Stumper Question for me: simple question for this group -exponential and logs
Author Message
 Stumper Question for me: simple question for this group -exponential and logs

I was wondering if you could help me w/ the syntax of a COBOL program
that would do exp. like below.  My goal would be to have it read a value

for variable x and b and give me U.  I took fortran 77 a couple years
ago and today my dad asked me if I knew cobol.  I said I would try.  I
managed to{*filter*}around on the school's Unix accont, but I can't get it
to work.  I was wondering if you could help me out.

Ryan

  b^u=x

or Log termination U=log to the base b (x)

I want to know if I know x and b, how to I find U.

Sun, 11 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Stumper Question for me: simple question for this group -exponential and logs
MATHPK in ETKPAK at http://www.*-*-*.com/
give you logarithms in Cobol.

Quote:

> I was wondering if you could help me w/ the syntax of a COBOL program
> that would do exp. like below.  My goal would be to have it read a value

> for variable x and b and give me U.  I took Fortran 77 a couple years
> ago and today my dad asked me if I knew cobol.  I said I would try.  I
> managed to{*filter*}around on the school's Unix accont, but I can't get it
> to work.  I was wondering if you could help me out.

> Ryan

>   b^u=x

> or Log termination U=log to the base b (x)

> I want to know if I know x and b, how to I find U.

Sun, 11 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Stumper Question for me: simple question for this group -exponential and logs

Quote:

>  b^u=x

>or Log termination U=log to the base b (x)

>I want to know if I know x and b, how to I find U.

For Log, try "Function Log" or "Function Log10" to find the natural
log of a number.

Sun, 11 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Stumper Question for me: simple question for this group -exponential and logs

Quote:

>  b^u=x

>I want to know if I know x and b, how to I find U.

  b^u = x
  ln(b^u) = ln(x)
  u*ln(b) = ln(x)
  u = ln(b)/ln(x)

           COMPUTE U = FUNCTION LOG(B) / FUNCTION LOG(X).

Make sure both B and X > 0 and X <> 1!
--

Sun Valley Systems    http://personal.bhm.bellsouth.net/~judmc

Sun, 11 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Stumper Question for me: simple question for this group -exponential and logs

Quote:

>>  b^u=x

>>or Log termination U=log to the base b (x)

>>I want to know if I know x and b, how to I find U.
>For Log, try "Function Log" or "Function Log10" to find the natural
>log of a number.

And then use log (x) / log (b) to find U.  Or log10 (x) / log10 (b).
Just be consistent.

Sun, 11 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Stumper Question for me: simple question for this group -exponential and logs
Try :  answer-wanted = base**exponent.
Quote:

>I was wondering if you could help me w/ the syntax of a COBOL program
>that would do exp. like below.  My goal would be to have it read a value

>for variable x and b and give me U.  I took Fortran 77 a couple years
>ago and today my dad asked me if I knew cobol.  I said I would try.  I
>managed to{*filter*}around on the school's Unix accont, but I can't get it
>to work.  I was wondering if you could help me out.

>Ryan

>  b^u=x

>or Log termination U=log to the base b (x)

>I want to know if I know x and b, how to I find U.

Mon, 12 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Question in french (a simple question, very simple)

2. Simple forth question - maybe simple ?

3. Simple Question seeks simple answer

4. Log Error question

5. awk's mod operator % question (application: log base2 non-integer result)

6. DbAudit log question

7. regina rexx for win32 - event logging / message DLL question

8. question about {log} ["setlog"]

9. Another log by tracing question

10. Log by Tracing Question

11. Expect: Log by tracing question

12. basic question - how to divert unix (csh) stdout to a log window in tcl