TOD Clock
Author Message
 TOD Clock

I am looking for way to use TOD CLOCK in my application. Any idea?

Mon, 18 Apr 2005 04:12:05 GMT
 TOD Clock

:>I am looking for way to use TOD CLOCK in my application. Any idea?

Why? Because it is there?

--

http://www.dissensoftware.com

Mon, 18 Apr 2005 04:56:29 GMT
 TOD Clock
Might be useful if you want to know the time of day....

Pete.

Quote:
> I am looking for way to use TOD CLOCK in my application. Any idea?

                http://www.usenet.com

Mon, 18 Apr 2005 04:46:39 GMT
 TOD Clock

Quote:
> I am looking for way to use TOD CLOCK in my application. Any idea?

If I was confronted by such an idea, I'd look in the index to my manual or
COBOL reference book under "TIME" or "CLOCK" or "DAY" - don't try to lookup
"OF."

Mon, 18 Apr 2005 23:44:49 GMT
 TOD Clock
Preferably make it fully automatic.

Quote:
> I am looking for way to use TOD CLOCK in my application. Any idea?

Mon, 18 Apr 2005 23:41:23 GMT
 TOD Clock

enlightened us:

Quote:
>I am looking for way to use TOD CLOCK in my application. Any idea?

Does Todd know you have his clock?

Regards,

          ////
         (o o)
-oOO--(_)--OOo-

Real Signs:

Tokyo hotel's rules and regulations:

GUESTS ARE REQUESTED NOT TO SMOKE OR DO OTHER
DISGUSTING BEHAVIOURS IN BED.

Remove nospam to email me.

Steve

Tue, 19 Apr 2005 01:22:08 GMT
 TOD Clock

Quote:

> I am looking for way to use TOD CLOCK in my application. Any idea?

 From COBOL?  Probably not a good idea.  Hardware TOD CLOCK values are
ill suited to manipulation in COBOL (52-bit integer, scaled in a double
word) and will wrap sometime relatively soon (2043?), possibly
introducing failures in applications that use it directly and expect it
to be monotone increasing.

Unless there is an LE subroutine that will return and interpret TOD
CLOCK values, this would take an Assembler subroutine to invoke the
special hardware instructions to store the value, and possibly more
assembler code to trace through the system control blocks to get the
doubleword integer local time offset and leap-second values and perform
required arithmetic if the real object is high resolution local time.
Because of the 2043 exposure mentioned above, it's probably not a good
idea to introduce new direct TOD CLOCK dependencies in Assembler code
either.

Newer processors have a new extended length (128-bit) hardware TOD CLOCK
to resolve both the 2043 problem and the need for finer resolution on
faster processors, but this would also be a format that doesn't mesh
well with COBOL.

If your object is to get date and time, you want to stick to support
provided in standard COBOL interfaces and subroutines.

--

Tue, 19 Apr 2005 13:54:24 GMT
 TOD Clock

Quote:

> I am looking for way to use TOD CLOCK in my application. Any idea?

How do you propose to get access to it in a COBOL program?

BTW, what are you planning to use it for?

Wed, 20 Apr 2005 05:56:31 GMT

1. change TOD clock with set and store clock

2. Determining TOD Clock Setting

3. date functions, TOD clock and the year 2043

4. TOD clock and the year 2043

5. TOD clock assembler code

6. Date-Time/TOD clock conversion (was Re: (no subject given))

7. TOD Clock?

8. clock scan [clock format [clock seconds]] fails

9. TOD Time

10. How to do IP clock balance with external clock

11. How to Generate 1MHz clock from 44MHz Clock??

12. Problem with clocking logic usign a derived clock