HELP!! Micro Focus COBOL Parm Passing
Author Message
 HELP!! Micro Focus COBOL Parm Passing

My group is being quite unsuccessful at passing a parm into a MF COBOL (v
4.0.32) program(exe) through the command line.    We have tried this on NT
and 95 with no success.  The PARMPASS function works fine in Animator, but
this uses the integrated(int) or generated(gnt) file.

Does anyone know how to pass parms through a command line to the executable
program?

Additional info:  The programs are being converted from mainframe COBOL II
using DB2 (i.e., easy to pass parms through JCL).

Ron Hale

Sun, 09 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP!! Micro Focus COBOL Parm Passing

As long as you are converting from the mainframe (and not maintaining a
program that will have to go back to the mainframe), you should look at the
ACCEPT FROM COMMAND-LINE syntax.

Quote:

>My group is being quite unsuccessful at passing a parm into a MF COBOL (v
>4.0.32) program(exe) through the command line.    We have tried this on NT
>and 95 with no success.  The PARMPASS function works fine in Animator, but
>this uses the integrated(int) or generated(gnt) file.

>Does anyone know how to pass parms through a command line to the executable
>program?

>Additional info:  The programs are being converted from mainframe COBOL II
>using DB2 (i.e., easy to pass parms through JCL).

>Ron Hale

Sun, 09 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP!! Micro Focus COBOL Parm Passing

Quote:

> My group is being quite unsuccessful at passing a parm into a MF COBOL (v
> 4.0.32) program(exe) through the command line.    We have tried this on NT
> and 95 with no success.  The PARMPASS function works fine in Animator, but
> this uses the integrated(int) or generated(gnt) file.

> Does anyone know how to pass parms through a command line to the executable
> program?

> Additional info:  The programs are being converted from mainframe COBOL II
> using DB2 (i.e., easy to pass parms through JCL).

> Ron Hale

I'm doin' like this:

First of all you must edit a little file (I call it "runtime.cfg") which might
contain:

set command_line_linkage=TRUE                             <=== The magic line!!

set max_file_handles=1024
set routine_table_size=2048

Then your environment (COBOL) should be set by the following:
SET COBCONFIG=%WB_PROJDIR%\RUNTIME.CFG

Then you should receive .EXE parms thru LINKAGE SECTION...
(Works for me..)

Regards
Geir Knaplund

Sun, 09 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP!! Micro Focus COBOL Parm Passing

Quote:

> As long as you are converting from the mainframe (and not maintaining a
> program that will have to go back to the mainframe), you should look at the
> ACCEPT FROM COMMAND-LINE syntax.

Hi Ron.

I agree with Bill that the ACCEPT syntax is the best way of doing
this (though you may prefer the DISPLAY UPON ARGUMENT-NUMBER,
ACCEPT FROM ARGUMENT-VALUE syntax to get at individual items).

However, there is also a method by which you may access the command
line via a LINKAGE SECTION item. I mention it only because it is a
Mainframe compatibility feature, so might tie in better with the code
you already have. Check the "Run-time Configuration" section of the
User Guide, and look for the "command_line_linkage" tuneable.

Cheers,
Kev.

Mon, 10 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP!! Micro Focus COBOL Parm Passing

Quote:

>My group is being quite unsuccessful at passing a parm into a MF COBOL (v
>4.0.32) program(exe) through the command line.    We have tried this on NT
>and 95 with no success.  The PARMPASS function works fine in Animator, but
>this uses the integrated(int) or generated(gnt) file.

ParmPass isn't intended for production use on the PC. It is designed
to emulate particular parts of JCL functionality to assist in the
maintenance of applications running on IBM mainframes.

Micro Focus do not supply ParmPass for linking and it is not part of
any license agreement, so you couldn't ship it out anyway.

To get the command lines into your app, I think you'll have to bite
the bullet and make some code changes such as those suggested by
Kevin.

Regards,
Mark Warren

Mon, 10 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP!! Micro Focus COBOL Parm Passing

Have you tried "accept [data-name] from command-line"?

Quote:

>My group is being quite unsuccessful at passing a parm into a MF COBOL (v
>4.0.32) program(exe) through the command line.    We have tried this on NT
>and 95 with no success.  The PARMPASS function works fine in Animator, but
>this uses the integrated(int) or generated(gnt) file.

>Does anyone know how to pass parms through a command line to the executable
>program?

>Additional info:  The programs are being converted from mainframe COBOL II
>using DB2 (i.e., easy to pass parms through JCL).

>Ron Hale

Wed, 12 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Passing parm hex parm to STCKCONV

2. Micro Focus 2.4.38 EXTFH and Micro Focus 3.1.35 compiler

3. Help: Micro Focus COBOL error 114

4. Help Micro Focus Cobol 3.2.20

5. Need help to convert Micro Focus Cobol Data

6. Need HELP Desperately!!!! Micro Focus COBOL Netexpress 2.0

7. Micro Focus Personal Cobol student needs help

8. How to Pass parm to PRO*CoBOL program in UNIX environment

9. Visual Age cobol calling Micro Focus cobol

10. C Versus Micro Focus COBOL Efficiency

11. A problem with Micro-focus Cobol (HP 9000/840)

12. Micro Focus Cobol Error Messages