Informix RDBMS COBOL Compiler
Author Message
 Informix RDBMS COBOL Compiler

Hi EveryBody,
Another request for info, Is there somebody familiar with Informix who can
help me? I have been told that a certain companies apps are compiled using a
proprietry compiler associated with Informix RDBMS. What is this likely to
mean? 1] that they have an Informix database with some COBOL code compiled
into it. 2] that they have some COBOL applications compiled in say
MicroFocus that access an Informix database by some means (ODBC or 3rd party
tool) or 3] some other possibility?
thanks for your help
David

Fri, 09 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Informix RDBMS COBOL Compiler

Quote:
> Hi EveryBody,
> Another request for info, Is there somebody familiar with Informix who can
> help me? I have been told that a certain companies apps are compiled using
> proprietry compiler associated with Informix RDBMS. What is this likely to
> mean? 1] that they have an Informix database with some COBOL code compiled
> into it. 2] that they have some COBOL applications compiled in say
> MicroFocus that access an Informix database by some means (ODBC or 3rd
party
> tool) or 3] some other possibility?
> thanks for your help
> David

David, this is likely to be the RDBMS pre-compiler. not 100% sure, but i
think this translates SQL statements in the application source code into API
calls. this is how the COBOL application is able to call the database for
the requests as described by the SQL statements. each RDBMS vendor has their
own pre-compiler (makes sense, as it's their own proprietary API).

alternatively, you can probably use ODBC drivers directly (API programming).
also, Merant's (formerly Micro Focus) Net Express (Win NT) and Server
Express (UNIX) products have a facility called "Open Embedded SQL" which
allows you to use ODBC drivers via SQL syntax. this allows you to use SQL
without depending on the RDBMS vendors pre-compiler. it's also very useful
if you want to switch (or target multiple) RDBMS's (no application source
code changes necessary).

hope this helps some. my knowledge is a tad flakey here (warning ;-).
--
Gazaloo
gaz at home dot com

Fri, 09 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Informix RDBMS COBOL Compiler

Quote:

>Hi EveryBody,
>Another request for info, Is there somebody familiar with Informix who can
>help me? I have been told that a certain companies apps are compiled using
>proprietry compiler associated with Informix RDBMS. What is this likely to
>mean? 1] that they have an Informix database with some COBOL code compiled
>into it. 2] that they have some COBOL applications compiled in say
>MicroFocus that access an Informix database by some means (ODBC or 3rd
party
>tool) or 3] some other possibility?
>thanks for your help

Generally speaking, supporting a RDBMS, could be development in any
language.

Basically, what you do is
    a) Your choice of RDBMS is ANSI compliant and b) the compiler of your
choice supports SQL.
    b) Your choice of RDBMS is providing a library of management routines,
and the compiler of your
        choice supports that library.
    c) Your choice of RDBMS provides an ODBC interface (server), the
compiler of your choice
        supports ODBC (client).

There is no magic, more like a question about rights and will.

Cheesle

Fri, 09 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Informix RDBMS COBOL Compiler
David,

Could be anything from SQL calls into Informix through to C-ISAM.  However...

With Microfocus Cobol, the underlying file system came from Informix.  It is a
modification of the earlier C-ISAM V1.0.  It is also easy to link in the
unmodified C-ISAM from Informix.

However, this is not really a DBMS.

I don't use Informix stuff, so don't believe everything I say, but I believe
there are a couple of generations of Informix's Database.  The original actually
uses C-ISAM to store the data but has a data dictionary and associated DBMS
software to go with it.  This means that in theory you should be able to set up
a data dictionary that had the appropriate tables defined and then use
Informix's DBMS to read the Cobol data.

Unfortunately, Cobol is a bit too flexible in the data types allowed and
Informix can't cope with the various different types of COMP numeric fields.

However, some folks have had a bit of success using Progress's C-ISAM gateway to
have the DBMS access the Cobol C-ISAM files.

Quote:

> Hi EveryBody,
> Another request for info, Is there somebody familiar with Informix who can
> help me? I have been told that a certain companies apps are compiled using a
> proprietry compiler associated with Informix RDBMS. What is this likely to
> mean? 1] that they have an Informix database with some COBOL code compiled
> into it. 2] that they have some COBOL applications compiled in say
> MicroFocus that access an Informix database by some means (ODBC or 3rd party
> tool) or 3] some other possibility?
> thanks for your help
> David

Sat, 10 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. US-TX-DFW Application Developer - OOP, RDBMS, UNIX, Smalltalk, Informix

2. OOP, RDBMS, IBM Visual Age/SmallTalk, Informix and Perl preferred

3. Mikro Focus Cobol Compiler 3.0/ Personal Cobol Compiler 2.0

4. Accessing Solid rdbms with cobol

5. VAX/COBOL and RDBMS - help !

6. VAX/COBOL and RDBMS - help !

7. VAX/COBOL and RDBMS - help !