tandem COBOL to IBM Mainframe MVS COBOL Conversion
Author Message
 tandem COBOL to IBM Mainframe MVS COBOL Conversion

Hi all,
We need to migrate an application from tandem COBOL to IBM Mainframe
MVS COBOL.
We have to convert SCOBOL, ENFORM, TAL programs as well as TACL/NETBATCH
JOB Control on MVS IBM Mainframe.
I would like to know whether any tool is available for this.

Also please help me to find Tandem COBOL documentation on the net.

Thanks in advance
Sachin

Tue, 28 Jun 2005 19:34:57 GMT
 tandem COBOL to IBM Mainframe MVS COBOL Conversion
We build custom migration tools, and have COBOL (actually, IBM COBOL)
available for use as both a starting point and as a target for the
translation.

See http://www.semdesigns.com/Products/Services/LegacyMigration.html

--
Ira D. Baxter, Ph.D., CTO   512-250-1018
Semantic Designs, Inc.      www.semdesigns.com

Quote:

> Hi all,
> We need to migrate an application from tandem COBOL to IBM Mainframe
> MVS COBOL.
> We have to convert SCOBOL, ENFORM, TAL programs as well as TACL/NETBATCH
> JOB Control on MVS IBM Mainframe.
> I would like to know whether any tool is available for this.

> Also please help me to find Tandem COBOL documentation on the net.

> Thanks in advance
> Sachin

> --

Tue, 28 Jun 2005 23:32:32 GMT
 tandem COBOL to IBM Mainframe MVS COBOL Conversion
Sachin,

They specialize in tools and services to do COBOL migrations of all kinds.
--
Buddy Ray
Editor

Quote:

> Hi all,
> We need to migrate an application from tandem COBOL to IBM Mainframe
> MVS COBOL.
> We have to convert SCOBOL, ENFORM, TAL programs as well as TACL/NETBATCH
> JOB Control on MVS IBM Mainframe.
> I would like to know whether any tool is available for this.

> Also please help me to find Tandem COBOL documentation on the net.

> Thanks in advance
> Sachin

> --

Fri, 01 Jul 2005 23:05:07 GMT
 tandem COBOL to IBM Mainframe MVS COBOL Conversion
I know nothing about the Tandem platform.  However, I believe that COBOL is
the most "portable" of the "third generation" programming languages.  Have
you compiled your Tandem COBOL on the IBM mainframe yet, to see what
language elements do not compile cleanly?  If the code doesn't use too many
Tandem language extensions, this part of your conversion may be trivial.
You will almost certainly have to convert SELECT ... ASSIGN clauses, and a
few other "implementor defined" elements of COBOL.  But this may prove
simple enough that you can write your own conversion program.

Be sure you use the very latest IBM COBOL compiler that you have available;
it may save you from further conversions in the future.

Also, if possible, get the specs of any assembler language routines that
have to be carried to the new platform.  It may be possible to code some of
them in COBOL, using "new" features like STRING, UNSTRING, INSPECT, etc.
that have actually been available for over 20 years.

Quote:

> Hi all,
> We need to migrate an application from tandem COBOL to IBM Mainframe
> MVS COBOL.
> We have to convert SCOBOL, ENFORM, TAL programs as well as TACL/NETBATCH
> JOB Control on MVS IBM Mainframe.
> I would like to know whether any tool is available for this.

> Also please help me to find Tandem COBOL documentation on the net.

> Thanks in advance
> Sachin

> --

Sat, 02 Jul 2005 05:55:48 GMT
 tandem COBOL to IBM Mainframe MVS COBOL Conversion
Most of the time you'll find differences in the file
description formats, identification information, etc.  The
logic should need very little changes.  Once the
Identification and FD stuff is changed then compile to fine
tune the language specific differences.  Most conversions
are fairly easy (from COBOL to COBOL that is).

The big problem may be in the files themselves.  Does Tandem
use ASCII?  IBM uses EBCDIC so files may need conversion.
Some systems also sort numbers before letters so the outcome
of sorts may be different.  IBM it's letters first.  I did a
conversion from Honeywell to IBM and that was the big issue.

