Compatible text editor for UNIX vi editor
Author Message
 Compatible text editor for UNIX vi editor

Warmest Salutations to this group,

I am looking for a text editor I can use at home on my PC to write COBOL
source code and take it to class and FTP it to a UNIX vi editor.
Everything I have tried has been adding control characters to the source
code.  Please help.

I am new to this newsgroup and programming.  I hope you won't mind if I
post some rather novice questions from time to time.  Any help will be
greatly appreciated.  You can e-mail your reply or I will check the
newsgroup.

John W. Lewis

Thu, 06 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Compatible text editor for UNIX vi editor

Quote:
> Warmest Salutations to this group,

> I am looking for a text editor I can use at home on my PC to write COBOL
> source code and take it to class and FTP it to a UNIX vi editor.
> Everything I have tried has been adding control characters to the source
> code.  Please help.

> I am new to this newsgroup and programming.  I hope you won't mind if I
> post some rather novice questions from time to time.  Any help will be
> greatly appreciated.  You can e-mail your reply or I will check the
> newsgroup.

> John W. Lewis

Try VEDIT from Greenview Data.  (313) 996-1300.

Remove the  '-'   from orion-data for sending email to me.

Orion Data Systems

Solicitations to me must be pre-approved in writing
by me after soliciitor pays $1,000 US per incident.
Solicitations sent to me are proof you accept this
notice and will send a certified check forthwith.

Thu, 06 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Compatible text editor for UNIX vi editor

Quote:

> Warmest Salutations to this group,

> I am looking for a text editor I can use at home on my PC to write COBOL
> source code and take it to class and FTP it to a UNIX vi editor.
> Everything I have tried has been adding control characters to the source
> code.  Please help.

> I am new to this newsgroup and programming.  I hope you won't mind if I
> post some rather novice questions from time to time.  Any help will be
> greatly appreciated.  You can e-mail your reply or I will check the
> newsgroup.

> John W. Lewis

You also might want to look into Mortice Kern Systems. They produce a
product called MKS Toolkit that gives you access to over 190 unix
programs under dos/windows, os2, win95, nt 3.51 and 4.0. Great product.
Includes VI, cpio, grep, tar, ps, perl, awk, the korn shell, you get the
point. You can get more info at
http://www.mks.com/solution/tk/spec_52.htm

Good luck.

Steve

            Support the Western Bigfoot Research effort
                         for information:
             http://www.teleport.com/~caveman/wbs.html

url http://www.epix.net/~prgsdw

Thu, 06 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Compatible text editor for UNIX vi editor

Quote:

> Warmest Salutations to this group,

> I am looking for a text editor I can use at home on my PC to write COBOL
> source code and take it to class and FTP it to a UNIX vi editor.
> Everything I have tried has been adding control characters to the source
> code.  Please help.

John - if you're FTP'ing from a PC to the Unix machine, just ensure
that you FTP in "Text" mode (use the "ascii" command to FTP before
the "put" command). This will get FTP to automatically do the
translation for you.

Alternatively, when in "vi", type:

:1,$ s/.$//

This will get 'vi' to strip the last character in each line. A
slightly safer version is to type <ctrl-V><ctrl-M> where that period
is - this will make sure that only ctrl-M's at the end of a line are
stripped.

Cheers,
Kev.

Fri, 07 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Compatible text editor for UNIX vi editor

Quote:

> I am looking for a text editor I can use at home on my PC to write COBOL
> source code and take it to class and FTP it to a UNIX vi editor.
> Everything I have tried has been adding control characters to the source
> code.  Please help.

I believe Watcom produces a vi editor for the PC that does not have this
problem.

Del.

Fri, 07 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Compatible text editor for UNIX vi editor

Quote:

> > I am looking for a text editor I can use at home on my PC to write COBOL
> > source code and take it to class and FTP it to a UNIX vi editor.
> > Everything I have tried has been adding control characters to the source
> > code.  Please help.

> > John W. Lewis

Hi John,

I'm not sure what it is your mean by control characters.
Are you refering to tabs, carriage returns and line feeds,
or something in front of each line?
If you e-mail me and clarify this, I may have something
that can help.

Bill H.

Fri, 07 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Text widgets as basic text editors?

2. Text editor with slightly fancy text abilities

3. Cut and Paste in CFD editor ver CW editor

4. Editor using Python / Editor written in Python

5. VHDL Mode for VI Editor? VHDL

6. vi editor invokation through expect

7. Tcl/Tk and the vi editor

8. Dialog editors 4 UNIX & NT

9. I need a block editor for Unix

10. Dialog editors 4 UNIX

11. UNIX based language sensitive editors

12. Dialog editors 4 UNIX & NT