Fujitsu 4.0 vs MF NetExpress & MF Resolve
Author Message
 Fujitsu 4.0 vs MF NetExpress & MF Resolve

Quote:

> Fujitsu 4.0 Enterprise 189.00 (CDN)
> MF NetExpress 5,220.00 (CDN)
> MF Revolve 4,5670.00 (CDN)

> Anyone have any really good reasons for choosing the Micro Focus products vs
> the Fujitsu compiler?  Obviously there is a LARGE price difference.

MicroFocus is all things to all people.  Fujitsu is a little more
narrow.  However, once you step into the world of NetExpress - they
are pretty equal.

Micofocus has a tool in NetExpress to create HTML forms and interact
with them as your user interface.  Reviews are still mixed.  Fujitsu
has a similar product - NetCOBOL which I have not tried and cannot
comment on.

Quote:
> Some of our requirements:
> 1) EASE OF USE
> 2) INTEGRATION WITH Visual Basic
> 3) SUPPORT FOR ORACLE DATABASES

Ease of use - Give MicroFocus a SLIGHT edge with their WorkBench -
although Fujitsu 4.0 is lightyears better than 3.0.

Integration with VB - Fujitsu hands down.

Support for Oracle Databases - Equal footing, but I think Fujitsu is
more stable.

Sat, 17 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Fujitsu 4.0 vs MF NetExpress & MF Resolve

Quote:
>Fujitsu 4.0 Enterprise 189.00 (CDN)
>MF NetExpress 5,220.00 (CDN)
>MF Revolve 4,5670.00 (CDN)

I have found Fujitsu to be more solid, and probably a bit more
versatile.  On the other hand, it is a much more immature
product, with a thousand little quirks that are a pain in the
ass.  The editor, for example, is one of the worst that I have
ever worked with (the full screen equivalent of EDLIN), but
so integrated that you almost have to use it.  I have decided
to go with Fujitsu because of the price, and the fact that they
seem *much* more responsive to their customers.  I certainly
hope to see a Version 4.1, 4.2, etc. in the near future, though.
They badly need to stand back and do some cleanup/tuning.

Sat, 17 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Fujitsu 4.0 vs MF NetExpress & MF Resolve

Quote:
> I can tell you hands down if you plan on writting OO Cobol, Fujitsu is not
> an option for a mission critical application. It lacks fundamental support
> for collections and call backs, is NOT REENTRANT (and this is not likely to
> change in the near future according to my source as it would require a
> complete overall of the product).

Not sure this is true.  I've been told that you CAN use recursion with
Fujitsu but I did not ask "How" (It may not be the same as Reentrant -
I know).

As far as OO goes, I think it is unfair to critisize Fujitsu - or ANY
OTHER implementation of OO in COBOL - The standard has been in flux -
ANY coding of a production OO COBOL system may find itself
incompatible with the new standard.

Quote:
> As far as integration with VB I have VB frontends to my NetExpress
> application and had no trouble with this.  Version 3.0 which is due out
> later this year (I think) has a lot more support for VB integration I am
> told.  It really doesnt matter making calls to NetExpress DLLs is really no
> different than calling a C or WINAPI DLL not rocket science and if you are
> the one writing the DLLs it becomes a no brainer once you know the
> integration issues (NO ARRAYS in your parameter list if you don't want
> headaches, which has nothing to do with NE or Fujitsu).

What have you heard about the future of Dialog system?  A friend has
the 3.0 beta and can't get it to run (Incident open at MicroFocus).
Have you used it?  Opinion?  Do you think they are moving away from it
and toward a VB or Internet based GUI?

Sat, 17 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Fujitsu 4.0 vs MF NetExpress & MF Resolve

Quote:

>Not sure this is true.  I've been told that you CAN use recursion with
>Fujitsu but I did not ask "How" (It may not be the same as Reentrant -
>I know).

Try implementing your own call back routine in a class library and see if
you don't get a different answer.  I got this from a Fujitsu employee who
used to be a MicroFocus employee.

Quote:
>As far as OO goes, I think it is unfair to critisize Fujitsu - or ANY
>OTHER implementation of OO in COBOL - The standard has been in flux -
>ANY coding of a production OO COBOL system may find itself
>incompatible with the new standard.

