IBM Mainframe COBOL vs. AS/400 COBOL
Author Message
 IBM Mainframe COBOL vs. AS/400 COBOL

I've been transferred from the mainframe to an AS/400 team, and was
wondering if there were any significant differences between the
IBM mainframe COBOL and the AS/400 COBOL.  So far they seem virtually
identical (other than COMP is COMP-3, you gotta say BINARY.)

By the way, are there any differences in coding to get better
performance?  In the mainframe, I made my subscripts COMP SYNC (I don't
like INDEX fields).

Thanks.

Sun, 17 Aug 1997 23:12:48 GMT
 IBM Mainframe COBOL vs. AS/400 COBOL

I heard from a co-worker the "redefines" doesnt exist on AS/400 ?

George
George Lewycky

Wed, 20 Aug 1997 10:01:14 GMT
 IBM Mainframe COBOL vs. AS/400 COBOL

Quote:

> I heard from a co-worker the "redefines" doesnt exist on AS/400 ?

well your co-worker should be fired then

Fri, 22 Aug 1997 03:50:30 GMT
 IBM Mainframe COBOL vs. AS/400 COBOL

Quote:
>> I heard from a co-worker the "redefines" doesnt exist on AS/400 ?

>well your co-worker should be fired then

They probably meant that you can't create redefinitions in AS/400 data
base files via Data Description Specifications (DDS).

Nor can you set up 88 levels, or group levels.  You can redefine the
record layout pulled from the externally described data base file in
your cobol program, but that can defeat the benefits of having the
data described externally and will burn you when someone changes the
DDS but forgets about internal redefines of the record layouts.

You pull multiple physical files together as a single common logical
file in your program, and I guess you could consider that a form of
redefinition also.

Jim Holloway.

Mon, 25 Aug 1997 10:30:22 GMT

1. COBOL/400 on IBM AS/400

2. VS COBOL II to COBOL/400 conversion query

3. Old RM-COBOL UNIX programmer seeking info on move to COBOL/400 on AS/400

4. AS/400, RPG/400, COBOL, CL/400

5. tandem COBOL to IBM Mainframe MVS COBOL Conversion

6. What's new *and* interesting for IBM mainframe COBOL programmers - in the next COBOL Standard

7. VSAM Programming in COBOL vs Assembler on IBM Mainframe

8. Any IBM AS/400 ILE COBOL Programmers Here?

9. PC Based COBOL vs Mainframe COBOL Employment

10. MicroFocus COBOL vs. Mainframe COBOL II

11. IBM Mainframe to IBM Unix Cobol conversion?

12. AS/400 Cobol trying to call an ILE Cobol function in a service progam - Please help