Suggest a COBOL book for beginners
Author Message
 Suggest a COBOL book for beginners

All

can someone suggest a good COBOL book to learn the language from. I
can program in other languages, so I'm looking for basic syntax and
how to layout/format the code ( headers, sections, etc. )

Thanks

Brad

Sun, 30 Oct 2005 22:02:55 GMT
 Suggest a COBOL book for beginners

Quote:

> All

> can someone suggest a good COBOL book to learn the language from. I
> can program in other languages, so I'm looking for basic syntax and
> how to layout/format the code ( headers, sections, etc. )

> Thanks

> Brad

Thane Hubbell, "Teach Yourself COBOL in 24 Hours". Excellent ! If not
available in a local bookstore, go to Amazon.com.

Mon, 31 Oct 2005 01:10:20 GMT
 Suggest a COBOL book for beginners
The Sams learn cobol in 21 days is ok and can be found pretty cheap.
It usually comes with a generic compiler to and limited run time.
Bob

Quote:
> All

> can someone suggest a good COBOL book to learn the language from. I
> can program in other languages, so I'm looking for basic syntax and
> how to layout/format the code ( headers, sections, etc. )

> Thanks

> Brad

Tue, 01 Nov 2005 20:02:50 GMT
 Suggest a COBOL book for beginners

Quote:

> The Sams learn cobol in 21 days is ok and can be found pretty cheap.
> It usually comes with a generic compiler to and limited run time.
> Bob

Whoops ! You made a typo. Sams published Thane's 'Teach Yourself COBOL in
24 Hours", and I would suggest it is more than "OK".

There is another book (Yellow cover I think - can't find my copy), "Teach
Yourself COBOL in 21 Days", (The title I quote may not be accurate, but
contains the phrase "21 Days"). From memory, I'm fairly certain it didn't
contain a disk or CD.. That book has been lambasted by a few.

All I recall is a chapter at the back which was worded something like ,
"Things which are difficult to do in COBOL". Maybe the author had a
problem with the topics he highlighted - I didn't <G>.

Jimmy

Wed, 02 Nov 2005 00:45:16 GMT
 Suggest a COBOL book for beginners

Quote:

> > The Sams learn cobol in 21 days is ok and can be found pretty cheap.
> > It usually comes with a generic compiler to and limited run time.
> > Bob

> Whoops ! You made a typo. Sams published Thane's 'Teach Yourself COBOL in
> 24 Hours", and I would suggest it is more than "OK".

> There is another book (Yellow cover I think - can't find my copy), "Teach
> Yourself COBOL in 21 Days", (The title I quote may not be accurate, but
> contains the phrase "21 Days"). From memory, I'm fairly certain it didn't
> contain a disk or CD.. That book has been lambasted by a few.

> All I recall is a chapter at the back which was worded something like ,
> "Things which are difficult to do in COBOL". Maybe the author had a
> problem with the topics he highlighted - I didn't <G>.

> Jimmy

Thanks

the only one I could find in house in this area was the sams book
w/compiler. Armed with this, all these threads and a liberal amount of
code bastardization I should be pretty dangerous by the months end.

Brad

Sat, 05 Nov 2005 03:54:26 GMT
 Suggest a COBOL book for beginners
Gonna take you that long? :)

--

....Terry

Quote:

> Thanks

> the only one I could find in house in this area was the sams book
> w/compiler. Armed with this, all these threads and a liberal amount of
> code bastardization I should be pretty dangerous by the months end.

> Brad

Sat, 05 Nov 2005 03:59:47 GMT
 Suggest a COBOL book for beginners

Quote:
> Gonna take you that long? :)

It should only take 21 days or 24 hours depending on the book he gets.  8^)

Sat, 05 Nov 2005 04:21:11 GMT
 Suggest a COBOL book for beginners
The Third edition of the book has the compiler, while the first two didn't.

Tim.

Did U Know ?? Everyone has a photographic memory; it's just that some
of us are out of film.

Quote:
> The Sams learn cobol in 21 days is ok and can be found pretty cheap.
> It usually comes with a generic compiler to and limited run time.
> Bob

> > All

> > can someone suggest a good COBOL book to learn the language from. I
> > can program in other languages, so I'm looking for basic syntax and
> > how to layout/format the code ( headers, sections, etc. )

> > Thanks

> > Brad

Sun, 06 Nov 2005 06:38:22 GMT

1. beginner COBOL book?

2. suggested book?

3. What kind of VRML book u suggest?

4. Please suggest a good book on ADA 95 ++

5. Can anyone suggest a good book of VHDL to read

6. suggest a book

7. Please suggest me a book!

8. suggest good books on VITAL

9. Can you suggest a good book.