open source (and open standard)
Author Message
 open source (and open standard)

This URL points to an internal Microsoft memo that
shows how even M$ have seen the light when it comes
the open source movement.  It is very interesting (and
scary) reading.

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Leif

Sun, 22 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 open source (and open standard)

Quote:

> This URL points to an internal Microsoft memo that
> shows how even M$ have seen the light when it comes
> the open source movement.  It is very interesting (and
> scary) reading.

> http://www.opensource.org/halloween.html

> Leif

I love Open Source.  I used to run a BBS (WWIV) that was open source -
before Linux - you purchased the source from the original author (it
was C) and then you could "Mod" (Modify) it to your hearts content.
Many talented programmers published their "mods" for others to
install, dramatically improving the product.  Many of these mods were
incorporated in the main source by the original author for new
versions.  Neat stuff.

I see problems developing with Linux - who decides what really becomes
part of the current version of the OS?  Linus Torvald?  A committee?

How does one make money from this?  Can anyone with a compiler compile
the open source and sell the end product to users?  That's the threat
to me as in my side role as independant developer.  How does one
protect ones investment in the initial source?

I have benefited from the open source idea in my COBOL work - here on
this group I worked with some people some months ago to develop some
special routines - and they work well and are in use.  We do this all
the time here when we share coding ideas/strategies.

But how does this work for a big project?

Sun, 22 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 open source (and open standard)

Quote:
>I see problems developing with Linux - who decides what really becomes
>part of the current version of the OS?  Linus Torvald?  A committee?

Linus does though he does delegate parts of what goes in but he has
ultimate say - the linux community trusts him with that.

Quote:

>How does one make money from this?

You don't directly. Lot's of the Linux people just do it for fun and
the fact that it's screwing Microsoft and quite a few other big
monopolies. It's why Netscape released the source of it's browser. If
they as a company want to compete against Microsoft, the only way is
for them to promote alternatives to Microsoft. Releasing the source to
part of their software and company means thousands of people can work
on the next version. Microsoft, even with their money, can't compete
at that level.

It's filtering through business and Microsoft are scared if the
halloween document is to be read as correct. Lotus are rumoured to be
releasing source of Smartsuite (123, WordPro, Approach etc) and Domino
too.

You make money out of selling your services, like Netscape,  to
support what you've released and of course you don't have to release
source for everything. Companies like Red Hat, SUSE etc release
'distributions' of source on CD and make money from doing that bundled
with books telling you how to set things up and use it.

Some companies haven't learnt how to work with Linux. A couple of CAD
companies released their software (not open source though) on Linux
then found people weren't prepared to pay that much.

Quote:
> Can anyone with a compiler compile
>the open source and sell the end product to users?

Depends on the licence agreement. Mostly you have to release the
source code of any derived work too but there are lots of nuances.
Taking someone else's code and selling that for $1000 could well be
perfectly legal as some authors place no restrictions whatsoever on
their source - people would be stupid to pay $1000 for something they
could get free though so it generally doesn't happen. Try reading
http://www.opensource.org for further info.

Quote:
>  That's the threat
>to me as in my side role as independant developer.  How does one
>protect ones investment in the initial source?

You don't have to release the source for Linux apps. You can release
binaries.

Quote:

>I have benefited from the open source idea in my COBOL work - here on
>this group I worked with some people some months ago to develop some
>special routines - and they work well and are in use.  We do this all
>the time here when we share coding ideas/strategies.

>But how does this work for a big project?

You need a good co-ordinator/integrator or a team of them. Linux has
that.

--
Shaun

Sun, 22 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Open Source/Open Science conference announcement

2. Open-source release of MLj 0.2: a Standard ML to Java bytecode compiler

3. Source-Navigator is now an open source project!

4. Realbasic opens a window without a NewDocument event on opening the application

5. Closing an open browsebox when another browsebox opens

6. File Open, or not Open, question

7. Opening Child on MDI open

8. OPEN(VIEW) without OPEN(FILE)

9. P1275/Open Firmware/Open Boot newsgroup?

10. LV5 VISA Open vs LV6 VISA Open

11. VM Open Edition and MVS/ESA Open Edition

12. Open minds, err, open books... (repost)