COBOL Editor for a Beginner
Author Message
 COBOL Editor for a Beginner

I have recently started a class in COBOL programming at my local
community college.  I work second shift so it is kind of hard to find
enough time to use the computers in the school lab when it is open.
My question is, does anyone know of a good freeware COBOL text editor
that I can use at home that will format my text properly, with respect
to A column and B column text placement? Maybe with adjustable tab
stops, but this is not necessary.

Tue, 09 Mar 2004 11:01:13 GMT
 COBOL Editor for a Beginner

Quote:
> I have recently started a class in COBOL programming at my local
> community college.  I work second shift so it is kind of hard to find
> enough time to use the computers in the school lab when it is open.
> My question is, does anyone know of a good freeware COBOL text editor
> that I can use at home that will format my text properly, with respect
> to A column and B column text placement? Maybe with adjustable tab
> stops, but this is not necessary.

I use either CobEdit..
http://geocities.com/coboltools/cobedit.htm

Or Vi for Windows..
http://www.vim.org/

These are free and work rather well.

Jeff..

Tue, 09 Mar 2004 19:41:42 GMT
 COBOL Editor for a Beginner
If your course compiler came with one, use it.

Quite likely the course compiler and editor can work together.

Quote:
> I have recently started a class in COBOL programming at my local
> community college.  I work second shift so it is kind of hard to find
> enough time to use the computers in the school lab when it is open.
> My question is, does anyone know of a good freeware COBOL text editor
> that I can use at home that will format my text properly, with respect
> to A column and B column text placement? Maybe with adjustable tab
> stops, but this is not necessary.

Tue, 09 Mar 2004 22:50:21 GMT
 COBOL Editor for a Beginner
The couse doesn't come with a a compiler or anything.  The compiler is
at the computer lab and I'm at home when I have a chance to work on
it.
Quote:

>If your course compiler came with one, use it.

>Quite likely the course compiler and editor can work together.

>> I have recently started a class in COBOL programming at my local
>> community college.  I work second shift so it is kind of hard to find
>> enough time to use the computers in the school lab when it is open.
>> My question is, does anyone know of a good freeware COBOL text editor
>> that I can use at home that will format my text properly, with respect
>> to A column and B column text placement? Maybe with adjustable tab
>> stops, but this is not necessary.

Wed, 10 Mar 2004 00:03:24 GMT
 COBOL Editor for a Beginner

Quote:

> I have recently started a class in COBOL programming at my local
> community college.  I work second shift so it is kind of hard to find
> enough time to use the computers in the school lab when it is open.
> My question is, does anyone know of a good freeware COBOL text editor
> that I can use at home that will format my text properly, with respect
> to A column and B column text placement? Maybe with adjustable tab
> stops, but this is not necessary.

I wrote a COBOL editor for my own use, and got such a good reaction
from co-workers that I have released it as open-source freeware.  You
can download the package from
http://www.clockwork-technologies.ab.ca/products.html

It's a beta release, but it's stable, and it runs on Win9x/NT
platforms (hopefully on Win2000/ME as well, but I haven't tested it on
either OS yet).  It's also completely free with no strings attached.

Regards,

Dean Powell
Edmonton, Canada

Wed, 10 Mar 2004 02:26:42 GMT
 COBOL Editor for a Beginner
It might be worthwhile picking up a COBOL compiler-probably either free or
extremely cheap if you're only going to use it for the course. That way in
addition to entering the source code you could do at least some
error-checking against it before you take it into the lab.
Quote:

> The couse doesn't come with a a compiler or anything.  The compiler is
> at the computer lab and I'm at home when I have a chance to work on
> it.

> >If your course compiler came with one, use it.

> >Quite likely the course compiler and editor can work together.

> >> I have recently started a class in COBOL programming at my local
> >> community college.  I work second shift so it is kind of hard to find
> >> enough time to use the computers in the school lab when it is open.
> >> My question is, does anyone know of a good freeware COBOL text editor
> >> that I can use at home that will format my text properly, with respect
> >> to A column and B column text placement? Maybe with adjustable tab
> >> stops, but this is not necessary.

Wed, 10 Mar 2004 03:06:46 GMT
 COBOL Editor for a Beginner

Quote:

> If your course compiler came with one, use it.

> Quite likely the course compiler and editor can work together.

You are suggesting that he steals the software from his school to take
it home.  Apart from this probably being illegal, he may also get thrown
out of the school if he is discovered to even attempt this.

Quote:

> > that I can use at home

You don't specify your environment.  I suspect that this means Windows
9x on the basis that Windows users generally don't seem to even know
that there are other systems and thus it doesn't occur to them that it
should be specified.

You can try setedit in a DOS box (Linux version available) from
http://www.geocities.com/setedit2001/setedit.html

Wed, 10 Mar 2004 16:36:08 GMT
 COBOL Editor for a Beginner
Many courses now come with a compiler for each student-often one of the free
copies. I'm sure that Jerry was assuming this to be the case and not
suggesting that Smiley steal anything. Maybe Jerry's statement could have
been clearer however.
Quote:

> > If your course compiler came with one, use it.

> > Quite likely the course compiler and editor can work together.

> You are suggesting that he steals the software from his school to take
> it home.  Apart from this probably being illegal, he may also get thrown
> out of the school if he is discovered to even attempt this.

> > > that I can use at home

> You don't specify your environment.  I suspect that this means Windows
> 9x on the basis that Windows users generally don't seem to even know
> that there are other systems and thus it doesn't occur to them that it
> should be specified.

> You can try setedit in a DOS box (Linux version available) from
> http://www.geocities.com/setedit2001/setedit.html

Wed, 10 Mar 2004 05:43:17 GMT
 COBOL Editor for a Beginner

Quote:

> > If your course compiler came with one, use it.

