Two questions (Sorry, Goobers no cash involved :-)
Author Message
 Two questions (Sorry, Goobers no cash involved :-)

Quote:

> Question number 1:  I've recently taken on a system written in Cobol on the
> P.C. and am using Write and PE as editors. When I was programming Cobol
> full-time (Burroughs Mainframe) I used the CANDE text editor. Any opinions
> on good editors for cobol on the PC?

There is a free ISPF editor that runs under OS2 or DOS at
http://www.*-*-*.com/

CTC has a series of ISPF type editors for sale ($199.00) at
http://www.*-*-*.com/ .  There are versions for
Windows, OS/2, and DOS.  SPF/PC is similar to the mainframe ISPF.
They also sell 3 other SPF products that support GUI interfaces.

Wed, 22 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Two questions (Sorry, Goobers no cash involved :-)

Quote:

>Question number 2:  I am looking at moving the system from a character based
>compiler to a compiler that supports windows. Realia isn't an option. I've
>looked at MicroFocus NetExpress and Acucobol.  I like the de{*filter*}/editor/project
>management stuff in MicroFocus but actually prefer the Acucobol code because
>I find it easier to understand and learn. Any comments on Acucobol would be
>appreciated (good and/or bad).

hmm. i think the amount of service that a company offers is more
important than which has better code. i would try asking both
companies a simple Cobol question, and see which one answers better.
the company which does, deserves your business, and the other can
rot...

Wed, 22 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Two questions (Sorry, Goobers no cash involved :-)

Quote:
> Question number 1:  I've recently taken on a system written in Cobol on
the
> P.C. and am using Write and PE as editors. When I was programming Cobol
> full-time (Burroughs Mainframe) I used the CANDE text editor. Any
opinions
> on good editors for cobol on the PC?

SPF/PC.  There are a lot of others out there, including the free
downloadable ones others have mentioned, and Slick Edit, etc., but SPF/PC
is still the best.
Quote:

> Question number 2:  I am looking at moving the system from a character
based
> compiler to a compiler that supports windows. Realia isn't an option.
I've
> looked at MicroFocus NetExpress and Acucobol.  I like the

de{*filter*}/editor/project
Quote:
> management stuff in MicroFocus but actually prefer the Acucobol code
because
> I find it easier to understand and learn. Any comments on Acucobol would
be
> appreciated (good and/or bad).

Actually, right now you should look at Visual Age for COBOL (IBM, or
course) and Fujitsu COBOL (www.adtools.com).  The latter is even offering a
free eval CD for which you can ask at their website.  Had you asked last
week, you would have had a permanent free license for the base product.
Check it out soon, and they might still send you one.

BTW, most, if not all, of the PC COBOL products supply their own editors,
of varying adequacy.

Wed, 22 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Two questions (Sorry, Goobers no cash involved :-)

Question number 1:  I've recently taken on a system written in Cobol on the
P.C. and am using Write and PE as editors. When I was programming Cobol
full-time (Burroughs Mainframe) I used the CANDE text editor. Any opinions
on good editors for cobol on the PC?

Question number 2:  I am looking at moving the system from a character based
compiler to a compiler that supports windows. Realia isn't an option. I've
looked at MicroFocus NetExpress and Acucobol.  I like the de{*filter*}/editor/project
management stuff in MicroFocus but actually prefer the Acucobol code because
I find it easier to understand and learn. Any comments on Acucobol would be
appreciated (good and/or bad).

 Thanks
   DJ

Wed, 22 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Two questions (Sorry, Goobers no cash involved :-)

Quote:

> Question number 1:  I've recently taken on a system written in Cobol on the
> P.C. and am using Write and PE as editors. When I was programming Cobol
> full-time (Burroughs Mainframe) I used the CANDE text editor. Any opinions
> on good editors for cobol on the PC?

For this one no cash need be involved; you are not asking us to help you
with homework or supply you with free conversion advice ('Just for
curiousity's sake... what's the best way to convert from macro- to
command-level CICS?  This isn't my job, of course, I just wanna know...'
... and I am the King of England, too)

For COBOL on the PC, though, I can offer *very* limited experience... I
use a copy of MicroFocus 1.3.0 that dates back to 10 Jun 86... *fine*
editor, though.

Quote:

> Question number 2:  I am looking at moving the system from a character based
> compiler to a compiler that supports windows. Realia isn't an option. I've
> looked at MicroFocus NetExpress and Acucobol.  I like the de{*filter*}/editor/project
> management stuff in MicroFocus but actually prefer the Acucobol code because
> I find it easier to understand and learn. Any comments on Acucobol would be
> appreciated (good and/or bad).

I have *no* suggestions for this... MicroFocu 1.3.0, remember?

DD

Wed, 22 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Two questions (Sorry, Goobers no cash involved :-)

Quote:

>Question number 1:

As for this one you can try "MULTI-EDIT for Windows" from
http://www.*-*-*.com/ {*filter*}.com
It is quite good and fully customizable

Quote:

>Question number 2:

As for this one  I suggest that you use the tools from www.flexus.com
to design for windows as they are portable within
Acucobol/MF-COBOL/RM/COBOL in character based or GUI based
and it works very well. With Flexus you also have a tool for printing
in windows.

Best regards

Fri, 24 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Two questions (Sorry, Goobers no cash involved :-)

Quote:

>Question number 1:  I've recently taken on a system written in Cobol on the
>P.C. and am using Write and PE as editors. When I was programming Cobol
>full-time (Burroughs Mainframe) I used the CANDE text editor. Any opinions
>on good editors for cobol on the PC?

I've used WinEdit for awhile - not bad as far as features go.  Download an
eval from http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;- I have copies of config files for
COBOL85 + Acucobol color highlighting & am working on getting it to do
automatic error-highlighting after a compile.  It's reasonably fast &
just about any function can be assigned a keystroke.

Quote:
>looked at MicroFocus NetExpress and Acucobol.  I like the de{*filter*}/editor/project
>management stuff in MicroFocus but actually prefer the Acucobol code because
>I find it easier to understand and learn. Any comments on Acucobol would be
>appreciated (good and/or bad).

Having a vested interest (see my .sig) I won't say anything other than a) I've
written a ~15,000 line Acucobol-GT GUI program that's 100% COBOL & very easy to
follow and b) Acucobol will have a full programmer's workbench in 4.0 - there's
a press release at http://www.*-*-*.com/

--

# Replace "$no_lunch_meat$" with "acucobol"... (Thanks Spamford!)

Sat, 01 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. A macro involving two sub-macros - where the 2nd macro needs results from the first

2. c-ffi question involving c-struct

3. Syntax Question involving parameters, function, ranges...

4. The Goobers - DD

5. Fortran syntax question (involving **)

6. Conformance question involving equivalence

7. Intersesting Questions involving extending and embedding

8. NEED CASH..GET CASH..NOT A SCAM

9. read two sets of data from two spread sheet files to two arrays problem

10. Cash Drawer question

11. Very basic (sorry) question