The Micro Focus scam
Author Message
 The Micro Focus scam

I purchased Micro Focus 4 months ago Found a serios bug in the program with the
Function Char(),  I also have ran into some other problems with the screen write
routines.  Well I tried to send E-mail to Micro-Focus and got back a message
that "This support is only available to Compuserve customers"  I then called the
company today to talk with a person and was told that I had to go through
Compuserve or BUY a $500.00 service package.

This is BS!!!  I puirchase a program that doesn't work correctly and then have
to PAY to report it!.

Does anyone know of a good compiler for the PC that treats the customer with
respect.
ICU812

Sat, 06 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 The Micro Focus scam

I have to agree, Micro Focus tech support is missing.  I've been fairly
pleased with Visual Object COBOL for Win95, but there haven't been any
response to problems I've encountered from their "WebSync" web site, except
for some automated ditty.  So, if something doesn't work, it isn't going to
get fixed.

Too bad, I think the product had potential.

Barry Carr

Quote:
> [...]

Sat, 06 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 The Micro Focus scam

Quote:
> I purchased Micro Focus 4 months ago Found a serios bug in the program
with the
> Function Char(),  I also have ran into some other problems with the
screen write
> routines.  Well I tried to send E-mail to Micro-Focus and got back a
message
> that "This support is only available to Compuserve customers"  I then
called the
> company today to talk with a person and was told that I had to go through
> Compuserve or BUY a $500.00 service package.

> This is BS!!!  I puirchase a program that doesn't work correctly and then
have
> to PAY to report it!.

> Does anyone know of a good compiler for the PC that treats the customer

Try Fujitsu's at http://www.adtools.com AND it's free!

Remove the  '-'   from orion-data for sending email to me.

Orion Data Systems

Solicitations to me must be pre-approved in writing
by me after soliciitor pays $1,000 US per incident.
Solicitations sent to me are proof you accept this
notice and will send a certified check forthwith.

Sat, 06 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 The Micro Focus scam

Try Fujitsu COBOL (it's FREE!), or AcuCOBOL.  Most COBOL companies will
require you either pay per incident or pay a support fee that gives you
access to their support people.
Timothy Nicholson
Programmer/Analyst
Intelligent Information Systems
Durham, NC

> I purchased Micro Focus 4 months ago Found a serios bug in the program
with the
> Function Char(),  I also have ran into some other problems with the
screen write
> routines.  Well I tried to send E-mail to Micro-Focus and got back a
message
> that "This support is only available to Compuserve customers"  I then
called the
> company today to talk with a person and was told that I had to go through
> Compuserve or BUY a $500.00 service package.

> This is BS!!!  I puirchase a program that doesn't work correctly and then
have
> to PAY to report it!.

> Does anyone know of a good compiler for the PC that treats the customer
with
> respect.
> ICU812

Sat, 06 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 The Micro Focus scam

Quote:

> I purchased Micro Focus 4 months ago Found a serios bug in the program with the
> Function Char(),  I also have ran into some other problems with the screen write
> routines.

Please post a description (with short examples) of your problems on this
newsgroup. I can't guarantee it, but a lot of Micro Focus developers
(myself
included) read this group in their spare time, and may be able to help.
There are
also an awful lot of knowlegable end-users with experience with all
sorts of
different environments who might be able to help. Correct me if I'm
wrong, but
I've not seen anything from you in this forum asking for help yet.

At the very least, include :
1) Version of Micro Focus COBOL you are using.
2) Operating System and version.
3) Versions of any other third party software which is relevant.
4) SHORT example programs including a description of the results seen
   and the results expected (if it's not blatantly obvious).
5) Description of any configuration or environment settings which may be
   important (anything you've changed from the default installation).

Cheers,
Kev.

Any opinions expressed here are my own and are not those of my
employers.

Sat, 06 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 The Micro Focus scam

Quote:

>> Most COBOL companies will
>> require you either pay per incident or pay a support fee that gives you
>> access to their support people.
>Indeed. I don't really want to get into this, but I'd just like to
>say that you wouldn't believe the number of problems which get
>reported to us that end up being user coding errors. This can use
>up an incredible amount of developer resource in understanding and
>debugging someone else's code. If the COBOL vendors absorbed this
>cost on every single incident, then it's probably not worth selling
>the compiler to some people! :)

I do not want to sound like a Micro Focus apologist, but I have been using their
products since 1989 and I have found it to be pretty sound.  Most of the time my
errors turned out to be  compiler directives.  In an attempt to be compatable
with every thing under the sun, it is hard to develop the "correct" set of
options to put in the file cobol.dir.  The compiler does what it is told to
do...

