RM/COBOL85 PROBLEM?
Author Message
 RM/COBOL85 PROBLEM?

Running an application in Rm/Cobol with Runtime Dos 10 users and operating
system Ms-Win 2000 Professional or
win 2000 Server i receive a message (COBOL ERROR 30,MS-DOS ERROR 87) when i
print to a share printer of another machine.

The printer name can be LPT1(normal execution) ,
LPT3(ubnormal execution),\\machine name\share printer name(ubnormal
execution).

Can anybody solve this problem.
Thanks

Mon, 10 Nov 2003 14:54:45 GMT
 RM/COBOL85 PROBLEM?
We were able to duplicate your problem, for which we have two potential
solutions:

1) Upgrade to the 32 bit Windows runtime.  The Windows runtime has been
specifically designed and tested for 32 bit Windows operating systems like
Win2K, NT, 9x, etc. - and does not exhibit this behavior.  The current version
is 7.00.03.  See http://www.liant.com/ for more information.

2) The other solution gets a little ugly. Here's how we were able to get the
DOS runtime to print to a networked printer from Windows 2K.  Also note that
this is not specific to 2000, but also fails on NT 4.0.  It does not appear to
fail on 9x.

First, go to Control Panel -> Printers, and select "Add Printer".
I selected a "local" printer - even though eventually, it's won't be.
Now, select an unused "Local Port".  I used LPT3:  I suppose you could use any
one of the unused ports.  You may even be able to create a new one using "Add
Port...". Click "Next", and pick the appropriate printer driver type... then
just follow the prompts until you're done.
After that, open a "Command Prompt" (DOS box), and type "net use LPT3:
\\machine_name\share_printer_name".

In your COBOL program, set your printer name to LPT3: (or use an environment
variable), and you should now be able to print to the device.

Hope that helps,
-Michael

Quote:

> Running an application in Rm/Cobol with Runtime Dos 10 users and operating
> system Ms-Win 2000 Professional or
> win 2000 Server i receive a message (COBOL ERROR 30,MS-DOS ERROR 87) when i
> print to a share printer of another machine.

> The printer name can be LPT1(normal execution) ,
> LPT3(ubnormal execution),\\machine name\share printer name(ubnormal
> execution).

> Can anybody solve this problem.
> Thanks

Tue, 11 Nov 2003 04:52:16 GMT

1. rm/cobol85 compile warning

2. Problem with RM/COBOL, RM+DB & telnet

3. Linking problem with Fujitsu COBOL85 software...

4. Help: execute problem with Fujitsu COBOL85

5. RM/Cobol 85 v.6.5 applications developed with RM/Panels running under W95

6. Network problem with RM/Cobol 85

7. Runtime Problem about RM/COBOL 85

8. Rm/Cobol & Pervasive SQL 7 file problem

9. RM/COBOL file copy problems

10. RM/COBOL problems under Win95

11. First Semester problrm: simple cobol rm cobol / 85 problem with subprograms

12. RM/COBOL-85 : Problem again