Date validation of input from HTML form
Author Message
 Date validation of input from HTML form

I'm looking for alternate code solutions for validating date input
accepted from an HTLM form. I've experimented with a javascript routine,
but its not as bullet proof as I would like. Any assistance will be
greatly appreciated.

With thanks, Mike

Tue, 12 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Date validation of input from HTML form

I know that at least Micro Focus (and I suspect several other vendors)
provides a COBOL/CGI interface.  As you posted this in comp.lang.cobol, is
there a COBOL compiler involved in your application? If so which? and have
you checked for their CGI interface (if any)?   Obviously, writing a date
validation routine in COBOL is " a piece of cake".

--
+ +
+   Bill Klein -

Quote:

>I'm looking for alternate code solutions for validating date input
>accepted from an HTLM form. I've experimented with a javascript routine,
>but its not as bullet proof as I would like. Any assistance will be
>greatly appreciated.

>With thanks, Mike

Tue, 12 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Date validation of input from HTML form

Thank you Mr. Klein.

First, yes, a cobol compiler is involved. As you so perceptively
observed, this is a cobol newsgroup after all.

Second, yes, if I wanted to write a server side routine to validate
the date input it would be a "piece of cake". But why not get the
client to do the validation? See, Bill, the tip off that I asked for
javascript code, code handled by the browser, the browser that is
running on the client machine, Bill. Get it?

Third, yes, responses like yours Bill do nothing but fill up people's
email files and, Bill, this last part I know you have already guessed,
because your a perceptive little so and so, pisses me off.

Again, thanks for your help. Now if you will excuse me, I'll continue my
query.

says...

Quote:

>I know that at least Micro Focus (and I suspect several other vendors)
>provides a COBOL/CGI interface.  As you posted this in comp.lang.cobol,
is
>there a COBOL compiler involved in your application? If so which? and
have
>you checked for their CGI interface (if any)?   Obviously, writing a
date
>validation routine in COBOL is " a piece of cake".

>--
>+ +
>+   Bill Klein -
>         "C" is a nice letter to START the name of your programming
language
>with
>      but I wouldn't want to end up there.

>>I'm looking for alternate code solutions for validating date input
>>accepted from an HTLM form. I've experimented with a javascript
routine,
>>but its not as bullet proof as I would like. Any assistance will be
>>greatly appreciated.

>>With thanks, Mike

Wed, 13 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Date validation of input from HTML form

Quote:

>Thank you Mr. Klein.

>First, yes, a cobol compiler is involved. As you so perceptively
>observed, this is a cobol newsgroup after all.

  >initial snippage<
See, Bill, the tip off that I asked for
Quote:
>javascript code, code handled by the browser, the browser that is >running

on the client machine, Bill. Get it?
  >much snide comments snipped<

Just so it is clear, there is COBOL compiler involved, but we aren't
supposed to give COBOL related answers.  Seems logical to me!

After all comp.lang.cobol is the best place I can think of for asking for
javascript code, isn't it?  How silly of me to waste anyone's time in not
using this newsgroup for giving javascript code answers - which are clearly
the useful thing to do.

Oh by the way, the original request which said,

"I've experimented with a javascript routine, but its not as bullet proof as
I would like. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated."

Is another clear indicator that we are only suppose to give javascript
replies. And obviously, that any assistance quote really means "give me
assistance to do what I want - not what I have asked".

Wed, 13 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Date validation of input from HTML form

Quote:

> Thank you Mr. Klein.

> First, yes, a cobol compiler is involved. As you so perceptively
> observed, this is a cobol newsgroup after all.

I'm with you so far.

Quote:

> Second, yes, if I wanted to write a server side routine to validate
> the date input it would be a "piece of cake". But why not get the
> client to do the validation?

Because if I recall the architecture the server transmits to the
client... why transmit unclean data?  But all that aside.

Quote:
> See, Bill, the tip off that I asked for
> javascript code, code handled by the browser, the browser that is
> running on the client machine, Bill. Get it?

Mr Klein might get it... *I* sure don't.  You are asking for javascript
code to run through a COBOL compiler?  If you are asking about COBOL,
that is one thing... if you are asking for javascript code then I wonder
what this request is doing in comp.lang.cobol... and if you are asking
for the actual code, rather than folks' ideas, you should be posting in
alt.do.my.job.for.me.

Quote:

> Third, yes, responses like yours Bill do nothing but fill up people's
> email files and, Bill, this last part I know you have already guessed,
> because your a perceptive little so and so, pisses me off.

Ooooo, he's *angry* now... hey, Newton, what did you expect, a solution
to the three-body problem?  You got what you paid for, maybe double that
amount; next time make your request a bit more clear... maybe posting to
the appropriate newsgroup might decrease the fullness of your email-box.

Quote:

> Again, thanks for your help. Now if you will excuse me, I'll continue my
> query.

