Micro Focus vs Fujitsu COBOL
Author Message
 Micro Focus vs Fujitsu COBOL

Hello,

I am just in the process of evaluating PC COBOL and would like to know if
someone has done any sort of comparison between these 2. or used both of
them.  Micro Focus (Net Express) costs about 5 times as much as Fujitsu and
I would think there would be some fairly significant differences between the
2. I talked to Micro Focus and they couldn't really provide any reasons that
would justify the difference.

We need  support for the following:

    1. MS SQL Server
    2. Be able to call COBOL programs from Visual Basic and visa versa
    3. Handle large volumes of data (millions of records)
    4. Capability to create GUI applications
    5. Print support for HP PCL or postscript printers using some sort of
forms capability

Thanks

Vic Spainhower

Sun, 17 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Micro Focus vs Fujitsu COBOL
A little off topic, but may I suggest that you take a look at the Casegen
GUI product at www.casegen.co.uk. Our GUI product will work with Fujitsu
(and MicroFocus very soon) and will even allow you to swap between them.
Casegen is very fast, generating Windows programs in nearly 100% Cobol and
is a strong candidate for any GUI Windows work having been proved in the
real world!

Currently, (but not for long), Casegen is available for just $50 USD.

Quote:

>Hello,

>I am just in the process of evaluating PC COBOL and would like to know if
>someone has done any sort of comparison between these 2. or used both of
>them.  Micro Focus (Net Express) costs about 5 times as much as Fujitsu and
>I would think there would be some fairly significant differences between
the
>2. I talked to Micro Focus and they couldn't really provide any reasons
that
>would justify the difference.

>We need  support for the following:

>    1. MS SQL Server
>    2. Be able to call COBOL programs from Visual Basic and visa versa
>    3. Handle large volumes of data (millions of records)
>    4. Capability to create GUI applications
>    5. Print support for HP PCL or postscript printers using some sort of
>forms capability

>Thanks

>Vic Spainhower

Thu, 21 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Micro Focus vs Fujitsu COBOL
I have been working with Fujitsu PowerCobol for about
5 months now, and it includes all the features
you are looking for.  Execution speed seems to be quite good.

I also looked at MicroFocus product before purchasing, but
couldn't get anyone in their tech support to walk me through
a basic compile and run, to learn the basic syntax.  I figured
if the pre-sale support during the evaluation was that bad, the
after-sale support would have to be worse.

On the other hand, a Fujitsu rep spent 2 hours with me on
the phone, walking through the basic features.  I've received
two software upgrades in the mail (they just show up).  The
tech rep was excellent, and eager to help (I didn't feel like

longer there, but I haven't needed any help in the last couple
of months.

I will tell you the "learning curve" is very steep for these products.
Moving software written for the old line#, position #, type syntax
is very different.  The Fujitsu product is intended to be an event-driven
syntax, not procedure driven as with traditional cobol.  You could
write a procedure-driven program with it, but that would be a
waste of the products core features.

I never did complete the evaluation of the Micro Focus product,
and it may be very good, but I'm committed to the Fujitsu product
now (and not regretting the decision).

--
don ferrario
http://www.epix.net/~ferrario

Quote:

>>Hello,

>>I am just in the process of evaluating PC COBOL and would like to know if
>>someone has done any sort of comparison between these 2. or used both of
>>them.  Micro Focus (Net Express) costs about 5 times as much as Fujitsu
and
>>I would think there would be some fairly significant differences between
>the
>>2. I talked to Micro Focus and they couldn't really provide any reasons
>that
>>would justify the difference.

>>We need  support for the following:

>>    1. MS SQL Server
>>    2. Be able to call COBOL programs from Visual Basic and visa versa
>>    3. Handle large volumes of data (millions of records)
>>    4. Capability to create GUI applications
>>    5. Print support for HP PCL or postscript printers using some sort of
>>forms capability

>>Thanks

>>Vic Spainhower

Fri, 22 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Fujitsu vs. Micro Focus

2. Micro Focus VS Cobol Library File

3. Micro Focus vs Cobol II on sco openserver 5

4. Micro Focus 2.4.38 EXTFH and Micro Focus 3.1.35 compiler

5. Visual Age cobol calling Micro Focus cobol

6. CA Realia vs Micro Focus Workbench

7. Comparison of Micro Focus vs. CA Realia II

8. WANG VS Conversion to Micro Focus on PC

9. C Versus Micro Focus COBOL Efficiency

10. A problem with Micro-focus Cobol (HP 9000/840)

11. Micro Focus Cobol Error Messages

12. New copy In Micro Focus Cobol