Sat, 02 Jul 2005 06:16:03 GMT
 tandem COBOL to IBM Mainframe MVS COBOL Conversion

Quote:
> The big problem may be in the files themselves.  Does Tandem
> use ASCII?  IBM uses EBCDIC so files may need conversion.
> Some systems also sort numbers before letters so the outcome
> of sorts may be different.  IBM it's letters first.  I did a
> conversion from Honeywell to IBM and that was the big issue.

Um, the reason the numbers and letters sort in different priorities is
BECAUSE of the difference in character set (EBCDIC-ASCII).

Of course, there's always COLLATING SEQUENCE...or for that matter, CHARACTER
SET in the FD, but I have NEVER seen the latter  used 'for real'.

MCM

Sat, 02 Jul 2005 23:35:13 GMT
 tandem COBOL to IBM Mainframe MVS COBOL Conversion

Dear Robert,

             Thanks for your valuable advice.I have following queries
             regarding the assignment you have done conversion from
             Honeywell to IBM.
1)Can you pl tell me the challenges faced in this assignment?
2)Have you used any tool for migration exercise?
2)How you  done the file conversion?
3)Have you done any CICS/BMS Screens translation on IBM system?
4)Have you done any JCL translation on IBM system?

Again thanks for your reply to my post.

Thanks and Best of Regards,

Sachin Satam

Fri, 08 Jul 2005 12:58:04 GMT
 tandem COBOL to IBM Mainframe MVS COBOL Conversion

Dear Colin,

             Thanks for your reply.
Well I am also Mainfrmae proffesional and do not know much about
Tandem platform.

We want to convert
SCOBOL  to CICS
ENFORM  to COBOL
TAL   to  C
TACL/NET BATCH JOB CONTROL  to JCL
Screens to BMS Maps.

Tandem platform has its own type/set of invetory like we have it on IBM
mainframe.So I have to migrate this on IBM as it is.

What are the challenges you forsee in this assignment?

You exactly right in pinpointing that we have to change the
select clauses.
Are you any aware of any tools which handles this type of migration.
I guess generation of CICS programs and equivalent BMS screen and
let them talk to each other is going to be a challenge. What is
your opinion?

Again thanks for your prompt reply.
Waiting for your feedback.

Thanks and Regards,

Sachin Satam

Fri, 08 Jul 2005 13:05:52 GMT
 tandem COBOL to IBM Mainframe MVS COBOL Conversion

Quote:

>Dear Robert,

>             Thanks for your valuable advice.I have following queries
>             regarding the assignment you have done conversion from
>             Honeywell to IBM.
>1)Can you pl tell me the challenges faced in this assignment?
>2)Have you used any tool for migration exercise?
>2)How you  done the file conversion?
>3)Have you done any CICS/BMS Screens translation on IBM system?
>4)Have you done any JCL translation on IBM system?

5) Do you have a copy of the final exam that I could just 'take a look'
at?

DD

Fri, 08 Jul 2005 21:31:09 GMT
 tandem COBOL to IBM Mainframe MVS COBOL Conversion

Quote:

> 5) Do you have a copy of the final exam that I could just 'take a look'
> at?

> DD

Sorry, I failed the final exam.  It was on the morning after
I waited 3 hours to get into the 1 AM showing of "The Empire
Strikes Back".  Ah, but I was young and foolish then, now
I'm old and foolish (otherwise I'd be doing something else
that programming in COBOL). :)

Fri, 08 Jul 2005 23:32:27 GMT
 tandem COBOL to IBM Mainframe MVS COBOL Conversion

Quote:

> Dear Robert,

>              Thanks for your valuable advice.I have following queries
>              regarding the assignment you have done conversion from
>              Honeywell to IBM.
> 1)Can you pl tell me the challenges faced in this assignment?

