MF COBOL - DB2/2 compile step hangs?
Author Message
 MF COBOL - DB2/2 compile step hangs?

Using the 32 bit OS/2 MF Workbench, I compile my DB2/2 programs via a
command file on the database server.  Usually it works fine, but once
in a while the compile step hangs and I end up having to kill
processes and reboot.   I often have users connected to the same
database I am compiling against - Is this the problem?  Put another
way, does the compiler try to connect in exclusive mode?    Any help
is much appreciated.

- jpg

Wed, 19 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 MF COBOL - DB2/2 compile step hangs?

Quote:

> Using the 32 bit OS/2 MF Workbench, I compile my DB2/2 programs via a
> command file on the database server.  Usually it works fine, but once
> in a while the compile step hangs and I end up having to kill
> processes and reboot.   I often have users connected to the same
> database I am compiling against - Is this the problem?  Put another
> way, does the compiler try to connect in exclusive mode?    Any help
> is much appreciated.

> - jpg

Yes, that most likely is the problem. It's the way DB2 works: the rules
about when you will and will not have to wait are quite complex as they
seem to be related to the proximity of the rows in the system tables in
use by the various programs.  What this means is that if you try to
compile a program then if someone else is accessing the system you may
or may not get queued (note - it should not be a hang).  Unfortunately
there's no way for MF to predict whether this will happen or take any
kind of avoiding action.

--
Regards,
Richard

Wed, 19 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. MF cobol Hangs NT

2. DB2 Collection names with MF Cobol

3. MF Cobol and IBM DB2

4. MF-COBOL Question - DB2 & MTS

5. MF COBOL and DB2/2 v2.1

6. DB2/6000 version 2.0 & MF COBOL

7. Compiling CICS / DB2 programs on IBM VisualAGE COBOL v2.2

8. Cobol compile can't locate db2

9. IBM PC COBOL/CICS/DB2 Compile Probs

10. How to compile and link to C-DLL out of COBOL-DLL (MF)

11. Compile MF COBOL using c-isam?

12. mf cobol and 64-bit compile question