MDI Forms -- Fujitsu
Author Message
 MDI Forms -- Fujitsu

Is it possible to create MDI forms with Fujitsu PowerCobol V4?
If yes how???

Thanks in advance
Stelios

Sun, 18 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 MDI Forms -- Fujitsu

Quote:

> Is it possible to create MDI forms with Fujitsu PowerCobol V4?
> If yes how???

For the terminally ignorant - whats an MDI form?

Sun, 18 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 MDI Forms -- Fujitsu
Could it be Multiple Document Interface as is found in VB?
Quote:

>> Is it possible to create MDI forms with Fujitsu PowerCobol V4?
>> If yes how???

>For the terminally ignorant - whats an MDI form?

Sun, 18 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 MDI Forms -- Fujitsu

Quote:
> Could it be Multiple Document Interface as is found in VB?

Could be - but remember - I said I was TERMINALLY ignorant - what is
"Mutliple Document Interface"?

Sun, 18 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 MDI Forms -- Fujitsu
<snip>

Sorry about that....an MDI allows the user to open multiple files
simultaneously for editing or viewing, etc... much like MS Word and other
word processor's or spreadsheet's.....this is a guess on my part as I'm not
familiar with Fujitsu as yet....still delving the mysteries of Main
Framing.....but I do have some experience with VB and VC and that's what MDI
is for those platforms as opposed to SDI or Single Document Interface where
only on file at a time can be opened.

Sun, 18 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 MDI Forms -- Fujitsu

Quote:
>> Could it be Multiple Document Interface as is found in VB?
>Could be - but remember - I said I was TERMINALLY ignorant - what is
>"Mutliple Document Interface"?

When a program has multiple subwindows that are all contained within a single
main window, it's using MDI. The alternative is creating multiple independent
windows.  Netscape does not use MDI as every new browser you open creates a
top-level window independent of the others. Programs like Excel or Word, on the
other hand, do use MDI as each document window is open inside of the main
application window.

The idea is that each application has a window and every document you open has
a subwindow inside that main window. If you have Win95, only the main windows
show up on the taskbar. Personally, I don't like MDI as it prevents usage of
ALT+TAB in the proper fashion.It's also worth noting that IBM's usability
testing showed MDI to be a bad idea and has basically depracated it on OS/2.

----
"Civilization won't *die* from Y2k. It'll be more like Civilization goes out
drinking and the next morning realizes the benefits of drinking gin from
smaller containers."
The opinions above are my own and may or may not match those of my employer.

Sun, 18 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 MDI Forms -- Fujitsu

Quote:

>> Is it possible to create MDI forms with Fujitsu PowerCobol V4?
>> If yes how???

>For the terminally ignorant - whats an MDI form?

Thane:

Multiple Document Interface which allows you to display multiple child
windows inside a main window.

Bob Wolfe, flexus
Check out The Flexus COBOL Page at http://www.flexus.com

Mon, 19 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 MDI Forms -- Fujitsu

Quote:

> Multiple Document Interface which allows you to display multiple child
> windows inside a main window.

You mean like multi-panel windows with SP2?

Mon, 19 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 MDI Forms -- Fujitsu

Quote:

>> Multiple Document Interface which allows you to display multiple child
>> windows inside a main window.

>You mean like multi-panel windows with SP2?

No...multi-panel windows are a single window made up of multiple
panels.  The distinction is that the multi-panel window in sp2 has the
appearance of being constructed from a single panel, when in fact it
is constructed of multiple panels.  Gives you a bit of flexibility.

An MDI Window is indeed multiple panels, but more along the lines of a
main "parent" window which contains one or more "child" windows.
They're not actually parent/child windows, but they appear to be a
similar construct.

I have a neat little COBOL program which I will send you offline.  It
can be run as an MDI-type application or it can be run as a Tab Dialog
Box application by just changing the panel file.

Just take a look at the readme.txt file when you get it.

Bob Wolfe, flexus
Check out The Flexus COBOL Page at http://www.flexus.com

Tue, 20 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. MDI-form redraw problem

2. Help: How to open multiple MDI forms (minimizable) from a Browser

3. MDI Form Question

4. Fujitsu-Cobol (Cursor-behaviour in screen-section-forms)

5. Fujitsu Power Form

6. To MDI or Not to MDI

7. Toggle MDI/non-MDI before opening a window?

8. VWin: MDI within MDI question

9. Fujitsu COBOL -- 45,000 Developers Receive Fujitsu COBOL at Microsoft Developer Days

10. Fujitsu Software Corp special offering on Fujitsu COBOL 4.2 (V4L20)

11. Fujitsu Software Corp special offering on Fujitsu COBOL 4.2

12. J Form Editor resizing a form?