MF Dialog
Author Message
 MF Dialog

Please can any one help me how to create my DLL files with icons and
bitmaps. I'm using Dialog system 32 bits under Win95. In my manual there
references to Windows 3.x  and Windows NT. I can't finde the files needed
to create the DLL files I have to use with my ICN files.

Mon, 01 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 MF Dialog

Quote:

> Please can any one help me how to create my DLL files with icons and
> bitmaps. I'm using Dialog system 32 bits under Win95. In my manual there
> references to Windows 3.x  and Windows NT. I can't finde the files needed
> to create the DLL files I have to use with my ICN files.

Firstly, to build the DLLs you need to have the 32-bit Windows LINK.EXE
and RC.EXE programs available.

If you had the following in an .RC file, called  SAMPLE.RC

100 ICON        mainicon.ico
200 BITMAP      splash.bmp

then to build this into a DLL called sample.dll all you should
have to do is the following

rc sample.rc
link -out:sample.dll -dll -noentry sample.res

If I remember correctly the Microfocus docs refer to an extra file
at the link stage called dsnull.obj, or something like that. This
should not be required.

--
<WARNING: Remove '.nospam' from the E-Mail address before replying>

"When you own Llamas--spit happens"

David Cleland
Post Office IT Services, Concept 2000, 250 Farnborough Rd, Farnborough

Tue, 02 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 MF Dialog

Sadly, you need the Windows 95 SDK, which is now unavailable from
Microsoft.

We have found that if you are willing to distribute your .ico and .bmp
files separately you may state their names explicitly in dialog system, and
they work fine.

Microsoft now provides these functions via something called the MSDN
(Microsoft Developers Network) which is a yearly subscription service.
Areas are not selectable, you get ALL their SDK's or none.  It's over 500
bucks a year.

Quote:
> Please can any one help me how to create my DLL files with icons and
> bitmaps. I'm using Dialog system 32 bits under Win95. In my manual there
> references to Windows 3.x  and Windows NT. I can't finde the files needed
> to create the DLL files I have to use with my ICN files.

Tue, 02 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 MF Dialog

Quote:

>Sadly, you need the Windows 95 SDK, which is now unavailable from
>Microsoft.

No, strictly you just need a resource compiler (and a linker, which
is in the Cobol product), which can be gained from most of the MS
32bit SDKs (not just the Windows 95 SDK).

Quote:
>We have found that if you are willing to distribute your .ico and .bmp
>files separately you may state their names explicitly in dialog system, and
>they work fine.

Yes, you can use .ICO, .BMP, .CUR and .ANI (in later Cobol OSX product
updates) directly in your .ICN file, without any resource number attached.

The files should be on the path/system path/EXE path/COBDIR.
eg (in the .ICN):
[win-bitmaps]
apple : apple.bmp     ; this is a standard Windows bitmap
[win-icons]
orange : orange.ico   ; this is a standard Windows icon

ICO is Windows-format only (on Windows)

[snip]

Quote:

>> Please can any one help me how to create my DLL files with icons and
>> bitmaps. I'm using Dialog system 32 bits under Win95. In my manual there
>> references to Windows 3.x  and Windows NT. I can't finde the files needed
>> to create the DLL files I have to use with my ICN files.

Most of the references in your manual to Windows NT should also include
Windows 95.

Hope that helps,
Steve.

Tue, 02 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. MF Dialog Question - Growing old sucks

2. MF-dialog where to find LINK32

3. MF Dialog

4. MF Dialog System

5. MF Dialog Questions

6. MF Dialog System, how to use

7. MF Dialog question

8. MF Dialog System 2.5.64

9. Help about the use of 3-D on MF Dialog 2.5.64

10. sp2 vs MF Dialog System

11. HELP: MF Dialog System useless with new cobol v3.2

12. MF Dialog System POST-USER-EVENT