Variable vs. fixed-length records performance
Author Message
 Variable vs. fixed-length records performance

Quote:

> Don't have any solid facts on performance re: var vs. fixed (a thread
> started here a few days ago).

[snip -- some suggestions for reducing clock time of the processing
cycle]

I can't say much about fixed-vs-variable either, but I have one
further suggestion: look into Batch Pipes.

This is an IBM facility comparable to pipes in UNIX.  The idea is
that, if the output of program A immediately becomes the input
for program B, Batch Pipes can buffer the records in memory, so that
you don't spend IO on a big temporary file.

I've never used it myself, and I don't know where the gotchas are,
but it's worth a look.

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sat, 22 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Variable vs. fixed-length records performance

Quote:

> Anyway, what I did was to select a field and use an external SORT job > to split the humongo input file into several smaller ones (I think the
> command was OUTFILE, but memory is dim). For example, separate files
> were created for Cities beginning with 'A' thru 'F', 'G thru 'L', etc.
> Then I created one jobstream for each newly-segregated file (same
> programs, different jobnames and filenames).
> Finally, a SORT job stuffed all the end-result files back together.

The control statement name is OUTFIL.  For more information about
DFSORT's OUTFIL features (multiple output, OUTREC, editting masks,
lookup and change, INCLUDE, OMIT, SAVE, STARTREC, ENDREC, SPLIT,
CONVERT, etc), visit the DFSORT home page at URL:

http://www.storage.ibm.com/dfsort/

SPLIT, INCLUDE/OMIT/SAVE and STARTREC/ENDREC can all be used to split
larger files into smaller files.  The "In the Spotlight" archives
contains a Smart DFSORT Trick that shows how to use these OUTFIL
operands to split a file.

For COBOL jobs, you can supply OUTFIL and other control statements in
the DFSPARM data set, e.g.

//DFSPARM DD *
  OUTFIL ...
/*

Frank L. Yaeger - DFSORT Team (Specialties: ICETOOL, OUTFIL, Y2K :-)

Mon, 24 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Variable vs. fixed length - tuning question

2. Convert comma-delimited records to fixed length records

3. Variable Length records in VS/Cobol II rel 3.0

4. Getting true length of a variable length record - IBM Mainframe

5. Finding Variable-Length Record Length

6. problem ascii file with fixed record length

7. Problem when formating a variable delimited file to fixed length

8. fixed or variable character length

9. processing variable length records in text file

10. Import dos file variable record length

11. Variable record length input.

12. Variable Length Records