MF Visual Object Cobol
Author Message
 MF Visual Object Cobol

Does MF Visual Object Cobol have a runtime fee for distributing
applications?

It's something interesting in the COBOL PC world.  I have applications and
ideas for applications that would sell in the $50-200 range for end users.
If I use MF COBOL, the $125-150 runtime fee makes that impossible.  I
currently use the non runtime CA-Realia COBOL for my purposes, but as time
goes by, and I do more Windows development, I am distressed at their lack
of a 32 bit COBOL.

Does ACCUCOBOL have 32 bit and does it have a runtime fee?

Fujitsu - don't reply.  I have your 16 bit compiler.

Fri, 20 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 MF Visual Object Cobol

Quote:

> Does MF Visual Object Cobol have a runtime fee for distributing
> applications?
> It's something interesting in the COBOL PC world.  I have applications and
> ideas for applications that would sell in the $50-200 range for end users.
> If I use MF COBOL, the $125-150 runtime fee makes that impossible.

Here is an excerpt from January 1995 when Micro Focus royalties
were discussed in the thread:
   "MicroFocus vs. Small Developer"

>Newsgroups: comp.lang.cobol
>Date: 25 Jan 1995 00:32:45 GMT

Micro Focus provides three ways of developing 'modern' GUI
interfaces.  Only one of them incurs any license fees.  That one
is the use of the Panels2 routines (which allows you to use one
interface and the resulting program will automatically sense
which GUI environment you are in and display your interface
correctly or, if you run under DOS, will shift to an emulation of
the GUI environment, suitable for DOS).  If you use the base
Windows or OS/2 PM API calls from COBOL, which are supported in
the base COBOL product, there are no fees associated with
distributing your application.  If you decide that you would like
to use their Dialog System tool to create your GUI interface,
there is no associated distribution license fee, unless you make
use of the call-out feaure to do direct Panels2 calls to be able
to micro-manage, so to speak, the interface.  Few people use that
 capability of Dialog System.  Dialog System is an add-on package
to the compiler, but it doesn't have any distribution fees
either.

So, out of three available options to develop GUI applications,
only one comes under the distribution fees, or OSX license as it
is called.  That license, itself, it relatively inexpensive with
a steep discount schedule.

For those who want other choices, the use of Visual Basic to
build the GUI front-end is very popular (although quite slow).

>> Has anyone else noticed that the Cobol compiler manufacturers
>> have ignored the small developer?  MicroFocus adds royalty
>> agreements to every tool that they sell that comes close to
>> producing a modern interface...

Re royalties: I spoke to Paul O'Grady, Micro Focus supremo, at
a seminar on 9 March 1994.  He agreed to reconsider the royalty
situation and admitted:
(1) royalties did not yield any significant income, and
(2) royalty clauses are likely to drive small PC developers
    towards other products/languages.
Perhaps someone from MF would like to comment?

 [No reply yet]

--

Mine of Information Ltd, PO BOX 1000, St Albans AL3 5NY, GB
* Independent Computer Consultancy    Established in 1977 *

Fri, 20 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 MF Visual Object Cobol

Quote:

>>Does ACCUCOBOL have 32 bit and does it have a runtime fee?
>No, runtime

Minor (major?) correction here. Acucobol-GT does have a 32 bit
compiler and runtime available. There is indeed a licence fee for
the runtime.
--
Nigel Eaton (Acucobol UK)
21st Century Programmers Do It With 4 Digits

Sun, 29 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 MF Visual Object Cobol

Yes Voc have a runtime free . ( VOC  Version 1.27)

Quote:
>Does MF Visual Object Cobol have a runtime fee for distributing
>applications?
>It's something interesting in the COBOL PC world.  I have applications and
>ideas for applications that would sell in the $50-200 range for end users.
>If I use MF COBOL, the $125-150 runtime fee makes that impossible.  I
>currently use the non runtime CA-Realia COBOL for my purposes, but as time
>goes by, and I do more Windows development, I am distressed at their lack
>of a 32 bit COBOL.
>Does ACCUCOBOL have 32 bit and does it have a runtime fee?

No, runtime

Quote:
>Fujitsu - don't reply.  I have your 16 bit compiler.

Regards
Daniel Fernandez

Comodoro Rivadavia - Chubut - Patagonia Argentina
             Capital del viento

Mon, 30 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Help with MF Visual Object Cobol

2. MF Visual Object COBOL - Love it, hate it, love it

3. MF Visual Object COBOL odbc complient?

4. MF Visual Object COBOL Ripoff

5. MF Visual Cobol and MS SourceSafe

6. MF Visual OO COBOL

7. Calling MF Cobol from MS Visual Basic

8. Help with MF COBOL V3 & Visual Basic

9. MF COBOL with Visual Basic Interface How can

10. Q:MF Visual Cobol

11. Opinions on MF COBOL Visual Workbench

12. MF Cobol & Visual C++