Finding Vol ser numbers.
Author Message
 Finding Vol ser numbers.

Can a cobol program be written to read a multi tape dataset and find out the
volume that should be used by another process ? (this program may actually
write out a jcl and submit it to the internal reader with proper volser in
the DD statement).
Also can a cobol program figure out what G000V00 number of a GDG it is
processing. I am not talking the generation that's used in JCL (eg.
MY.DATASET(+1), MY.DATASET(+0), MY.DATASET(-1)). I am talking about the
actual number assigned by MVS to that GDG(eg. MY.DATASET.G000V04,
MY.DATASET.G000V03) etc. I am interested in finding the G000V00 number ?
Can a cobol program possibly tell the Dataset name of the file it's
processing ?

Tue, 24 Feb 2004 12:27:26 GMT
 Finding Vol ser numbers.
Basically i would like to know FileSystemObject equivalent in OS-390.

Quote:
> Can a cobol program be written to read a multi tape dataset and find out
the
> volume that should be used by another process ? (this program may actually
> write out a jcl and submit it to the internal reader with proper volser in
> the DD statement).
> Also can a cobol program figure out what G000V00 number of a GDG it is
> processing. I am not talking the generation that's used in JCL (eg.
> MY.DATASET(+1), MY.DATASET(+0), MY.DATASET(-1)). I am talking about the
> actual number assigned by MVS to that GDG(eg. MY.DATASET.G000V04,
> MY.DATASET.G000V03) etc. I am interested in finding the G000V00 number ?
> Can a cobol program possibly tell the Dataset name of the file it's
> processing ?

Tue, 24 Feb 2004 22:02:20 GMT
 Finding Vol ser numbers.
There were a number of threads on this topic recently in
www.mvshelp.com. Search on GDG when you're there.

Wed, 25 Feb 2004 05:16:14 GMT
 Finding Vol ser numbers.

:>Can a cobol program be written to read a multi tape dataset and find out the
:>volume that should be used by another process ? (this program may actually
:>write out a jcl and submit it to the internal reader with proper volser in
:>the DD statement).

Yes, but not easily.

I would like to see the business application.

Why would you wish to avoid cataloging the dataset?

:>Also can a cobol program figure out what G000V00 number of a GDG it is
:>processing. I am not talking the generation that's used in JCL (eg.
:>MY.DATASET(+1), MY.DATASET(+0), MY.DATASET(-1)). I am talking about the
:>actual number assigned by MVS to that GDG(eg. MY.DATASET.G000V04,
:>MY.DATASET.G000V03) etc. I am interested in finding the G000V00 number ?
:>Can a cobol program possibly tell the Dataset name of the file it's
:>processing ?

Look for one of Gilbert's periodic posts on retrieving information from the
SWA.

--

http://www.dissensoftware.com

Thu, 26 Feb 2004 19:20:31 GMT
 Finding Vol ser numbers.

Quote:

>:>Can a cobol program be written to read a multi tape dataset and find out the
>:>volume that should be used by another process ? (this program may actually
>:>write out a jcl and submit it to the internal reader with proper volser in
>:>the DD statement).

>Yes, but not easily.

>I would like to see the business application.

>Why would you wish to avoid cataloging the dataset?

I cannot speak for Mr Karthik but one of my clients made *extensive* use
of uncataloged datasets; the tape's VOLSER would be passed as a symbolic.

DD

Thu, 26 Feb 2004 20:18:48 GMT

1. Vol serial number

2. Forth Dimensions: Vol 1 #1 - Vol 13 #6

3. Finding out number of threads or number of open windows in the app

4. GPF using Synchronize function to refresh dictionary from SQL Ser ver

5. Application Service Provider-http://zjj90:8080/servlet/inchstservlet-fee management page.-asp

6. SOS ser no

7. Wanted: parser-generator/lexical-analyser-generator outputting Scheme

8. 80486 ser#

9. Reading Rom Chip on ser port?

10. Duel, Apl, and the shortest program to find prime numbers

11. awk - find fields > number

12. finding the number of field a use entered