ODBC and MS Excel
Author Message
 ODBC and MS Excel

I would like to use SQL statements to create a MS Excel spreadsheet on
the fly. I do not need to do any updates or deletes. I just need to be
able to create a spreadsheet with data that I now write to a file and
later on import into Excel manually. I am using CA-Realia and have
been very successful reading/writing/updating/deleting, etc. with MS
Access via SQL statements.

Sat, 13 Mar 2004 01:42:23 GMT
 ODBC and MS Excel

Quote:
> I would like to use SQL statements to create a MS Excel spreadsheet on
> the fly. I do not need to do any updates or deletes. I just need to be
> able to create a spreadsheet with data that I now write to a file and
> later on import into Excel manually. I am using CA-Realia and have
> been very successful reading/writing/updating/deleting, etc. with MS
> Access via SQL statements.

SQL does not create Excel spreadsheets.

There are OLE functions (or whatever it is called now) that allow you
to manipulate an Excel spreadsheet from within a program.

--
Lorne Sunley

Sat, 13 Mar 2004 02:52:01 GMT
 ODBC and MS Excel
The ODBC SQL statement "CREATE TABLE" will create a new "sheet" in Excel;
UPDATE and SELECT work to retrieve rows and columns from existing sheets
(tables). (SELECT columnname FROM sheetname....UPDATE sheetname SET ....)

I have not figured out how to "create" the spreadsheet file itself, but if
you have a "*.xls"  file, you can do these things without resorting to OLE.

(Actually, I haven't been able to figure out how to set up an ODBC DSN or
ODBC file DSN for Excel without the *.xls file already existing).

--
Michael Mattias
Tal Systems Inc.

Quote:

> > I would like to use SQL statements to create a MS Excel spreadsheet on
> > the fly. I do not need to do any updates or deletes. I just need to be
> > able to create a spreadsheet with data that I now write to a file and
> > later on import into Excel manually. I am using CA-Realia and have
> > been very successful reading/writing/updating/deleting, etc. with MS
> > Access via SQL statements.

> SQL does not create Excel spreadsheets.

> There are OLE functions (or whatever it is called now) that allow you
> to manipulate an Excel spreadsheet from within a program.

> --
> Lorne Sunley

Sat, 13 Mar 2004 04:20:57 GMT

1. Haskell and MS-Excel, MS-Access

2. ODBC and EXCEL

3. Excel ODBC

4. Accessing EXCEL sheets via ODBC

5. Leer hoja excel con sql y odbc con NetExp3.1

6. ODBC using Excel

7. ODBC and Excel

8. ODBC, Excel DbiDate Question

9. How Convert MS EXCEL Spreadsheet to an APL2 Array

10. ms Excel and smalltalk Express Ques.

11. Read/Write to MS-Excel file?

12. Importing MS Excel Data