Righto, then... you are asking comp.lang.cobol something about... COBOL,
right?

DD

Quote:

> says...

> >I know that at least Micro Focus (and I suspect several other vendors)
> >provides a COBOL/CGI interface.  As you posted this in comp.lang.cobol,
> is
> >there a COBOL compiler involved in your application? If so which? and
> have
> >you checked for their CGI interface (if any)?   Obviously, writing a
> date
> >validation routine in COBOL is " a piece of cake".

> >--
> >+ +
> >+   Bill Klein -
> >         "C" is a nice letter to START the name of your programming
> language
> >with
> >      but I wouldn't want to end up there.

> >>I'm looking for alternate code solutions for validating date input
> >>accepted from an HTLM form. I've experimented with a javascript
> routine,
> >>but its not as bullet proof as I would like. Any assistance will be
> >>greatly appreciated.

> >>With thanks, Mike

Wed, 13 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Date validation of input from HTML form

Quote:

>>>I'm looking for alternate code solutions for validating date input
>>>accepted from an HTLM form. I've experimented with a javascript
>>> routine,
>>>but its not as bullet proof as I would like. Any assistance will be
>>>greatly appreciated.

>>>With thanks, Mike

>> says...

>>I know that at least Micro Focus (and I suspect several other vendors)
>>provides a COBOL/CGI interface.  As you posted this in comp.lang.cobol,
>> is
>>there a COBOL compiler involved in your application? If so which? and
>> have
>>you checked for their CGI interface (if any)?   Obviously, writing a
>> date
>>validation routine in COBOL is " a piece of cake".

>>--
>>+ +
>>+   Bill Klein -
>>         "C" is a nice letter to START the name of your programming
>> language
>>with
>>but I wouldn't want to end up there.

All of a sudden, Mike Gerrie worte:

Quote:

> Thank you Mr. Klein.

> First, yes, a cobol compiler is involved. As you so perceptively
> observed, this is a cobol newsgroup after all.

Perceptive of you...

Being an ass early.  You got this out of "Win friends and influence
people", didn't you....

Quote:
> Second, yes, if I wanted to write a server side routine to validate
> the date input it would be a "piece of cake". But why not get the
> client to do the validation?

Good god.  What did COBOL start running on the client side????  Oh,
wait, you probably want this in Java.  Funny, I don't even see Java in
the name of this news group.

Quote:
> See, Bill, the tip off that I asked for
> javascript code, code handled by the browser, the browser that is
> running on the client machine, Bill. Get it?

COBOL - Java....  I know that they sould a lot alike, but, well, no
they don't.  I believe the news group that you need would be
alt.do.it.for.me, alt.I'm.an.ass, or even maybe (well, maybe not) a
Java news group.

Quote:
> Third, yes, responses like yours Bill do nothing but fill up people's
> email files and, Bill, this last part I know you have already guessed,
> because your a perceptive little so and so, pisses me off.
> Again, thanks for your help. Now if you will excuse me, I'll continue my
> query.

Ooooh, now you're pissed off.  So what.  Go away....

BTW:  If you are simply looking date validation techniques in Java, it
is actually very simple.  If you hadn't been such a {*filter*} to Bill
earlier, I would be much more likely to help you.  If fact, if you
were to fully and publicly apologize to him (and he decided to accept
it), I would still probably help you.  Otherwise, oh well, you find
something.

Dave

Thu, 14 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Date validation of input from HTML form

Quote:

>>> says...

>>>I know that at least Micro Focus (and I suspect several other vendors)
>>>provides a COBOL/CGI interface.  As you posted this in comp.lang.cobol,
>>> is
>>>there a COBOL compiler involved in your application? If so which? and
>>> have
>>>you checked for their CGI interface (if any)?   Obviously, writing a
>>> date
>>>validation routine in COBOL is " a piece of cake".

>>>--
>>>+ +
>>>+   Bill Klein -
>>>         "C" is a nice letter to START the name of your programming
>>> language
>>>with
>>>but I wouldn't want to end up there.

>All of a sudden, Mike Gerrie worte:

>> Thank you Mr. Klein etc...

Much useless and inflammatory remarks snipped!.

Quote:

>> Third, yes, responses like yours Bill do nothing but fill up people's
>> email files and, Bill, this last part I know you have already guessed,
>> because your a perceptive little so and so, pisses me off.
>> Again, thanks for your help. Now if you will excuse me, I'll continue my
>> query.

  Well it is better to be pissed off than pissed on, but only if you
are in America.  Apparently in England it is good to be pissed!!

Quote:

>Ooooh, now you're pissed off.  So what.  Go away....

>BTW:  If you are simply looking date validation techniques in Java, it
>is actually very simple.  If you hadn't been such a {*filter*} to Bill
>earlier, I would be much more likely to help you.  If fact, if you
>were to fully and publicly apologize to him (and he decided to accept
>it), I would still probably help you.  Otherwise, oh well, you find
>something.

