Help - I need Example of Code to Help Print National Characters
Author Message
 Help - I need Example of Code to Help Print National Characters

Hi
I need some assistance in creating a program using MVS Cobol (on
mainframe), that will print such characters as ?????.
I have tried the following...
(1) Wrote a program that reads an input file that contains these
characters and writes them to a report. The report does not produce
these characters.
(2) I have moved the HEX value of these characters to the report and
similar results.
I have been informed that an IBM setting on the mainframe called the
CODE PAGE is where the problem lies. The code page contains a
character set which allows a variety of characters to be used. Can
this setting be manipulated to help get the results I'm looking for,
without necessitating a recompile of all other programs compiled on
the mainframe? And will it do the job I'm hoping it to achieve.
Desperate!

Mon, 04 Jul 2005 15:51:48 GMT
 Help - I need Example of Code to Help Print National Characters

Quote:
>Hi
>I need some assistance in creating a program using MVS Cobol (on
>mainframe), that will print such characters as ?????.
>I have tried the following...
>(1) Wrote a program that reads an input file that contains these
>characters and writes them to a report. The report does not produce
>these characters.
>(2) I have moved the HEX value of these characters to the report and
>similar results.
>I have been informed that an IBM setting on the mainframe called the
>CODE PAGE is where the problem lies. The code page contains a
>character set which allows a variety of characters to be used. Can
>this setting be manipulated to help get the results I'm looking for,
>without necessitating a recompile of all other programs compiled on
>the mainframe? And will it do the job I'm hoping it to achieve.
>Desperate!

One thing that is also going to affect the characters you get in the
report is the setting of the printer (e.g. Code Page, Character set,
emulation).

You said the report did not reproduce the expected characters. What
did you get instead?

The above is only some things that may help you.

FF

Mon, 04 Jul 2005 17:28:50 GMT
 Help - I need Example of Code to Help Print National Characters
On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 09:28:50 +0000, Frederico Fonseca

Quote:

>>Hi
>>I need some assistance in creating a program using MVS Cobol (on
>>mainframe), that will print such characters as ?????.
>>I have tried the following...
>>(1) Wrote a program that reads an input file that contains these
>>characters and writes them to a report. The report does not produce
>>these characters.
>>(2) I have moved the HEX value of these characters to the report and
>>similar results.
>>I have been informed that an IBM setting on the mainframe called the
>>CODE PAGE is where the problem lies. The code page contains a
>>character set which allows a variety of characters to be used. Can
>>this setting be manipulated to help get the results I'm looking for,
>>without necessitating a recompile of all other programs compiled on
>>the mainframe? And will it do the job I'm hoping it to achieve.
>>Desperate!

>One thing that is also going to affect the characters you get in the
>report is the setting of the printer (e.g. Code Page, Character set,
>emulation).

>You said the report did not reproduce the expected characters. What
>did you get instead?

>The above is only some things that may help you.

>FF

Just to summarize, in order to produce natinal characters on a report
you need along with your coding two other things:  You need the code
page on the mainframe and you need the characters on the printer
assuming it isn't a laser printer.

You cannot control those things.  Talk to your system's programmer
and/or operations manager.

Regards,

          ////
         (o o)
-oOO--(_)--OOo-

A conference is a gathering of important people who singly
can do nothing, but together can decide that nothing can
be done. - Fred Allen

Remove nospam to email me.

Steve

Mon, 04 Jul 2005 23:00:09 GMT
 Help - I need Example of Code to Help Print National Characters
I have the Programming Guide V3R2 for Enterprise Cobol for z/OS and OS/390
in .pdf foramt and searching it for the words "code page" turned up a lot
of hits.  There is a CODEPAGE compiler option and some sample code.  There
may be more as I had so may hits that I did not look at them all.

Converting from one code page to another
You can nest the DISPLAY-OF and NATIONAL-OF intrinsic functions to easily
convert
from any code page to any other code page. For example, the following code
converts an EBCDIC string to an ASCII string:

77 EBCDIC-CCSID PIC 9(4)BINARY VALUE 1140.
77 ASCII-CCSID PIC 9(4)BINARY VALUE 819.
77 Input-EBCDIC PIC X(80).
77 ASCII-Output PIC X(80).
*Convert EBCDIC to ASCII
Move Function
Display-of
(Function National-of
(Input-EBCDIC EBCDIC-CCSID),
ASCII-CCSID
)
to ASCII-output
RELATED CONCEPTS
Formats for numeric data on page 40
RELATED TASKS
Assigning input from a screen or file (ACCEPT) on page 29
Displaying values on a screen or in a file (DISPLAY) on page 30
Converting national data on page 107
RELATED REFERENCES
NUMVAL (Enterprise COBOL Language Reference)
NUMVAL-C (Enterprise COBOL Language Reference)
ARITH on page 291
98 Programming Guide

Quote:
> Hi
> I need some assistance in creating a program using MVS Cobol (on
> mainframe), that will print such characters as ?????.
> I have tried the following...
> (1) Wrote a program that reads an input file that contains these
> characters and writes them to a report. The report does not produce
> these characters.
> (2) I have moved the HEX value of these characters to the report and
> similar results.
> I have been informed that an IBM setting on the mainframe called the
> CODE PAGE is where the problem lies. The code page contains a
> character set which allows a variety of characters to be used. Can
> this setting be manipulated to help get the results I'm looking for,
> without necessitating a recompile of all other programs compiled on
> the mainframe? And will it do the job I'm hoping it to achieve.
> Desperate!

Tue, 05 Jul 2005 09:38:17 GMT
 Help - I need Example of Code to Help Print National Characters

Quote:

> Hi
> I need some assistance in creating a program using MVS Cobol (on
> mainframe), that will print such characters as ?????.
> I have tried the following...
> (1) Wrote a program that reads an input file that contains these
> characters and writes them to a report. The report does not produce
> these characters.
> (2) I have moved the HEX value of these characters to the report and
> similar results.
> I have been informed that an IBM setting on the mainframe called the
> CODE PAGE is where the problem lies. The code page contains a
> character set which allows a variety of characters to be used. Can
> this setting be manipulated to help get the results I'm looking for,
> without necessitating a recompile of all other programs compiled on
> the mainframe? And will it do the job I'm hoping it to achieve.
> Desperate!

From what I see of your posting I think your problem is
actually related to NLS (National Language Support).

(Dollar Sign, AT sign, Number/Pound Sign) -- what you have
in the subject.

Meanwhile, it is what JES (2 or 3) is defined to do with
printers that counts.

If the printer(s) are not defined to JES (2 or 3) with the
right character set, then you will not be able to print the
special characters you are after.

As was stated by someone else, you will need to talk to
someone in the systems programming area. Probably the
person(s) who handle all the printer definitions.

--
Steve Thompson
www.vsstrategies.com

Tue, 05 Jul 2005 10:33:06 GMT

1. Code help: need an example

2. Can't print national characters in IDLE with Python 2.2.1c1

3. Need help HP690C print code

4. Help needed: program that prints out its source code when RUN

5. Help! Utter newbie needs help with basic code

7. Help!! Print Chinese Character

8. Help printing extended ASCII character set

9. my program is printing garbage characters. (help)

10. Help: printing Unicode characters during telnet session

11. Need Help: Converting Clarion DOS Code to CW Code

12. Please Help - Need to Convert Fortran Code to C Code