cobol error 98 in WIndows 2000
Author Message
 cobol error 98 in WIndows 2000

I have a client runnig an accounting inventory software written on
cobol. The software runs great under Windows 95 and Windows 98 Fat32.
When we try to run it in Windows 2000 NTFS it opens up but then get a
Cobol error 98. Does cobol works well using NTFS or not. Any help will
be appreciated

Fernando Delgado

Wed, 21 Jul 2004 01:02:49 GMT
 cobol error 98 in WIndows 2000

Quote:
>I have a client runnig an accounting inventory software written on
>cobol. The software runs great under Windows 95 and Windows 98 Fat32.
>When we try to run it in Windows 2000 NTFS it opens up but then get a
>Cobol error 98. Does cobol works well using NTFS or not. Any help will
>be appreciated

Hi,

As you didn't mention which vendor you are using, I will assume (based
on the error number) that you are using a RM/COBOL runtime.

As far as I know all versions equal or greater than 5.36 will work.
If the version is older than this one then it is possible it doesn't.

Anyway. Error 98 can be caused for several things, so I sugest you run
whatever recovery program you have supplied with your runtime disks
(you do have them DO you?)j
In the case of RM/COBOL this would be normally "recover1.exe".

If you could give us more information it could help.

FF

Wed, 21 Jul 2004 02:04:32 GMT
 cobol error 98 in WIndows 2000
When it's RM/cobol the recover util shoud work.
What's the subcode on the error?

Regards, Ronald Leenheer

Quote:
> I have a client runnig an accounting inventory software written on
> cobol. The software runs great under Windows 95 and Windows 98 Fat32.
> When we try to run it in Windows 2000 NTFS it opens up but then get a
> Cobol error 98. Does cobol works well using NTFS or not. Any help will
> be appreciated

> Fernando Delgado

Wed, 21 Jul 2004 03:41:07 GMT
 cobol error 98 in WIndows 2000
Hi Fernando,

It looks like your  client is running RM/COBOL.  Two things that might be of
interest are found in the READ.ME file for
RM/COBOL version 7.00+ for 32-bit Windows.  You did not say what version of
RM/COBOL you are running but these may be something to look at.  They refer
to Windows NT but I think they apply to Windows 2000 as well.    The
extended error code for the 98 error would be useful to know.

          2. Network Redirector File Caching

               This section applies only to Windows NT Server and
               Workstation.

               By default, when the Windows NT redirector opens a file for
               read or read/write access, the redirector uses the Windows
               NT system cache.  As a result, when data is written to the
               file, it is written to the cache and not immediately flushed
               to the redirector.  The cache manager flushes the data at a
               later time.  If an unrecoverable network error occurs while
               the data is being transferred to the remote server, it may
               cause the write request to fail.

               For more information, see the Microsoft Knowledge Base
                Article:

                http://support.microsoft.com
                /support/kb/articles/q163/4/01.asp

          3. Opportunistic Locking on Windows NT

               This section applies only to Windows NT Server.

               With Opportunistic Locking, if a file is opened in a
               non-exclusive mode, the network redirector requests an
               opportunistic lock of the entire file. As long as no other
               process has the file open, the server will grant this
               oplock, giving the redirector exclusive access to the
               specified file. This will allow the redirector to perform
               read-ahead, write-behind, and lock caching, as long as no
               other process tries to open the file.

               Liant Software recommends that this Windows NT feature be
               disabled.

            For more information, see the Microsoft Knowledge Base
                Article:

                http://support.microsoft.com
                /support/kb/articles/q129/2/02.asp

-Rob

Quote:
> I have a client runnig an accounting inventory software written on
> cobol. The software runs great under Windows 95 and Windows 98 Fat32.
> When we try to run it in Windows 2000 NTFS it opens up but then get a
> Cobol error 98. Does cobol works well using NTFS or not. Any help will
> be appreciated

> Fernando Delgado

Wed, 21 Jul 2004 13:58:43 GMT

1. Moving from Windows 98 to Windows 2000

2. A custom built DLL crashes labview 5.1 in windows 2000 but worked fine in windows 98

3. Help of Fortran 77 in Windows 98 and Windows 2000 or XP.

4. was Re: 4.01Graphics Problem with Windows 98 but not NT or 2000

5. 4.01 - Graphics Problem with Windows 98 but not NT or 2000

6. PL/I compiler for win 98 or Windows 2000

7. AdaGIDE 7.00 release (Ada GUI IDE for Windows 95,98,ME,NT,2000,XP)

8. How to print in Windows 98/2000

9. Error 98 in RM COBOL runtime 2.02.06 for Xenix 2.3.4

10. RM/Cobol 5.3 error message 98,27

11. 98/38 errors on RM/Cobol-85 Indexed datafiles

12. 95/98/nt/2000/me