COBOL 74 vs COBOL 85
Author Message
 COBOL 74 vs COBOL 85

Hello, everybody,

Since a few weeks I am working as programmer/analyst on a WANG VS
system, using the PACE development environment, supported by COBOL 74.
I am experienced with a few languages (Clipper, Foxpro, C++, Siemens
Step-5) in several environments (administrative, technical,
industrial). This made that I hadn't much trouble learning COBOL 74.

Unfortunately, I miss some features of modern programming languages
which make for smaller and better maintainable programs
- real parameter passing, not just for subprograms, but also for
procedures
- local variables
- functions

That's what my question is about : PACE also supports COBOL 85. I would
like to know :
- how does COBOL 85 compare to COBOL 74 in general ?
- how does it compare concerning the above points ?
- would changing from COBOL 74 to COBOL 85 help with the problem that
the "ACCEPT <variable> FROM DATE" statement only returns a format of
the form "YYMMDD" instead of "YYYYMMDD" or does this depend only on the
environment in which the compiler is used ?

I searched the web and usenet for some useful information, but all I
found were mostly adverti{*filter*}ts from the compiler builders and computer
companies. I also found two nice articles, which gave me another reason
why COBOL can be learned relatively quick : it's a language to build
applications, and indeed the need not to find standard functions (like
in C/C++) makes quite a difference.

All replies and further questions are welcome.

Jurgen Defurne
Flanders - Belgium

Wed, 11 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 COBOL 74 vs COBOL 85

Quote:

> Hello, everybody,

> Unfortunately, I miss some features of modern programming languages
> which make for smaller and better maintainable programs
> - real parameter passing, not just for subprograms, but also for

        you can define entrys in COBOL 85.
        An entry can have a local storage section (even recursion is
possible) an has real parameter parsing.
        In fact it is an subprogramm defined in the same source file;
        s.a. OO-Cobol where you can define methods with all the above
features

Quote:
> procedures
> - local variables
> - functions

> That's what my question is about : PACE also supports COBOL 85. I would
> like to know :
> - how does COBOL 85 compare to COBOL 74 in general ?
> - how does it compare concerning the above points ?
> - would changing from COBOL 74 to COBOL 85 help with the problem that
> the "ACCEPT <variable> FROM DATE" statement only returns a format of
> the form "YYMMDD" instead of "YYYYMMDD" or does this depend only on the
> environment in which the compiler is used ?

        in MF >= 3.3.50 you can set a switch to control above behaviour

Fri, 13 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
[...]

Sat, 14 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 COBOL 74 vs COBOL 85

Quote:

>Hello, everybody,

>Since a few weeks I am working as programmer/analyst on a WANG VS
>system, using the PACE development environment, supported by COBOL 74.
>I am experienced with a few languages (Clipper, Foxpro, C++, Siemens
>Step-5) in several environments (administrative, technical,
>industrial). This made that I hadn't much trouble learning COBOL 74.

>Unfortunately, I miss some features of modern programming languages
>which make for smaller and better maintainable programs
>- real parameter passing, not just for subprograms, but also for
>procedures
>- local variables
>- functions

>That's what my question is about : PACE also supports COBOL 85. I would
>like to know :
>- how does COBOL 85 compare to COBOL 74 in general ?
>- how does it compare concerning the above points ?
>- would changing from COBOL 74 to COBOL 85 help with the problem that
>the "ACCEPT <variable> FROM DATE" statement only returns a format of
>the form "YYMMDD" instead of "YYYYMMDD" or does this depend only on the
>environment in which the compiler is used ?

>I searched the web and usenet for some useful information, but all I
>found were mostly adverti{*filter*}ts from the compiler builders and computer
>companies. I also found two nice articles, which gave me another reason
>why COBOL can be learned relatively quick : it's a language to build
>applications, and indeed the need not to find standard functions (like
>in C/C++) makes quite a difference.

>All replies and further questions are welcome.

>Jurgen Defurne
>Flanders - Belgium

Buy Don Nelson's book "Cobol85 for Programmers". US$10.
It's a super book, and a terrific bargain. e-mail him at

Doug Miller

views expressed are mine and not those of
Hospital Health Plan Corp.  "all health care is local"

Sun, 15 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 COBOL 74 vs COBOL 85

Quote:

>Since a few weeks I am working as programmer/analyst on a WANG VS system.
>- would changing from COBOL 74 to COBOL 85 help with the problem that
>the "ACCEPT <variable> FROM DATE" statement only returns a format of
>the form "YYMMDD" instead of "YYYYMMDD" or does this depend only on the
>environment in which the compiler is used ?

Version 3.00.10 of COBOL-85 supports the Intrinsic Function Module
of ANSI X3.23a-1989.

Systems calls for date information return 4-digit years in
Version 7.52.x of the Wang VS/OS.

Local support can be had from:

    Wang Belgium
    Bessenveldstraat 21
    1831 Diegem
    32/2 714-21-11

Thu, 19 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 COBOL 74 vs COBOL 85

Quote:
>I also found two nice articles, which gave me another reason
> why COBOL can be learned relatively quick : it's a language to build
> applications
>Jurgen,

Sorry I can't help you with your question; I'm on the same boat learning
COBOL. The two articles that you mention, are they on the Internet? If
so, where so that I can get them?
Thanks.
Luis Espinal
--

What does not kill us makes us stronger
...abort, retry, ignore ?

Sat, 21 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. COBOL 74 vs COBOL 85

2. COBOL 74 v's COBOL 85 Usage

3. WANTED: ANSI COBOL (74 - 85)

4. Difference between Cobol 74 and 85

5. ansi 74/85 cobol

6. cobol 85 vs cobol II ???

7. COBOL 85 Vs COBOL II

8. EXIT PROGRAM ('74 vs '85 Standard)

9. Umstellung COBOL 74 -> COBOL 85 hier COMP-3 Felder

10. Differences between COBOL 74 and COBOL 85 - where can I find a list ?

11. cobol runtime error 46 for cobol 85

12. R/M COBOL 85 to COBOL-WOW Conversion