Help requested re learning cobol on MVS, using ISPF, JCL, TSO, etc
Author Message
 Help requested re learning cobol on MVS, using ISPF, JCL, TSO, etc

I am trying to get a job with a state govt.

I have a BSCS, but no real programming experience (though I currently
work as a SW architect of sorts).

I have a COBOL compiler on my PC, and have picked up the basics of
COBOL.

Can someone tell me what computer/OS the above acronyms (MVS, ISPF,
JCL, TSO)are typically associated with?

How could I learn such environments/tools? A PC emulator perhaps?

Any help is appreciated....

Sat, 17 Jul 2004 01:55:12 GMT
 Help requested re learning cobol on MVS, using ISPF, JCL, TSO, etc

Quote:

> I am trying to get a job with a state govt.

> I have a BSCS, but no real programming experience (though I currently
> work as a SW architect of sorts).

> I have a COBOL compiler on my PC, and have picked up the basics of
> COBOL.

> Can someone tell me what computer/OS the above acronyms (MVS, ISPF,
> JCL, TSO)are typically associated with?

> How could I learn such environments/tools? A PC emulator perhaps?

> Any help is appreciated....

MVS = Multiple Virtual Storage
ISPF = Interactive System Productivity Facility
JCL = Job Control Language
TSO = Time Share Option

These are all IBM mainframes (in historical order: S/360,
S/370, S/370-XA, S/370-ESA, S/390 and finally,
z/Architecture). The operating system in historical order:
OS/MVS, OS/MVS SE(1), OS/MVS SE(2), OS/MVS SP, MVS/SP2
(a/k/a, MVS/XA), MVS/SP3/4/5 (a/k/a, MVS/ESA), OS/390 V1 &
V2 (just "OS/390"), z/OS. Typically all referred to as "MVS"
except possibly for z/OS.

There is a PC emulation of S/370 & S/390. Look for Hercules.
However, unless you know how to be a systems programmer and
all the underlying things that have to be done, I seriously
doubt you will ever get OS/MVS to IPL (IPL= Initial Program
Load, BOOT to you PC and *nix types).

ISPF is also used by another "IBM" mainframe operating
system, called VM (Virtual Machine). JCL is also used with
another "IBM" mainframe operating system called DOS/VSE/ESA
(Disk Operating System / Virtual Storage Extension|Extended,
Enterprise System Architecture).

TSO and ISPF are typically married to each other. Most TSO
users today do not know line commands, or enough line
commands to be able to get by with native TSO. Think of JCL
as the equivalent of BAT for DOS or Windoze. However, BAT is
more like CLIST (Command List) under TSO.

What you need to do is get hired as an intern with a company
that uses mainframes, or find some educational facility that
has a mainframe and take their JCL course, or a COBOL class.
The things that you have learned via a PC do not transfer to
a mainframe until you recognize the actual concepts vs the
implementation idiosyncrasies. Then things will click and
the mainframe implementation will become intuitively
obvious.

--
Steve Thompson
www.vsstrategies.com

Sat, 17 Jul 2004 03:04:25 GMT
 Help requested re learning cobol on MVS, using ISPF, JCL, TSO, etc

Quote:
> MVS = Multiple Virtual Storage
> ISPF = Interactive System Productivity Facility
> JCL = Job Control Language
> TSO = Time Share Option

Of course, what the letters stand for doesn't always have much meaning.
Where's the "customer" in CICS?  Nobody talks about getting some
Productivity Facility emulating software.  Those are just words.

PDF and SPF will get us into the ISPF menu from TSO, but lots of people
refer to the TSO menu.

Sat, 17 Jul 2004 03:14:52 GMT
 Help requested re learning cobol on MVS, using ISPF, JCL, TSO, etc

Hi Cato,

You are talking of IBM mainframe environment (IBM 39XX); MVS is the operating
system (Virual Memory, please), JCL is the command language (just as .bat for
the good ol' PC)IFPS are tools for the developper etc. You would need quite a
load of money to afford such an environment! But, I use it for "free", since it
is my working environement. If you try Amazon.com (no strings attached), you
will find a looot of litterature about all this. Good luck!
Guy
PS: think of the COBOL web ring; lots of gold nuggets...
--
Ce message a ete poste via la plateforme Web club-Internet.fr
This message has been posted by the Web platform club-Internet.fr

http://forums.club-internet.fr/

Sun, 18 Jul 2004 06:17:59 GMT

1. Canada Vancouver - PL/1, IMS, DB2, MVS, TSO, ISPF, JCL - Experienced Programmers

2. US - FL - S.E. ****MVS/CICS PROGRAMMERS (UNIX,MVS/TSO,ISPF,COBOL)****CONTRACT

3. US - FL - MIAMI ****SOFTWARE LIBRARIAN (MVS/TSO,ISPF,COBOL,INSTALL)****CONTRACT

4. RESUME:COBOL,AS400,mainframe,DB2,SQL,TSO,JCL,MVS

5. US-FL-West Palm Beach:: Great Opportunities with COBOL MVS, JCL, TSO CICS

6. Boston, MA -- (2) Sr. P/As - Cobol / IBM Mainframe / MVS / TSO / JCL / Financial Apps

7. Boston, MA -- (2) Sr. P/As - Cobol / IBM Mainframe / MVS / TSO / JCL / Financial Apps

8. Boston, MA -- (2) Sr. P/As - Cobol / IBM Mainframe / MVS / TSO / JCL / Financial Apps

9. US-FL-West Palm Beach:: Great Opportunities with COBOL MVS, JCL, TSO CICS

10. Look for help calling ISPF from MVS/TSO-REXX

11. HELP - FTP JCL OS/VS MVS TSO

12. MVS TSO/ISPF REXX Question