Question : Binary Format?
Author Message
 Question : Binary Format?

If you define all the numeric fields (on the mainframe) as USAGE DISPLAY -
SIGN IS LEADING SEPARATE - and then take the EBCDIC (not ASCII) file and
download it to a PC using EBCDIC/ASCII conversion, you will have a "totally
usable" PC file.

--
Bill Klein
    wmklein <at> ix dot netcom dot com

Quote:
> Hi Newsgroup,
> Can anybody help me with this one? An IBM mainframe running MVS and COBOL
3
> can output a COBOL file in "Ascii" or "Binary" Format as a text file
> readable on an Ms DOS machine. This is done by an "emulator". Because some
> of the COBOL numerical datafields are "COMP" Ascii isnt suitable, so
> "Binary" was chosen. But what is the character set for "Binary"? I need to
> be able to read the "Binary Format" text file and convert back to Ascii on
> my Ms DOS PC system. I will read the text file in COBOL as a single Ascii
> character record sequential file, convert each character, then move the
data
> into an indexed file with the same structure as it had on the mainframe.

> Any ideas on what "binary format" would be? I asked them to look up the
> manual, but no response.
> Thankyou for your help
> David

Thu, 08 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Question : Binary Format?
[...]

Fri, 09 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Question : Binary Format?
Thanks Bill,
I can suggest this to the company with the mainframe who is distributing the
file. However I may have to take what they give me and convert it at my end.
David.

Quote:

>If you define all the numeric fields (on the mainframe) as USAGE DISPLAY -
>SIGN IS LEADING SEPARATE - and then take the EBCDIC (not ASCII) file and
>download it to a PC using EBCDIC/ASCII conversion, you will have a "totally
>usable" PC file.

>--
>Bill Klein
>    wmklein <at> ix dot netcom dot com

>> Hi Newsgroup,
>> Can anybody help me with this one? An IBM mainframe running MVS and COBOL
>3
>> can output a COBOL file in "Ascii" or "Binary" Format as a text file
>> readable on an Ms DOS machine. This is done by an "emulator". Because
some
>> of the COBOL numerical datafields are "COMP" Ascii isnt suitable, so
>> "Binary" was chosen. But what is the character set for "Binary"? I need
>> be able to read the "Binary Format" text file and convert back to Ascii
on
>> my Ms DOS PC system. I will read the text file in COBOL as a single Ascii
>> character record sequential file, convert each character, then move the
>data
>> into an indexed file with the same structure as it had on the mainframe.

>> Any ideas on what "binary format" would be? I asked them to look up the
>> manual, but no response.
>> Thankyou for your help
>> David

Fri, 09 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Question : Binary Format?

Quote:
>>> of the COBOL numerical datafields are "COMP" Ascii isnt suitable, so
>>> "Binary" was chosen. But what is the character set for "Binary"? I need
>>> be able to read the "Binary Format" text file and convert back to Ascii
>on
>>> my Ms DOS PC system. I will read the text file in COBOL as a single Ascii
>>> character record sequential file, convert each character, then move the
>>data
>>> into an indexed file with the same structure as it had on the mainframe.

>>> Any ideas on what "binary format" would be? I asked them to look up the
>>> manual, but no response.

Since you mentioned converting to an indexed file, I suspect you have
some COBOL on the PC, would it by chance be MicroFocus?

Given the FD from the mainframe you can run it through "WFL" under
MicorFocus COBOL and create your indexed file directly from the
mainframe.

Fri, 09 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Question : Binary Format?

Quote:

>>on
Ascii
>>>data
mainframe.

>Since you mentioned converting to an indexed file, I suspect you have
>some COBOL on the PC, would it by chance be MicroFocus?

>Given the FD from the mainframe you can run it through "WFL" under
>MicorFocus COBOL and create your indexed file directly from the
>mainframe.

Yes I have MicroFocus (Microsoft vs5.0) COBOL on the PC and the FD from the
mainframe. Is "WFL" a microfocus utility? How can I use it?

Fri, 09 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Question : Binary Format?

Quote:
>Yes I have MicroFocus (Microsoft vs5.0) COBOL on the PC and the FD from the
>mainframe. Is "WFL" a microfocus utility? How can I use it?

I do not know if WFL was included with the Microsoft versoin of
MicroFocus or not.

In MF it was ALT F9 from the workbench menu.

First you need to put the FD into a program (any program) and compile
it.  Then using the .IDY created, you can "create" a format in WFL to
convert.  It's fairly self explanitory once you start the WFL.