If you want to find fault with MF, try ragging on the documentation.  This is
from the country that brought you the KING'S English :)  Cheers, Bob

.
Robert Schuldenfrei
S. I. Inc.
32 Ridley Road
Dedham, MA  02026
Voice: (617) 329-4828
FAX:   (617) 329-1696

WWW:    http://www.tiac.net/users/tangaroa/index.html

Sat, 06 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 The Micro Focus scam

Quote:

> Most COBOL companies will
> require you either pay per incident or pay a support fee that gives you
> access to their support people.

Indeed. I don't really want to get into this, but I'd just like to
say that you wouldn't believe the number of problems which get
reported to us that end up being user coding errors. This can use
up an incredible amount of developer resource in understanding and
debugging someone else's code. If the COBOL vendors absorbed this
cost on every single incident, then it's probably not worth selling
the compiler to some people! :)

I'm not for a minute suggesting that the problems the original
poster reports having are his and not Micro Focus's - I'm just trying
to shed some light on why it's generally not viable to have free
support, especially in the software programming tools market. This
newsgroup is, in effect, a source of free support - and that's why
I'm surprised that I've not seen a request for help from the original
poster (it is possible I missed it, though).

Cheers,
Kev.

Any opinions expressed are my own and not those of my employers.

Sat, 06 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 The Micro Focus scam

Quote:
> Function Char(),  I also have ran into some other problems with the screen write

If you posted the problem here you may find what is wrong, it may
be you are using them wrongly.

Quote:
> routines.  Well I tried to send E-mail to Micro-Focus and got back a message
> that "This support is only available to Compuserve customers"  I then called the
> company today to talk with a person and was told that I had to go through
> Compuserve or BUY a $500.00 service package.

> This is BS!!!  I puirchase a program that doesn't work correctly and then have
> to PAY to report it!.

> Does anyone know of a good compiler for the PC that treats the customer with
> respect.
> ICU812

No.  Al the COBOL compilers I know are completely indifferent to
the customers, the publishers may be different though.

Sun, 07 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 The Micro Focus scam

Quote:
> I purchased Micro Focus 4 months ago Found a serios bug in the program
with the
> Function Char(),  I also have ran into some other problems with the
screen write
> routines.  Well I tried to send E-mail to Micro-Focus and got back a
message
> that "This support is only available to Compuserve customers"  I then
called the
> company today to talk with a person and was told that I had to go through
> Compuserve or BUY a $500.00 service package.

> This is BS!!!  I puirchase a program that doesn't work correctly and then
have
> to PAY to report it!.

> Does anyone know of a good compiler for the PC that treats the customer
with
> respect.
> ICU812

Get Fujitsu's at

http://www.adtools.com

Remove the  '-'   from orion-data for sending email to me.

Orion Data Systems

Solicitations to me must be pre-approved in writing
by me after soliciitor pays $1,000 US per incident.
Solicitations sent to me are proof you accept this
notice and will send a certified check forthwith.

Tue, 09 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 The Micro Focus scam

Quote:

>Indeed. I don't really want to get into this, but I'd just like to
>say that you wouldn't believe the number of problems which get
>reported to us that end up being user coding errors. This can use
>up an incredible amount of developer resource in understanding and
>debugging someone else's code. If the COBOL vendors absorbed this
>cost on every single incident, then it's probably not worth selling
>the compiler to some people! :)

>I'm not for a minute suggesting that the problems the original
>poster reports having are his and not Micro Focus's - I'm just trying
>to shed some light on why it's generally not viable to have free
>support, especially in the software programming tools market. This
>newsgroup is, in effect, a source of free support - and that's why
>I'm surprised that I've not seen a request for help from the original
>poster (it is possible I missed it, though).

Well... I have to agree with the original poster. MicroFocus tech
support is awful! We have a problem with VisOC and the NT 4.0 IIS
(Internet Information Server). The service rep I was working with
told me that tech support agreed the problem was a VisOC bug and
opened one of their PMR thingys. That was last DECEMBER! I've have
yet to see fix and we still can't have VisOC and IIS running at the
same without disabling all server logons. This is hell on the
development test server because animator will not run without
locking out all the logons from the testers and other developers.
Every time I check on the status of the PMR, I'm told they consider
this an acceptable work-around. NOT in my opinion it isn't. We're
stuck with huge testing hassles. I'll bet if MF tech support had to
do THEIR testing in off-hours they wouldn't consider it an
acceptable work-around.

Wed, 10 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Micro Focus 2.4.38 EXTFH and Micro Focus 3.1.35 compiler

2. IBM 370 ASM emulator from Micro Focus

3. Announce: Micro Focus WWW server

4. ODBC From Micro Focus

5. Micro-focus Coble

6. Micro Focus question

7. Announce: Micro Focus WWW server

8. Micro Focus CompuServe announcement [long]

9. Micro Focus on CompuServe

10. C Versus Micro Focus COBOL Efficiency

11. A problem with Micro-focus Cobol (HP 9000/840)

12. Micro Focus Cobol Error Messages