CALL X"F5" 
Author Message
 CALL X"F5"

I am now responsible for a Microfocus Cobol application running on
PC-DOS 4.0 and I see several different CALL statements in the code
with what appear to be hexadecimal parameters being passed. I assume
that these are operating system calls. Can someone confirm this? How
do I get a list of this calls?

Thanks for the help.

Chuck



Tue, 16 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 CALL X"F5"

Quote:
> PC-DOS 4.0 and I see several different CALL statements in the code
> with what appear to be hexadecimal parameters being passed. I assume
> that these are operating system calls. Can someone confirm this? How
> do I get a list of this calls?

No, they are not operating system calls, they are calling routines in
the Cobol run time.  These are described (mostly) in the 'Operating
Guide'.

CALL x"F5" is 'unpack byte' which takes each bit of a byte out
to a byte value in an array.

      01  Byte       PIC 99 COMP.
      01  Bits       PIC 99 COMP OCCURS 8.

      CALL x"F5" USING Byte Bits

will result in Bits(1) having the bit setting of the first bit of
Byte, and so on.

CALL x"F4" is the opposite, it packs Bits into Byte.

Which version of MF Cobol is this ?



Tue, 16 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 CALL X"F5"

Quote:

>I am now responsible for a Microfocus Cobol application running on

there is a list of function calls for "rename" "delete" etc
in a seperate manual in the set of MF manuals.
A whole lot of "F" series..look for it.  If you can't find, let me
know.  Can get.
Luck.
..and stir with a Runcible spoon


Wed, 17 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 CALL X"F5"

Quote:


>> PC-DOS 4.0 and I see several different CALL statements in the code
>No, they are not operating system calls, they are calling routines in
>the Cobol run time.  These are described (mostly) in the 'Operating
>Guide'.
>CALL x"F5" is 'unpack byte' which takes each bit of a byte out
>to a byte value in an array.
>      01  Byte       PIC 99 COMP.
>      01  Bits       PIC 99 COMP OCCURS 8.
>      CALL x"F5" USING Byte Bits
>will result in Bits(1) having the bit setting of the first bit of
>Byte, and so on.
>CALL x"F4" is the opposite, it packs Bits into Byte.
>Which version of MF Cobol is this ?

Richard,

This is MF 2.4.17. I called NF to get some manuals the other day and
they just laughed. Said we should upgrade but this is for a retail
application for a struggling company. They are not going to spend any
money right now!!

Chuck



Thu, 18 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 CALL X"F5"

Quote:

> >CALL x"F4" is the opposite, it packs Bits into Byte.

> >Which version of MF Cobol is this ?

> Richard,

> This is MF 2.4.17. I called NF to get some manuals the other day and
> they just laughed. Said we should upgrade but this is for a retail
> application for a struggling company. They are not going to spend any
> money right now!!

CALL x"F5" and x"F4" are as described in this and later versions.

If you send me the calls that you want to know about I could
explain them.



Thu, 18 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 CALL X"F5"

Quote:

>I am now responsible for a Microfocus Cobol application running on
>PC-DOS 4.0 and I see several different CALL statements in the code
>with what appear to be hexadecimal parameters being passed. I assume
>that these are operating system calls. Can someone confirm this? How
>do I get a list of this calls?

>Thanks for the help.

>Chuck



Sat, 20 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 CALL X"F5"

Quote:

>I am now responsible for a Microfocus Cobol application running on
>PC-DOS 4.0 and I see several different CALL statements in the code
>with what appear to be hexadecimal parameters being passed. I assume
>that these are operating system calls. Can someone confirm this? How
>do I get a list of this calls?

>Thanks for the help.

>Chuck

Chuck:

These calls are explained in the chapter "subprograms for special
functions" in the operating guide (at least for my copy of MF Cobol
3.0.  There are 22 different calls.

Ed



Sat, 20 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 CALL X"F5"

Quote:

>I am now responsible for a Microfocus Cobol application running on
>PC-DOS 4.0 and I see several different CALL statements in the code
>with what appear to be hexadecimal parameters being passed. I assume
>that these are operating system calls. Can someone confirm this? How
>do I get a list of this calls?

In microsoft/microfocus operating guide is a section for this and
about 20 codes including the bits-to-bytes, clear screen, shell to a
COMMAND com, etc.

Need more info?  write.

JR
.now is the time...



Sun, 28 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 8 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. MF Cobol CALL X"F5"

2. string.join(["Tk 4.2p2", "Python 1.4", "Win32", "free"], "for")

3. Followup to "Fortran calling "c", and "c" calling Fortran

4. BEGIN{want[]={"s1o", "s2o", "s2q", "s3q"}

5. Parsing ""D""?

6. "Fifth", "Forth", zai nar?

7. Ruby "finalize", "__del__"

8. beginners "let"/"random" question

9. ANNOUNCE: new "plus"- and "dash"-patches available for Tcl7.5a2/Tk4.1a2

10. Looking for "stdin", "stdout"

11. Fortran calling "c", and "c" calling Fortran

12. Fortran calling "c", and "c" calling Fortran

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software