Not true, there have been versions approved before the last was in 95.  If a
compiler company waits until a standard is "approved" they would be way
behind the times when it got approved.  In the case of a production system
using NetExpress class libaries I have been told that the next version will
comply with the latest standard but backward compatibility will be provided.
Even if it was not after converting code from NetExpress to Fujitsu (which
is suppose to be more compliant with the latest standard) it meant only
changing the class-control section to the repository section and using
factory instead of class-object.  This however was not my big complaint it
was the lack of support for collections and call backs.  If you ever use OO
Cobol for any heavy work you need these.  Other languages such as C++ and
Smalltalk all come with support for these things with the compiler that you
buy.

Quote:
>What have you heard about the future of Dialog system?  A friend has
>the 3.0 beta and can't get it to run (Incident open at MicroFocus).
>Have you used it?  Opinion?  Do you think they are moving away from it
>and toward a VB or Internet based GUI?

I have thought long and hard about this question in the past.  My bottom
line answer is that I make all my applications (except the very smallest) 3
tiered so I could replace my user interface with anything from VB to Java to
Dialog Systems without a hugh effort.  This allows me not to care what
MicroFocus or Fujitsu or any other vendor does with their User Interface
support.

--
To respond to me via email, please remove the nospam from the reply to
address.

Listen to the experts they will tell you what can't be done, and why.  Then
do it.
Object Oriented COBOL is the wave of the future!
My Object Oriented COBOL Web Site http://extra.newsguy.com/~oocobol

Sun, 18 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Fujitsu 4.0 vs MF NetExpress & MF Resolve
Thane,

We are not moving away from Dialog System.  NetExpress 3.0 will come with
an enhanced version of DS with a number of new features.  I cannot comment
on the specific issue you have but I have been using it in version 3.0.

We also accept that Customers may want to use other interface tools such
as web, VB and so on.

Hope this helps.

Paddy Coleman
Team Leader, Distributed Computing Support (WinTel)
Micro Focus International.

Quote:

>> I can tell you hands down if you plan on writting OO Cobol, Fujitsu is
not
>> an option for a mission critical application. It lacks fundamental
support
>> for collections and call backs, is NOT REENTRANT (and this is not likely
>> change in the near future according to my source as it would require a
>> complete overall of the product).

>Not sure this is true.  I've been told that you CAN use recursion with
>Fujitsu but I did not ask "How" (It may not be the same as Reentrant -
>I know).

>As far as OO goes, I think it is unfair to critisize Fujitsu - or ANY
>OTHER implementation of OO in COBOL - The standard has been in flux -
>ANY coding of a production OO COBOL system may find itself
>incompatible with the new standard.

>> As far as integration with VB I have VB frontends to my NetExpress
>> application and had no trouble with this.  Version 3.0 which is due out
>> later this year (I think) has a lot more support for VB integration I am
>> told.  It really doesnt matter making calls to NetExpress DLLs is really
no
>> different than calling a C or WINAPI DLL not rocket science and if you
are
>> the one writing the DLLs it becomes a no brainer once you know the
>> integration issues (NO ARRAYS in your parameter list if you don't want
>> headaches, which has nothing to do with NE or Fujitsu).

>What have you heard about the future of Dialog system?  A friend has
>the 3.0 beta and can't get it to run (Incident open at MicroFocus).
>Have you used it?  Opinion?  Do you think they are moving away from it
>and toward a VB or Internet based GUI?

Mon, 19 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Fujitsu 4.0 vs MF NetExpress & MF Resolve

Quote:
> Thane,

> We are not moving away from Dialog System.  NetExpress 3.0 will come with
> an enhanced version of DS with a number of new features.  I cannot comment
> on the specific issue you have but I have been using it in version 3.0.

> We also accept that Customers may want to use other interface tools such
> as web, VB and so on.

> Hope this helps.

Yes  - it is reassuring.  Thank you.

Mon, 19 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Fujitsu 4.0 vs MF NetExpress & MF Resolve

2. Fujitsu V4.0 slower than MF NetExpress?

3. MF NetExpress and Personal Cobol on Same NT 4.0 System

4. MF NetExpress vs Java

5. MF Cobol VS MF WorkBench

6. Fujitsu vs MF

7. MF NetExpress & MSIE - help

8. MF & NetExpress

9. MF Netexpress and ADIS

10. MF Cobol + Web (Netexpress 3.1)

11. Localized/internationalized app with MF-Netexpress

12. linking MF NetExpress