document, document
Author Message
 document, document

Hi all :)

Doesn't anybody document anymore?

There have been numerous postings regarding "we have source code but
no idea what it's doing", or "we have running code, changes were made,
but nobody knows which or where"..

Even if I do understand that such is probably the result of the
much-invoked "human condition", I must admit that it makes me sick to
read this. Where is the documentation that makes all this
un-necessary?

Is it, in 1996 (or in 1990 :) ) really the case, that when you gotta
make a program, you sit down at the pc/terminal, hack along until you
lose the overview, and then repair from there on, until it works?

..making zero documentation? How can professionals defend this?
We all know how to make good programs.

1. think
2. write your thoughts down
3. have them checked.
4. think some more
5. diagram and specify the actions needed
6. when all this is in place, code the program, some 1 days work,
normally.

You dont have miscompiles, you dont have scandalous problems in the
programs, and you don't have very many, conveniently called, "bugs",
to excuse.

Try it. Contrary to popular belief, you use LESS time, doing it right.
But for some, a booooring prospect, when you can just type
in one mistake after another. Grump. :)=)

My 5 danish ore worth of opinion,
and thaks for reading this brain-ventilation :)

Tue, 23 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 document, document

Well said! Second the motion.
David Webber

On Sep 06, 1996 11:01:59 in article <document, document>,

Quote:

>Hi all :)

>Doesn't anybody document anymore?

>There have been numerous postings regarding "we have source code but
>no idea what it's doing", or "we have running code, changes were made,
>but nobody knows which or where"..

>Even if I do understand that such is probably the result of the
>much-invoked "human condition", I must admit that it makes me sick to
>read this. Where is the documentation that makes all this
>un-necessary?

>Is it, in 1996 (or in 1990 :) ) really the case, that when you gotta
>make a program, you sit down at the pc/terminal, hack along until you
>lose the overview, and then repair from there on, until it works?

>..making zero documentation? How can professionals defend this?
>We all know how to make good programs.

>1. think
>2. write your thoughts down
>3. have them checked.
>4. think some more
>5. diagram and specify the actions needed
>6. when all this is in place, code the program, some 1 days work,
>normally.

>You dont have miscompiles, you dont have scandalous problems in the
>programs, and you don't have very many, conveniently called, "bugs",
>to excuse.

>Try it. Contrary to popular belief, you use LESS time, doing it right.
>But for some, a booooring prospect, when you can just type
>in one mistake after another. Grump. :)=)

>My 5 danish ore worth of opinion,
>and thaks for reading this brain-ventilation :)

Fri, 26 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 document, document

Quote:

> >Doesn't anybody document anymore?

> >Is it, in 1996 (or in 1990 :) ) really the case, that when you gotta
> >make a program, you sit down at the pc/terminal, hack along until you
> >lose the overview, and then repair from there on, until it works?

> Hi Henrik,

> I fully agree to what you say for software which has been written
> within the last couple of years, but please do not forget, that some
> companies are still working with software written in the 70s and 80s
> and just came to the point, where they want/have to replace it.

> Best regards,

> Juergen Linkens
> Munich, Germany

My next job will be to restructure very, very old legacy programs
(dated from 1970, current OS: MVS) for an Insurance Co. The programs are
documented, indeed, but the client wants to have them now changed to
COBOL'85 style in order to add new functionality later on with less
effort.
I would like to have some restructuring support for this task, e.g. for
detecting groups of statements like
if ..
goto a
if ..
goto a

etc.

which could probably be changed to a block:

evaluate ...
when ..
when ..
etc.
end-evaluate

does anybody have an idea whether there exists software for this task
("Computer Aided COBOL Restructuring")
or perhaps done a similar job?

Thanks,  Arthur

Mon, 01 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 document, document

<snip>

Quote:

> My next job will be to restructure very, very old legacy programs
> (dated from 1970, current OS: MVS) for an Insurance Co. The programs are
> documented, indeed, but the client wants to have them now changed to
> COBOL'85 style in order to add new functionality later on with less
> effort.
<snip>

> does anybody have an idea whether there exists software for this task
> ("Computer Aided COBOL Restructuring")
> or perhaps done a similar job?

> Thanks,  Arthur

Information on IBM's COBOL restructuring tool is available at:
http://www.software.ibm.com/ad/cobol/cobolwpl.htm#Header_58.  It
purports to do exactly what you want to do.
--

Director, Computer Technology   http://www.mmc.org
Maine Medical Center

Fri, 05 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 document, document

Two suggestions that might help

COBOL/SF from IBM.  Now available in both mainframe (likely expensive) and
OS/2 (considerably less expensive).  While nominally a restructuring
engine, I have seen it used to isolate chuncks of code for "tactical"
re-engineering - much less disruptive than the "get rid of all goto's" or
"rock crusher" approach.

ViaSoft's ViaInsight or ViaSmartEdit products.  I have not had contact
lately, but they were moving in the direction of a tactical re-engineering
tool.  Years ago, this was mainframe only, but I beleive it has been
ported to PC's recently (maybe 5 years ago).

Rex Widmer
Builder of software archeology tools and other strange programs to help
survive in a legacy based world.

Sat, 13 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Global Document Handling Template - Document Send Extension

2. how to convert a html document to xml document in labview?

3. MMX documents available, P6 documents not available -- Ironic or irresponsible?

4. Has anyone used Intelligent Documents' Document Workbench?

5. Document Printing Problems

6. Mac OS9 Launching a specific document

7. Mac OS9 Launching a specific document

8. ISO Standards Documents

9. Announce: Document Workbench 2.0

10. Basic J Reference Document

11. using awk to change a $ in a document