The night the product had to be installed, New York City was
in the midst of a blizzard, and I had to get home to New
Jersey - over an hour in good weather, almost impossible
when the trains are either not running or delayed for hours.
  Other than that, no challenges.

Quote:
> 2)Have you used any tool for migration exercise?

Just my brain.  It was in the 1980's and we didn't even have
real PC's, just dumb terminals.  (At least the IBM 3270 Mark
IV's were in color - an improvement over the normal sickly
green.)

Quote:
> 2)How you  done the file conversion?

I had to create a table to convert ASCII to EBCDIC character
for character in each record.  Read in the original file,
translated the characters, wrote out new file.

Quote:
> 3)Have you done any CICS/BMS Screens translation on IBM system?

No.

Quote:
> 4)Have you done any JCL translation on IBM system?

Not in case above.  But I have done IBM VM/CMS to IBM MVS
JCL conversions, along with changes to COBOL programs.  MVS
JCL is more wordy, requiring more "cards".  Change to
programs was minimal, mostly in file identification area.

Quote:

> Again thanks for your reply to my post.

> Thanks and Best of Regards,

> Sachin Satam

You're welcome.  Lots of luck.
Quote:
> --

Fri, 08 Jul 2005 23:39:24 GMT
 tandem COBOL to IBM Mainframe MVS COBOL Conversion
I did a Honeywell to IBM conversion in the '80s.

<snip>

Quote:
> 1)Can you pl tell me the challenges faced in this assignment?

<snip>
Data names and paragraph names can be the same on the
Honeywell system. They cannot in VS/COBOL.

ASSIGN/SELECT clauses are different because the way files
are handled is a bit different.

"CARD" based data is different! Because the Honeywell is a
36 bit, word oriented architecture, you could have more
characters of data in a card than IBM could. However, the
actual card (assuming you still have them) can only have 80
characters of data (also assuming the 80 column card is in
use).

Binary data (fixed point or floating point) is different
between the two architectures. Again, because of 36 bit word
sizes v. 32 bit word sizes, there are some problems in
converting/migrating the data.
<snip>

Quote:
> 2)Have you used any tool for migration exercise?

<snip>
No tool for the COBOL. We used Hyper_Channel for
communications between the two systems. It was able to
handle 90+% of the data migration issues.
<snip>
Quote:
> 2)How you  done the file conversion?

<snip>
Via Hyper_Channel. However, for those cases where the data
formats are/were not equivalent, I wrote a program to
convert all data to ASCII, numeric fields would have sign
separate following. Then on the IBM side I would read that
data and move it into the output record field by field to
get my conversion.
<snip>
Quote:
> 3)Have you done any CICS/BMS Screens translation on IBM system?

<snip>
No. In my case, there was another group that was doing the
online program conversions. So I never saw the equivalents
in/from the Honeywell system.
<snip>
Quote:
> 4)Have you done any JCL translation on IBM system?

<snip>
Yes. I even had jobs submitted to the Honeywell system from
IBM that would get data for me, then cause a job to be run
on the IBM system to process the data, then run a follow-on
job on the Honeywell system... So I had JOBs in my libraries
that had both type of job control intermixed and on both
systems!

--
Steve Thompson
www.vsstrategies.com

Sat, 09 Jul 2005 11:49:29 GMT

1. IBM Mainframe to IBM Unix Cobol conversion?

2. Conversion from Tandem 85 to IBM cobol 370

3. Migrate tandem COBOL to IBM COBOL

4. Boston, MA -- (2) Sr. P/As - Cobol / IBM Mainframe / MVS / TSO / JCL / Financial Apps

5. Boston, MA -- (2) Sr. P/As - Cobol / IBM Mainframe / MVS / TSO / JCL / Financial Apps

6. Boston, MA -- (2) Sr. P/As - Cobol / IBM Mainframe / MVS / TSO / JCL / Financial Apps

7. What's new *and* interesting for IBM mainframe COBOL programmers - in the next COBOL Standard

8. IBM Mainframe COBOL vs. AS/400 COBOL