MF COBOL or Fujitsu COBOL for learning?
Author Message
 MF COBOL or Fujitsu COBOL for learning?

Quote:

>I need to get a compiler to learn COBOL with. Can anyone tell me the "pros"
>and "cons" of MF versus Fujitsu please?  WOuld one be better for a beginner
>than the other?  Should I start with one then get the other when I know more?
> The idea of Fujitsu being free is appealing, but sometimes you get what you
>pay for ...

Fujitsu took a lot of heat for offering their product "Free".  People
wanted to know the "catch", what's the "deal", can it be any good?

The answer is - yes it's free.  (v 3)
There is no catch, other than they would like you to buy (at a
reasonable price even!) v4.  But you don't have to.
And yes it is good.  It's very good.

Mon, 06 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 MF COBOL or Fujitsu COBOL for learning?

posted "MF COBOL or Fujitsu COBOL for learning?" to "comp.lang.cobol" :

-->I need to get a compiler to learn COBOL with. Can anyone tell me the "pros"
-->and "cons" of MF versus Fujitsu please?  WOuld one be better for a beginner
-->than the other?  Should I start with one then get the other when I know more?
--> The idea of Fujitsu being free is appealing, but sometimes you get what you
-->pay for ...
-->
-->thanks

Your learning ramp is going to include installation and learning the quirks (methods) of use
for either one.

Both compilers seem to work well with the Ansi core of the cobol language.  Where such products
effectively differ is in the use of proprietary 'extensions' to the language.  Both will work
on x86/win32 pc's.  If you are mainly learning cobol to learn cobol and don't have a particular
environment in mind, or plan to use cobol applications in windows, either should be good.

I prefer Fujitsu.  I haven't gotten the animator working though, or the de{*filter*}.  I use a
separate editor that I prefer for actually writing the code, and compile and link with Fuji.  I
have used the MF animator on an AS/400 AIX environment, and it's a nice tool to have, at times.
That compiler is rather weak regarding error messages;  it frequently chokes without giving a
clue as to why.  It's horrible for debugging Report writer as just about any problem it
encounters it states patently that there is a problem, but not what it is.  I imagine Personal
Cobol is about the same.  We have not been given access to the product manuals....

I think that applications written with any pc/cobol compiler will require the runtime libraries
be installed before working. even though you produce an executable (.exe) file.  Thus you won't
be producing true 'stand alone' code, per se.  Most if not all larger sizes of iron have a
cobol product installed from the get-go.  Running cobol apps there would be a matter of
following the in place procedure, after using the installed compiler and linking in situ.  Neh?
(I'm here to learn, please correct errors and ommissions!)

Power Cobol seems like a pretty strong product.  It's about $300 right now.

TS

"It's important when you ride snorting, kicking 2000 pound horned animals
 for a living that you occasionally get away for a while"  Skiing Cowboys
                       tenox+-+at+-+home+-+dot+-+com

Mon, 06 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 MF COBOL or Fujitsu COBOL for learning?
I am a newish student and have both MF 2 for DOS and Fujitsu 3.
I prefer the Fujitsu. I had the free download but bought Thanes book with
the free CD and it is outstanding ! ( the book and all the software and the
manuals). I assure you I am unbiased and simply submit my opinion and would
recommend you also buy the book, for the price you will have EVERYTHING you
require and more.
Wishing you luck
Regards
Stu

Fri, 10 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. MF COBOL to Fujitsu COBOL

2. Fujitsu COBOL -- 45,000 Developers Receive Fujitsu COBOL at Microsoft Developer Days

3. 2 or 3 things I wonder about: MF and Fujitsu Cobol

4. Learning MS(MF) COBOL

5. Search in Fujitsu Cobol Power Cobol

6. Fujitsu COBOL - A Restatement of Our Long-term Commitment to COBOL

7. Fujitsu COBOL - A Restatement of Our Long-term Commitment to COBOL

8. Visoc, Fujitsu Cobol, Visual Age Cobol -Latino America - Espa?a

9. Microsoft Cobol Workbench 3.2.50 & Fujitsu Cobol 4

10. How compatible are RM Cobol and MF Cobol.

11. MS/MF COBOL : Load Failure (170) on file \COBOL\BINR\ADIS

12. converting from MF cobol to IBM VA Cobol