Thane Hubbell
Author Message
 Thane Hubbell

Hi:

Having not yet recovered from the 'Structure me this'
fiasco, my recovery was hastened by Thane Hubbell
who figured out what I was looking for and took the
time to give me a simple and clear example.

The big mistake, of course, on my part, was just
saying do it over without the GO TOs. I should
have said do it over in the structured style
without the GO TOs.  Since the elimination of
GO TOs appears to be implicit in the use of
structured coding, I assumed that people
would know what I meant.

Remembering that I have been 'At Home Alone'
for almost 20 years, and that I am, therefore
technologically backwards, I did not know
about OPTIONAL files since my interest
in reading COBOL manuals is at a very low level
and I haven't read one in years. I could be
criticized for this, but my abiding interest
in programming has been to do things using
only a small subset of COBOL, and with the
creation of extremely lean and efficient
programs without excess fat or arbitrary
structure, call me a purist in that respect.

Anyway, personally, I would not employ this
structured style and would not advocate it
to others. The Great Programming (non)
contest spurred me to make my own entry
in the contest and to additionally go to
a significant effort to document my methods
and why I find them so effective. That
document will use my COBOL 60 style and
will provide tons of ammunition for those
who will despise it. Nevertheless, I
will publish it on my website and let
everyone rip it to shreds later this
year. Something for the sharks to look
forward to.

I think it is a shame that Thane is the only
person in the whole forum who responded in
a professional, helpful and non-insulting
way and it is to his credit he did that.
(not to forget the few who made some comments
which were not dripping in vitriol.)

Thanks Thane

Tony Dilworth

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Thu, 31 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Thane Hubbell

Quote:
> Thanks Thane

> Tony Dilworth

..and than *you*, Tony.  That is the sort of thing that impresses me to see about my employees.

Did you know that Thane and I "met" in this news group?  It was a fortunate experience for me!

=Dwight=
X1=L, X2=L & the domain is phonetic

Fri, 01 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Thane Hubbell

Quote:

>Thanks Thane

My pleasure.

Fri, 01 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. To Thane Hubbell

2. Using Learn Cobol 24 Hours by Thane Hubbell

3. Thane

4. yeah!! thane and volker

5. Index File Help (Attn: Thane and others)

6. Test for Thane

7. thanks, thane

8. Thane Hubbel winhelp

9. thane and mr. wolfe, you'll love this