COBOL 97 standard
Author Message
 COBOL 97 standard

Could someone please e-mail me a copy of the proposed standard ( or at
least a summary). Thank you.
Bernard V Liengme

Mon, 17 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 COBOL 97 standard

Bernard V Liengme writes ...

Quote:
> Could someone please e-mail me a copy of the proposed standard ( or at
> least a summary). Thank you.

Bernard,

The current proposed standard is about 900 pages long(!). They don't give
it away. I paid my $75 to get it printed and shipped to me. Very
reasonable price for a professional trying to keep current.

Regards,

Steve Comstock
Denver, Colorado
USA

telephone: 800-993-8716
or:        303-393-8716
fax:       303-393-8718

Wed, 19 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 COBOL 97 standard

Hi, Bernard!

The actual available copy is the draft standard 1.4 from august. It is
about 1000 pages long - but you can call the ANSI-comitee to get a copy
of it, I think it was about US$ 100.
But some concepts are object of change - local-variables and some parts
of the oo-themes will be changed in a meeting of the comitee in january.
BTW - I spoke with one of the german comitee members - he said, it will
be released as ANSI Standard in 98 or so ...
If You've a special question - feel free to ask, I think there are a lot
of people around in this newsgroup, who know the draft standard ...

bye
alex

Thu, 20 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 COBOL 97 standard

Quote:

>Bernard V Liengme writes ...

>The current proposed standard is about 900 pages long(!). They don't give
>it away. I paid my $75 to get it printed and shipped to me. Very
>reasonable price for a professional trying to keep current.

>Steve Comstock
>Denver, Colorado

>telephone: 800-993-8716
>or:        303-393-8716
>fax:       303-393-8718

Steve, I agree that it's a reasonable cost.  Could you tell us the address
where one can order the document?

Rex Woollard
Training Innovations Inc.
(705) 741-7552
Fax: (705) 657-1297

Sun, 23 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 COBOL 97 standard

Quote:

> Steve, I agree that it's a reasonable cost.  Could you tell us the address
> where one can order the document?

The comment period is now over.  However, you can get one for $75
which includes shipping, handling and tax from

X3 Secretariat
Attn: Lynn Barra
1250 Eye Street, Suite 200
Washington DC  20005

(202) 626-5738

Or, for $50 plus shipping, handling and tax from

American National Standards Institute
11 W. 42nd St.
New York, NY 10036
(212) 642-4900

I don't know which is the best deal.

As a result of the comments received there will be quite a few
revisions to this document before the next review (probably next
spring or summer).  You may want to wait.

--
Don Nelson
COBOL Development, Tandem Computers, Inc.

No clever quotes here

Sun, 23 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 COBOL 97 standard

Rex,

There is a web page for tracking the status of COBOL:
http://boris.mfltd.co.uk/Standards/

The following quote was copied from that source (but go there yourself for
more information):

/*************************************************************************
*******/

The document is available for $75.00 (including shipping, handling, & tax)
from: X3 Secretariat,

Washington, DC
20005, (202) 626-5746. Payment can be made by cash, check, Visa,
MasterCard, and AmEx.
The document is also available for $50.00 (plus shipping, handling, & tax)
from: American
National Standards Institute, 11 W. 42nd St., New York, NY 10036, (212)
642-4900

/*************************************************************************
**************/

Regards,

Steve Comstock
Denver, Colorado
USA

telephone: 800-993-8716
or:        303-393-8716
fax:       303-393-8718

Thu, 27 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. ACCESS 97 SQL and Fujitsu COBOL

2. cobol 97

3. COBOL 97

4. COBOL-97 feature request [open?]

5. COBOL 97 draft review again

6. Some contents of COBOL 97

7. COBOL 97

8. COBOL 97 and overlapping MOVEs

9. COBOL '97 - How get demo version

10. CFP: ECOOP'97 Workshop on Language Support for Design Patterns and Frameworks (LSDF'97)

11. ICFP'97 and PEPM'97: final reminder

12. ICFP'97 and PEPM'97: final reminder