REALIA Cobol Question
Author Message
 REALIA Cobol Question

Actually a couple.

I run Realia V4.2 release 429209GG500 (whatever than means) and
ScreenIO Ver 2.1 on a 486/66  (Win 3.1) with an ATI Graphics Pro Turbo
VESA local bus card. I realize this is an older version of the product
but I can't upgrade and I can't question Realia (I presume you can
guess why).

I essentially have only one application (many programs) which is only
used by me and I only run it on the one computer.

Prior to the VESA card I used an ISA video card and ran the main
program in extended mode--gobs of memory to do things like internal
sorts--but when I got the VESA card (this is a couple of years ago) it
suddenly stopped working--screen freezes, reboot necessary. I can
duplicate the problem with any program using Accept and Displays to
the screen. I can eliminate the problem by forcing the display to use
the ANSI.SYS driver but I can't force ScreenIO to use ANSI.SYS. I've
tried other VESA cards (Paradise) but they all do the same. Presumably
what happened was that the VESA people changed the location of the
video buffer in memory and now the generated program can't find it.

Naturally I had to get rid of all the luxuries and run in DOS mode and
so far I've lived with it but I'd now like to gradually rewrite the
main program for functional reasons. I don't know if the same problem
occurs with the PCI bus. Anyone? And I really don't want to go back to
an ISA bus. Anyone have any suggestions? Perhaps a way of finding out
the video buffer address and moving it to the old location?

Second Question. Currently I swap between this main program and
WordPerfect transferring data back and forth by means of a temporary
file. It's practical but by no means elegant. What I would like is a
little Assembler routine that I can call from Cobol and which will
take a data area and write it to the clipboard and vice-versa. Any
sources?

BTW I love Cobol, Realia Cobol in particular but I hate their pricing
policy. Why they can't realize every potential user is not a huge DP
shop I don't know.

--
Patrick Riley

Sun, 06 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 REALIA Cobol Question

Quote:

> Actually a couple.
> <big snip>

> --
> Patrick Riley

Hi Patrick

I can't be much of help on the hardware, perhaps I'm also far out
coming with this suggestion:

If you need to rewrite your application and is using screen I/O
why don't you consider Cobol spII as your new screen i/o tool?

Flexus has a conversion tool from ScreenI/O to sp2 so you could
convert current screens. You can also use the clipboard
via sp2 calls (much like you suggest with a small assambler program.

If you are interested of this solution check out www.flexus.com.
You can actually download a full version for free - you can use it in
60 days and I can provide you with a sample program done with Realia
using sp2 and the clipboard.

Good luck!

Jan Paimo

Qinette Data AB
Smara 3341
S-760 31 Edsbro
Sweden

Sun, 06 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 REALIA Cobol Question

Quote:

>If you need to rewrite your application and is using screen I/O
>why don't you consider Cobol spII as your new screen i/o tool?

Thanks for your suggestion but I actually have SPII moldering away in
the cupboard. I used it or rather I spent a month or two trying to use
it but found it so complex I abandoned the attempt. If I have to
change product I'll throw it all away and consider migrating to
Pentium Win 95 and something like Fijitsu's COBOL.

--
Patrick Riley

Sun, 06 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 REALIA Cobol Question

Quote:

> Thanks for your suggestion but I actually have SPII moldering away in
> the cupboard. I used it or rather I spent a month or two trying to use
> it but found it so complex I abandoned the attempt. If I have to
> change product I'll throw it all away and consider migrating to
> Pentium Win 95 and something like Fijitsu's COBOL.

> --
> Patrick Riley

With all respect for your opinion - but might I ask if it was a long
time ago you tryed COBOL spII? To me COBOL spII is the shortest way
dealing with a graphical environment. If your test was a long time
ago - I'm sure you should have a second look ...

call "sp2" using
        function     (the desired sp2 function - could be set clipboard)
        parameter    (line(s) - you want copied to the clipboard)

or

call "sp2" using
        converse-panel   (to accept input and output on screen)
        my-data          (data area generated or defined by you
                          holding data for screen)

... COBOL spII has become much easier to master and MORE powerful over
the time and compared doing a GUI interface with a non COBOL tool I
think COBOL spII is about the best choise!

Jan

Mon, 07 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 REALIA Cobol Question

Quote:

> > Thanks for your suggestion but I actually have SPII moldering away in
> > the cupboard. I used it or rather I spent a month or two trying to use
> > it but found it so complex I abandoned the attempt. If I have to
> > change product I'll throw it all away and consider migrating to
> > Pentium Win 95 and something like Fijitsu's COBOL.

> > --
> > Patrick Riley

> With all respect for your opinion - but might I ask if it was a long
> time ago you tryed COBOL spII? To me COBOL spII is the shortest way
> dealing with a graphical environment. If your test was a long time
> ago - I'm sure you should have a second look ...