> > Quite likely the course compiler and editor can work together.

> You are suggesting that he steals the software from his school to take
> it home.  Apart from this probably being illegal, he may also get thrown
> out of the school if he is discovered to even attempt this.

Are you nuts?

I didn't say 'steal,' 'borrow,' 'appropriate,' or in any way imply gaining
illegitimate possession of anything belonging to another. I didn't SUGGEST
(or hint or even wink) he 'take' anything home, to the moon, or anywhere
else.

Many textbooks on computer languages COME with a compiler (and, yes,
sometimes an editor). I've got an office full of them.

Jeeze!

Wed, 10 Mar 2004 09:02:57 GMT
 COBOL Editor for a Beginner

Quote:

> > > If your course compiler came with one, use it.

> > You are suggesting that he steals the software from his school to take
> > it home.  Apart from this probably being illegal, he may also get thrown
> > out of the school if he is discovered to even attempt this.

> Are you nuts?

> I didn't say 'steal,' 'borrow,' 'appropriate,' or in any way imply gaining
> illegitimate possession of anything belonging to another. I didn't SUGGEST
> (or hint or even wink) he 'take' anything home, to the moon, or anywhere
> else.

He quite carefully stated that he was attending a course at the local
school and wanted an editor for home.  Your suggestion that he use the
one from the course (ie the one at the school) for his needs (ie at
home) indicated precisely that you thought he should transport in some
way from one computer to the other.  In fact you didn't 'suggest' it,
you ordered it.

Either that or you completely failed to actually read the question, or
understand it.

Quote:
> Many textbooks on computer languages COME with a compiler

He wasn't after a compiler.

Quote:
> (and, yes, sometimes an editor). I've got an office full of them.

Well, why didn't you suggest that he get one of these, and identify
which actually would suit his needs for an editor ?

Thu, 11 Mar 2004 01:41:15 GMT
 COBOL Editor for a Beginner
I actually downloaded Fujitsu's PowerCOBOL 3. It has an editor built
in but it doesn't keep track of margins and columns and what not. I've
tried CobEdit, thanks to Jeff Farkas, and it seems to be what I was
looking for. But I will also check out Dean Powell's editor too.
Everyone here has been really helpful. Thanks.

On Fri, 21 Sep 2001 11:06:46 -0800, Calvin Crumrine

Quote:

>It might be worthwhile picking up a COBOL compiler-probably either free or
>extremely cheap if you're only going to use it for the course. That way in
>addition to entering the source code you could do at least some
>error-checking against it before you take it into the lab.

>> The couse doesn't come with a a compiler or anything.  The compiler is
>> at the computer lab and I'm at home when I have a chance to work on
>> it.

>> >If your course compiler came with one, use it.

>> >Quite likely the course compiler and editor can work together.

Thu, 11 Mar 2004 15:09:08 GMT
 COBOL Editor for a Beginner
Hi list, hi Dean,

Quote:

> I wrote a COBOL editor for my own use, and got such a good reaction
> from co-workers that I have released it as open-source freeware.  You
> can download the package from
> http://www.clockwork-technologies.ab.ca/products.html

> It's a beta release, but it's stable, and it runs on Win9x/NT
> platforms (hopefully on Win2000/ME as well, but I haven't tested it on
> either OS yet).  It's also completely free with no strings attached.

looks fine, but ican't find the source, want to try it on linux.

cu Gerald

Sat, 27 Mar 2004 08:39:30 GMT
 COBOL Editor for a Beginner

Quote:

> Hi list, hi Dean,

> > I wrote a COBOL editor for my own use, and got such a good reaction
> > from co-workers that I have released it as open-source freeware.  You
> > can download the package from
> > http://www.clockwork-technologies.ab.ca/products.html

> > It's a beta release, but it's stable, and it runs on Win9x/NT
> > platforms (hopefully on Win2000/ME as well, but I haven't tested it on
> > either OS yet).  It's also completely free with no strings attached.

> looks fine, but ican't find the source, want to try it on linux.

> cu Gerald

Good grief !. Something actually "positive" happens in EDMONTON, Alberta .
Seeing that the COBOL editor is written entirely in Smalltalk - does it make
use of collections and dictionaries ?. Now's the real challenge - write it
in OO COBOL <G>.

Jimmy - from where else ? - Calgary

Sat, 27 Mar 2004 10:40:48 GMT
 COBOL Editor for a Beginner

Hi, Gerald:

Quote:
> Hi list, hi Dean,

> looks fine, but ican't find the source, want to try it on linux.

The source is bundled in with the setup program.  When you run setup,
it should unpack the source along with it.  You should find it in the
same directory into which you have installed the editor; it's a single
file that has the extension '.pac'

If anyone who is working in a non-Microsoft environment would like to
take a look at the source, I'd be more than happy to e-mail it, or I
can make it available from Clockwork's website.

I'd also be interested in hearing any feedback from anyone who has
tried to use Sourcerer for COBOL.  Problems, comments, praises, or
(useful <g>) suggestions for future enhancements are always welcome.

I have not yet decided if it's worth it to port this to Linux...I'd be
willing to do this if there's anough interest from the Linux
community.  Again, input is always welcome.

Regards,
Dean Powell

Sun, 28 Mar 2004 02:26:52 GMT

1. nice and powerful editor for beginner?

2. Suggest a COBOL book for beginners

3. beginner COBOL book?

4. COBOL Beginner with simple question

5. I am a beginner to COBOL(VAX)

6. COBOL Beginner

7. Cobol Beginner needs advice

8. Beginners guide for Cobol (OS390 Environment) but not for pgm'ing

9. Questions From a Beginner of COBOL

10. Question: Text Editor Written in Cobol

11. Text Editors for Cobol.

12. Radical New COBOL Editor & Tracking System