>Dave

My sentiments also.  Mr. (and I use that term loosely) Gerrie can go
post in comp.lang.java

Regards,

Fri, 15 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Date validation of input from HTML form

Well gee we have a lot of replies and no one has said a lot.

Just when I was gettin' real interested in the answer to that   " question".
I don't think you'd just be askin' just  to "to be askin'  (translation:
a trolling)

However, I would helpfully suggest the book published by IDG    Hip Pocket
Guide to HTML 4 by Ed Tittel, James Michael Stewart and Natanya Pitts.

and there are 2 other Dummies books on HTML that might be able to help you out.
I am confident the answers are in there.  (I'm still on book one)

good luck (and I mean that sincerely)
cwiley

Quote:

> >Thank you Mr. Klein.

> >First, yes, a cobol compiler is involved. As you so perceptively
> >observed, this is a cobol newsgroup after all.

>   >initial snippage<
> See, Bill, the tip off that I asked for
> >javascript code, code handled by the browser, the browser that is >running
> on the client machine, Bill. Get it?

>   >much snide comments snipped<

> Just so it is clear, there is COBOL compiler involved, but we aren't
> supposed to give COBOL related answers.  Seems logical to me!

> After all comp.lang.cobol is the best place I can think of for asking for
> javascript code, isn't it?  How silly of me to waste anyone's time in not
> using this newsgroup for giving javascript code answers - which are clearly
> the useful thing to do.

> Oh by the way, the original request which said,

> "I've experimented with a javascript routine, but its not as bullet proof as
> I would like. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated."

> Is another clear indicator that we are only suppose to give javascript
> replies. And obviously, that any assistance quote really means "give me
> assistance to do what I want - not what I have asked".

Mon, 18 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Date validation of input from HTML form

Speaking as a programmer of 8 years ( six years professional )

What kind of validation of the date have you put in place so far ?

Maybe we can speak openly in general terms and really help you.

Like have you checked the input for leading spaces? for trailing spaces?
oh hell, just compact the whole darn input date right from the start.

Are we treating the date like a table? or a text string?  (well, it's a
possibility)

With the Y2k stuff on the horizon I bet you have a certain type of format
in mind.  In this ng that the format differs by country and I would never
want to presume that I knew what the correct format is or should be for
your situation
In HTML land just about anything could and will be entered.

cwiley

Quote:

> I'm looking for alternate code solutions for validating date input
> accepted from an HTLM form. I've experimented with a javascript routine,
> but its not as bullet proof as I would like. Any assistance will be
> greatly appreciated.

> With thanks, Mike

Mon, 18 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Date validation of input from HTML form

Hi,

Okay.... what I would do is..

 b) look at netscape documentation on javascript and validation....
        http://developer.netscape.com/docs/examples/javascript/regexp/overvie...
--

Stephen Gennard, Micro Focus Ltd, Newbury, Berkshire,  Tel: +44 1635 565429

> Well gee we have a lot of replies and no one has said a lot.

> Just when I was gettin' real interested in the answer to that   " question".
> I don't think you'd just be askin' just  to "to be askin'  (translation:
> a trolling)

> However, I would helpfully suggest the book published by IDG    Hip Pocket
> Guide to HTML 4 by Ed Tittel, James Michael Stewart and Natanya Pitts.

> and there are 2 other Dummies books on HTML that might be able to help you out.
> I am confident the answers are in there.  (I'm still on book one)

> good luck (and I mean that sincerely)
> cwiley

> > >Thank you Mr. Klein.

> > >First, yes, a cobol compiler is involved. As you so perceptively
> > >observed, this is a cobol newsgroup after all.

> >   >initial snippage<
> > See, Bill, the tip off that I asked for
> > >javascript code, code handled by the browser, the browser that is >running
> > on the client machine, Bill. Get it?

> >   >much snide comments snipped<

> > Just so it is clear, there is COBOL compiler involved, but we aren't
> > supposed to give COBOL related answers.  Seems logical to me!

> > After all comp.lang.cobol is the best place I can think of for asking for
> > javascript code, isn't it?  How silly of me to waste anyone's time in not
> > using this newsgroup for giving javascript code answers - which are clearly
> > the useful thing to do.

> > Oh by the way, the original request which said,

> > "I've experimented with a javascript routine, but its not as bullet proof as
> > I would like. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated."

> > Is another clear indicator that we are only suppose to give javascript
> > replies. And obviously, that any assistance quote really means "give me
> > assistance to do what I want - not what I have asked".

Mon, 18 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. HTML Form data validation with Object REXX (Windows)

2. Date input field validation

3. Field Validation in a Form

4. Validation of FORM fields

5. newbie with a php validation form mail script problem

6. clientside validation of checkboxes from PHP form

7. Form validation q

8. form validation

9. Form Validation

10. Form validation and page navigation