> call "sp2" using
>         function     (the desired sp2 function - could be set clipboard)
>         parameter    (line(s) - you want copied to the clipboard)

> or

> call "sp2" using
>         converse-panel   (to accept input and output on screen)
>         my-data          (data area generated or defined by you
>                           holding data for screen)

> ... COBOL spII has become much easier to master and MORE powerful over
> the time and compared doing a GUI interface with a non COBOL tool I
> think COBOL spII is about the best choise!

> Jan

I also tried SPII, and found it extremely user unfriendly!!! Maybe once
you learn it, it's fine.

John

Mon, 07 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 REALIA Cobol Question

Quote:

>Actually a couple.

SNIP A COUPLE.

As I recall you can set Realia to use different I/O
ANSI/BIOS/MACHINE.

Try a different compile/link combo.

JR

and stir with a Runcible spoon...

Tue, 08 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 REALIA Cobol Question

Quote:

> I also tried SPII, and found it extremely user unfriendly!!!
> Maybe once you learn it, it's fine.

> John

Hi John

Would be of interest to know in what way you found COBOL spII hard
to use? Do you have any example? What are you using for
screen I/O today?

To me COBOL spII was easier to learn than Dialog System Delphi or
Visual Basic - all this 3 products has far longer learning curve
than I found spII to have?

Jan

Tue, 08 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 REALIA Cobol Question

Quote:

> Actually a couple.

> I run Realia V4.2 release 429209GG500 (whatever than means) and
> ScreenIO Ver 2.1 on a 486/66  (Win 3.1) with an ATI Graphics Pro Turbo
> VESA local bus card. I realize this is an older version of the product
> but I can't upgrade and I can't question Realia (I presume you can
> guess why).

I've run into this before.  Is your system freezes at the point you're
issuing a display to the console?  You can verify this through
REALDBUG.  If that is the case, get your hands on a VESA driver (usually
supplied with the new card)  Run this as a part of your AUTOEXEC.BAT and
try again.  This should take care of your problem.

Realias pricing policy isn't as bad as MicroFocus's...

Tue, 08 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 REALIA Cobol Question

*>
*> Actually a couple.
*>
[...]

Patrick:

I remember one problem with displays.  From conversations I had with
Norcom and CA-Realia at the time, they were rare occurences.  One
suggestion was the method Realia used to memory-map the video.  The
problem had to be solved at the ScreenIO product level.  The only
solution I found was to use ScreenIO's SET IBMC=N command at the
DOS prompt before starting the application.

As I recall, this SET command instructs the ScreenIO runtime to use
BIOS for writting to the screen, instead of writting directly to the
screen.  The displays are slower, but it got rid of the garbbled
screens.  With today's faster machines, you might not even notice
the slower speeds.

One note, however.  If I remember, the SET IBMC=N command got
broken in version 2.2 of ScreenIO.  It seemed to work in 2.3.
ANSI.SYS should not be need with SET IBMC=N.

Hope this helps.

Mike Dodas

Tue, 08 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 REALIA Cobol Question

Quote:

*> >If you need to rewrite your application and is using screen I/O
*> >why don't you consider Cobol spII as your new screen i/o tool?
*>
*> Thanks for your suggestion but I actually have SPII moldering away in
*> the cupboard. I used it or rather I spent a month or two trying to
use
*> it but found it so complex I abandoned the attempt. If I have to
*> change product I'll throw it all away and consider migrating to
*> Pentium Win 95 and something like Fijitsu's COBOL.
*>
Quote:
> --

*> Patrick Riley

Patrick:

I find SP2 very easy to use and powerful.  If you use Norcom's
ScreenIO, you should find the current release of Sp2 as easy.  True,
Sp2 is a more complex product, has many powerful runtime options and
can take some time to get use to.  But it is a GUI product, and GUI's
are
far more complex than text-based products.  It is also a cross-platform
product (DOS, WINDOWS, etc.)

Norcom's ScreenIO is an excellent text-based screen building product and
very reliable.  As a matter of fact, I have used it for years and still
use it for a system of mine.  But if you have a need to build GUI's in
the future, take a look at Flexus.  I'm in the process of converting
the ScreenIO system to the Flexus product and have found it to be
not the bad to convert.  The screens, of course, have to be redrawn, but
the calls to the runtime were relatively easy to change.  Flexus
works extermely well with CA-Realia, my compiler of choice.

mike dodas

Tue, 08 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Thoughts on CA Visual Realia, Realia Workbench (COBOL)

2. Fuji COBOL vs Realia COBOL for PC's

3. WANTED: Realia Plus or Realia v5

4. What do you think of Realia II and Realia JCL for PC

5. Calling win32 API CreateDirectoryA from Realia cobol program

6. Realia-II COBOL calling C subroutines?

7. did anyone have Realia cobol for dos compiler?

8. realia cobol winapi

9. Realia COBOL

10. lockups using realia cobol v2.00 on pentiums

11. CA-Realia II Workbench vs. COBOL Workbench

12. Windows for Realia COBOL?