Fri, 09 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Question : Binary Format?
I think that WFL was *NOT* included in the (long passed) Microsoft product.
I think it was based on the Micro Focus "Toolset" product - while WFL was
just included in the "Workbench" product. The same is true (as I recall -
but again this is from long ago) for CHARSET(EBCDIC) support (which might
provide another solution to this problem).  I think that the compiler will
accept this, but that the run-time won't handle it.

--
Bill Klein
    wmklein <at> ix dot netcom dot com

Quote:

> >Yes I have MicroFocus (Microsoft vs5.0) COBOL on the PC and the FD from
the
> >mainframe. Is "WFL" a microfocus utility? How can I use it?

> I do not know if WFL was included with the Microsoft versoin of
> MicroFocus or not.

> In MF it was ALT F9 from the workbench menu.

> First you need to put the FD into a program (any program) and compile
> it.  Then using the .IDY created, you can "create" a format in WFL to
> convert.  It's fairly self explanitory once you start the WFL.

Fri, 09 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Question : Binary Format?

Quote:

>Hi Newsgroup,
>Can anybody help me with this one? An IBM mainframe running MVS and COBOL 3
>can output a COBOL file in "Ascii" or "Binary" Format as a text file
>readable on an Ms DOS machine. This is done by an "emulator". Because some
>of the COBOL numerical datafields are "COMP" Ascii isnt suitable, so
>"Binary" was chosen. But what is the character set for "Binary"? I need to

There is no character set for BINARY. It is either ASCII or EBCDIC. These
formats can be corrupted by the transfer mode, which is ASCII or BINARy (AKA
IMAGE) under FTP. The IND$GET transfer protocol also allows for ASCII
translation, in most cases you will want this off to protect the binary data
within. In the absence of a nice utility to do it for you, a custom
translator will most likely need to be created. If it is a single record
format file this should be relatively easy.

Fri, 09 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Question : Binary Format?
Thanks Jeff,
It is just EBCDIC!

Quote:

>>Hi Newsgroup,
>>Can anybody help me with this one? An IBM mainframe running MVS and COBOL
3
>>can output a COBOL file in "Ascii" or "Binary" Format as a text file
>>readable on an Ms DOS machine. This is done by an "emulator". Because some
>>of the COBOL numerical datafields are "COMP" Ascii isnt suitable, so
>>"Binary" was chosen. But what is the character set for "Binary"? I need to

>There is no character set for BINARY. It is either ASCII or EBCDIC. These
>formats can be corrupted by the transfer mode, which is ASCII or BINARy
(AKA
>IMAGE) under FTP. The IND$GET transfer protocol also allows for ASCII
>translation, in most cases you will want this off to protect the binary
data
>within. In the absence of a nice utility to do it for you, a custom
>translator will most likely need to be created. If it is a single record
>format file this should be relatively easy.

Sat, 10 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Question : Binary Format?

Quote:

>There is no character set for BINARY. It is either ASCII or EBCDIC. These
>formats can be corrupted by the transfer mode, which is ASCII or BINARy (AKA
>IMAGE) under FTP. The IND$GET transfer protocol also allows for ASCII
>translation, in most cases you will want this off to protect the binary data
>within. In the absence of a nice utility to do it for you, a custom
>translator will most likely need to be created. If it is a single record
>format file this should be relatively easy.

Not only do yu have to be concerned with the download bringin the information
down correctly, but you also have to take into account the big-endian / little
endian loading of binary fields (left to right or right to left )

Mainframe format (AFAIK) is always least significant byte is on the rightmost
position of the field.

Sun, 11 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Question : Binary Format?

Quote:

>Mainframe format (AFAIK) is always least significant byte is on the rightmost
>position of the field.

The way God intended binary values to be represented.
That's the part that was left out of Genesis in a 347 AD translation...

   On the seventh day he rested... and wrote documentation.

Thu, 15 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Question : Binary Format?

Quote:

> >Mainframe format (AFAIK) is always least significant byte is on the
rightmost
> >position of the field.

> The way God intended binary values to be represented.
> That's the part that was left out of Genesis in a 347 AD translation...

>    On the seventh day he rested... and wrote documentation.

As long as you want things in the right order, it's "AD 347" not "347 AD"
You've evidently fallen into the Intel world without knowing it.

Sun, 18 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Floating point binary format question

2. binary format command question...

3. Smalltalk Number to EBCDIC Packed/Binary format Conversion

4. Decimal Value to Binary Format

5. source storage in binary format

6. Binary file format

7. Maping of the data in the binary format as a raster graphics

8. Portable binary formats

9. Format Conversion: Binary to Ascii?

10. Need URL for specs uncompressed binary format VRML 2.0

11. VRML2.0 Compressed Binary Format

12. Binary Format