How to build an invisible field which can be modified on screen in COBOL?
Author Message
 How to build an invisible field which can be modified on screen in COBOL?

Hi everyone,

Nice to meet you all here.  I have a problem on writing COBOL.  Could
anyone can help me please?

I want to write a program in which let users to enter their usernames
and passwords.  The field of the password should be invisible and
modifiable.  How to define the field in the program to make it invisible
when entering characters?

If anyone have idea, please send me an email please.  Thank you!

Best Regards,
Janet Leung

Mon, 10 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 How to build an invisible field which can be modified on screen in COBOL?

What product/option are you using for screen I/O.  They all have ways of
doing this - but none of them are the same.

(Examples, CICS, ADIS, VisualAge, etc)

Quote:

>Hi everyone,

>Nice to meet you all here.  I have a problem on writing COBOL.  Could
>anyone can help me please?

>I want to write a program in which let users to enter their usernames
>and passwords.  The field of the password should be invisible and
>modifiable.  How to define the field in the program to make it invisible
>when entering characters?

>If anyone have idea, please send me an email please.  Thank you!

>Best Regards,
>Janet Leung

Mon, 10 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 How to build an invisible field which can be modified on screen in COBOL?

Quote:

> Hi everyone,

> Nice to meet you all here.  I have a problem on writing COBOL.  Could
> anyone can help me please?

> I want to write a program in which let users to enter their usernames
> and passwords.  The field of the password should be invisible and
> modifiable.  How to define the field in the program to make it invisible
> when entering characters?

Depends on your COBOL system, but options like ACCEPT x WITH SECURE
or ACCEPT x WITH NO-ECHO are common. Similar attributes exist if you
are doing the accept via the SCREEN SECTION.

The best thing to do is to look in the manual for your system.

Cheers,
Kev.

Mon, 10 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 How to build an invisible field which can be modified on screen in COBOL?

Quote:
>Hi everyone,

>Nice to meet you all here.  I have a problem on writing COBOL.  Could
>anyone can help me please?

>I want to write a program in which let users to enter their usernames
>and passwords.  The field of the password should be invisible and
>modifiable.  How to define the field in the program to make it invisible
>when entering characters?

>If anyone have idea, please send me an email please.  Thank you!

Which COBOL variant?
Try "Secure"?

Tue, 11 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 How to build an invisible field which can be modified on screen in COBOL?

Quote:
>> I want to write a program in which let users to enter their usernames
>> and passwords.  The field of the password should be invisible and
>> modifiable.  How to define the field in the program to make it invisible
>> when entering characters?

>Depends on your COBOL system, but options like ACCEPT x WITH SECURE
>or ACCEPT x WITH NO-ECHO are common. Similar attributes exist if you
>are doing the accept via the SCREEN SECTION.

>The best thing to do is to look in the manual for your system.

Also system related- in some environments (ie IMS) you can define screen
attributes outside of the actual program...

Wed, 12 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 How to build an invisible field which can be modified on screen in COBOL?

writes:

Quote:
>I want to write a program in which let users to enter their usernames
>and passwords.

It depends on the platform and quite possibly the compiler and screen handler
for that platform.

For example, on an IBM mainframe under CICS I would define the BMS macro for
the password field to be dark, unprotected.

Wed, 12 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 How to build an invisible field which can be modified on screen in COBOL?

Quote:

> writes:

> >I want to write a program in which let users to enter their usernames
> >and passwords.

> It depends on the platform and quite possibly the compiler and screen handler
> for that platform.

> For example, on an IBM mainframe under CICS I would define the BMS macro for
> the password field to be dark, unprotected.

Right, to refine the answer a bit, typically the USERID / USERNAME field
is displayable and the password field is dark. USERIDs & USERNAMEs are
not usually restricted.

Bill {*filter*}

Thu, 13 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 How to build an invisible field which can be modified on screen in COBOL?

Quote:

> writes:

> >I want to write a program in which let users to enter their usernames
> >and passwords.

> It depends on the platform and quite possibly the compiler and screen handler
> for that platform.

You can try ACCEPT Your-field WITH NO-ECHO or ACCEPT Your-field WITH
SECURE, it depends on version of Your system and compiler..
Hope this helps.
M.Chocholous, Prague

Thu, 13 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 How to build an invisible field which can be modified on screen in COBOL?

On Sun, 25 Jan 1998 00:22:45 -0500, Bill {*filter*}

Quote:

>> writes:

>> >I want to write a program in which let users to enter their usernames
>> >and passwords.

>> It depends on the platform and quite possibly the compiler and screen handler
>> for that platform.

>> For example, on an IBM mainframe under CICS I would define the BMS macro for
>> the password field to be dark, unprotected.

>Right, to refine the answer a bit, typically the USERID / USERNAME field
>is displayable and the password field is dark. USERIDs & USERNAMEs are
>not usually restricted.

>Bill {*filter*}

Or if using MFS under IMS you would just set the correct attributes
when coding the MFS.  All "screen painters" I've come across on
mainframes have some similar function.

Cheers,
Kevin

Thu, 13 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Invisible entry field in the update form (CW1501) ?

2. intermittent Tk bug? (entry field sometimes invisible)

3. Covert COBOL Computational Field To Numeric Field In FoxPro

4. Question about modifying $n (where n != 0) fields when OFS != FS

5. Asynckeydown modifies an edit.field (undesirable)

6. Fields deletion when modifying dct.

7. Modify Structure and Change Name of fields

8. Code to Modify/Delete Fields From a Database

9. Modify AD key fields programmatically via ADSI or VB Script

10. Saving a Variable to a field in a record- what am i doing wrong

11. I am stuck - Locator on Multi -field Key

12. Memo fields appearing on screen