroughs COBOL was superior to IBM's and could pound it into the dirt any
day of the week but it obtained a lot of its power through the use of
non-standard extensions to the language and these make coversions a
nightmare, especially when the coversion is done, as it has been often,
from Unisys COBOL to the weaker, less feature rich IBM implimentation of
COBOL.

InstrJCC

Thu, 10 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Anyone recogize this programming language?

Quote:
> >  I'm studying some code which is said to have come from a
> > Unisys machine. Does anyone recognize the programming language ?
> > **          MAV
> >      IF MAV EQUAL c'T'
> >      IF H-SPAN-BEG LT X'11110F'
> >      IF H-SPAN-END LT X'11078F'
> >      MOVE C'0405'     TO DFA1-4
> >      MOVE C'051994'   TO CURR-YR-CENT
> >      PERFORM 670 THRU 679
> >      PERFORM 690 THRU 699
> >      PERFORM 870 THRU 679
> >      MOVE C'H' TO MAV
> > 662  EXIT

> data comes from an outside feed.  The naming conventions are a little bit
> too minimalistic for my tastes and there can be no way for me to tell what
> the cryptically named paragraphs 680, 690 and 870 do without see them.
> Also, the statement to perform 870 thru 679 leads me to believe this clown
> didn't write his procedures in ascending order either. The real fun in

Pehaps it is machine generated.  Perhaps from LINC.

I suspect that the 870 THRU 679 is a transcription error.

Fri, 11 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Anyone recogize this programming language?

2. Anyone recogize this programming language?

3. Anyone know of a good book to learn Assembly Language Programming (x86/Pentium Processors)

4. A Language Primer required for A Programming Language

5. Use a new language: Structured Programming Language

6. All Languages Programming Contest -- Extending the language (4)

7. All Languages Programming Contest -- Extending the language (3)

8. The Icon Programming Language (was: Discussions of languages)

9. information or program which transfer high language to assembly language

10. Programming languages and communication languages

11. languages in programming languages

12. SAC '96 Programming Languages Track: Final Program