Linking MF-Cobol programs (batch)
Author Message
 Linking MF-Cobol programs (batch)

Until now I have been using MF-Cobol version 3.2 running on OS/2. Now I
am changing to MF Object Cobol version 4.0.

In my procedure for compile and link of batch programs I have
the following statements:
   'COBOL 'sfn'.CBL,,,,' DirFile || 'BATCH.DIR"' options
   if rc > 0 then call QUIT

   'LINK  'fn'+xfh2btr+obtrv+extfh+xfhname+externl+extsm/nod,'
   fn'.EXE,,os2286+coblib+o:\lib\faaclib.lib, /PM:VIO/ST:4096;'

(My "batch" programs are accessing Btrieve files created by CICS/OS2)

What does I have to write for the new version ?

Fri, 12 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Linking MF-Cobol programs (batch)

Quote:

> What I am trying to illustrate is that the GOTO verb (as with any verb
> in COBOL) was designed and included in the language to perform a
> specific task, and SHOULD be used for that task.

Are you advocating that the GO TO should be compulsory ?

I have programs written without STRING, INSPECT or START.
Why should I not have some without GO TO ?

Fri, 12 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Linking MF-Cobol programs (batch)

Quote:

> > What I am trying to illustrate is that the GOTO verb (as with any verb
> > in COBOL) was designed and included in the language to perform a
> > specific task, and SHOULD be used for that task.

> Are you advocating that the GO TO should be compulsory ?

> I have programs written without STRING, INSPECT or START.
> Why should I not have some without GO TO ?

Richard

What Niels was trying to say is that if there is a COBOL verb that is
designed for a specific purpose, and you need to use it for that purpose
then you SHOULD use it. Personally I believe that you MUST use it.

The use of a verb for the purpose it was designed for should be
encouraged. Whether it is the GOTO, or even the STRING, INSPECT or
START.

IF it WORKS and is MAINTAINABLE then use it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike Rochford
-------------

Fri, 19 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Linking MF-Cobol programs (batch)

Quote:

> > What Niels was trying to say is that if there is a COBOL verb that is
> > designed for a specific purpose, and you need to use it for that purpose
> > then you SHOULD use it. Personally I believe that you MUST use it.

> But if I design programs in a particular way then I do not have
> 'that purpose'.

Then don't use it !!! But don't write 10 lines to avoid using it either.

Quote:

> Paragraph labels were designed for being the target of a GO TO,
> being performed, dropping into, being the end of a perform
> scope.  If I put in a paragraph label should I, must I, then
> ensure that it is used in all these ways ?

That remark doesn't deserve a comment !!

Quote:

> > The use of a verb for the purpose it was designed for should be
> > encouraged. Whether it is the GOTO, or even the STRING, INSPECT or
> > START.

> Or ALTER ?

Good point. ALTER does have a use, but here you are right !!

Quote:

> > IF it WORKS and is MAINTAINABLE then use it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

> GO TO certainly works, but I find that uncontrolled use leads
> to code that is UNmaintainable.  The number of GO TOs is
> irrelevant in this process, the number of targets (paragraph
> labels that are gone to) is the measure of how unmaintainable
> it becomes.

Now you are agreeing with me. UNCONTROLLED USE LEADS TO CODE THAT IS
UNMAINTAINABLE.
Using the GO TO as an excuse to get around bad programming is
unforgiveable. If you cannot control the people writeing your cobol
code, or don't trust them to program effieciently, then you have no
option but to ban it totally (As you would abviously bann the ALTER).
This unfortunately bypasses the problem (or treats the sympton and not
the cause). The programmers must be educated in how to program.

Mike Rochford
-------------
EasiRun International

|  18 Lakeside Place                   PO Box 13226 |
|  Benoni                              Northmead    |
|  South Africa                        1511         |
|  Tel: +27(011)421-4800                            |
|  Fax: +27(011)421-4999                            |

Sat, 20 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. COBOL II calls to OS/VS COBOL programs in batch

2. Extracting the RBA from a COBOL Batch Program

3. How to compile and link to C-DLL out of COBOL-DLL (MF)

4. Linking C to MF COBOL

5. why my MF-COBOL link always show WARING message

6. linking in version 4.0 mf cobol

7. wait needed for mvs cobol II batch program

8. VA Cobol and running external batch programs

9. Setting COBDIR for statically linked MF cobol application

10. Linking MF Cobol to EPC C++ ????

11. Static linking error MF Cobol WIN95 API calls

12. MF Cobol - PANTUTOR - How to Compile/Link??