Cobol-WOW and RM/COBOL 
Author Message
 Cobol-WOW and RM/COBOL

I downloaded a demo copy of Cobol-WOW from ETS last night and installed
it. I like the user interface -- very much like the Visual Basic GUI that
I've gotten accustomed to -- but I have one or two questions about
compiling my results:

1) The documentation indicates I need an RM/COBOL compiler. I know what MF
COBOL and a few of the others are, but I'm not familiar with this version.
Can anybody give me any background on it?

2) I have the Fujitsu COBOL CD -- the same as a million other people, I
suppose. Would the compiler on that CD work for Cobol-WOW?

TIA,

John



Mon, 06 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 Cobol-WOW and RM/COBOL



Quote:
> I downloaded a demo copy of Cobol-WOW from ETS last night and installed
> it. I like the user interface -- very much like the Visual Basic GUI
> that I've gotten accustomed to -- but I have one or two questions about
> compiling my results:
> 1) The documentation indicates I need an RM/COBOL compiler. I know what
> MF COBOL and a few of the others are, but I'm not familiar with this
> version. Can anybody give me any background on it?
> 2) I have the Fujitsu COBOL CD -- the same as a million other people, I
> suppose. Would the compiler on that CD work for Cobol-WOW?

RM/COBOL is supplied by Liant, you will need both the compiler and runtime
to use Cobol-WOW.

I'm not sure how much it costs, but we use it where I work.

Regards,

Andy.

--
 ___________________ _____________________________________
|                   |                                     |

|                   |   www.argonet.co.uk/users/andyf/    |  
|___________________|_____________________________________|



Tue, 07 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 Cobol-WOW and RM/COBOL

Quote:

>I downloaded a demo copy of Cobol-WOW from ETS last night and installed
>it. I like the user interface -- very much like the Visual Basic GUI that
>I've gotten accustomed to -- but I have one or two questions about
>compiling my results:

>1) The documentation indicates I need an RM/COBOL compiler. I know what MF
>COBOL and a few of the others are, but I'm not familiar with this version.
>Can anybody give me any background on it?

RM/COBOL was the first COBOL compiler for PCs.  It was developed by my
employer, Ryan McFarland Corporation (hence the RM) in the late 1970s and
has since been revised, reimplemented, enhanced and ported to hundreds of
platforms, including IBM 370s, AS/400, VAX, nearly every flavor of UNIX,
Windows and DOS.

In 1989, RM merged with Language Processors Inc. to form Liant Software.
For product details, you can look at:

    http://www.liant.com

or call 1-800-RMCOBOL in the US (or 512 343-1010 from abroad) for
literature.

Quote:
>2) I have the Fujitsu COBOL CD -- the same as a million other people, I
>suppose. Would the compiler on that CD work for Cobol-WOW?

Nope.

--- Uwe Baemayr (Liant Software Corporation)



Sun, 19 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 Cobol-WOW and RM/COBOL



Quote:
> RM/COBOL was the first COBOL compiler for PCs.  It was developed by my
> employer, Ryan McFarland Corporation (hence the RM) in the late 1970s and
> has since been revised, reimplemented, enhanced and ported to hundreds of
> platforms, including IBM 370s, AS/400, VAX, nearly every flavor of UNIX,
> Windows and DOS.

I actually had a close encounter with the RM COBOL on an MVS system.  
They kept telling me it was RM COBOL and I didn't beleive it was the
same animal.  Now I know.  Thanks!


Sun, 19 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 Cobol-WOW and RM/COBOL

Quote:
> No quirks, no surprises, consistent object modules.  That's
> about all you can ask of a compiler, huh?

> James Jones.

i wrote in RM-74 for 15 years.  neatest thing about it, if you wrote your
program correctly, you could compile on one machine and take the object to
a different machine and run it.  i did it for years, developing on a pc and
then just move the object module over to our unix system and run it, not
even have to re-compile or anything.  r-m was way ahead of java in the
whole platform independance idea.

but alas, now i'm having to learn as/400 cobol.

dan smith



Mon, 20 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 Cobol-WOW and RM/COBOL

[snip flattery, with thanks!]

Quote:
> r-m was way ahead of java in the
> whole platform independance idea.

Yes, this is true.  That idea, scorned by those whose definition of
performance had little to do with establishing and maintaining a
software business, has been absolutely vital to our customers for almost
THREE DECADES.  (shouting to be heard over the Java mob.)  The original
RM/COBOL (tm) (1974) had some minor glitches in its portability of data
files, which we absolutely cured in the RM/COBOL-85 (tm) product.  My
guess is that Java might be truly portable in a few years, if Sun is
still around, and is not chasing another fad.  Perhaps Sun will do the
right thing, and turn Java over to ANSI for standardization.  (BTW, at
one time Sun scorned RM/COBOL because of its virtual machine
architecture; performance, you know!  Had to be native code...)

RM/COBOL's object and data portability has never ceased to amaze those
hardened skeptics at hardware vendors' porting labs.  To see a major
commercial application come alive in a few minutes of shell script
tuning was quite different from the compiling, linking and debugging
that they were used to.

Quote:

> but alas, now i'm having to learn as/400 cobol.

Have you asked the IBM salesman about the availability of RM/COBOL-85
for AS/400?

Quote:

> dan smith

Cheers!
--

Liant Software Corporation   http://www.liant.com/
512-343-1010  FAX:512-343-9487


Mon, 20 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 Cobol-WOW and RM/COBOL

I've got a RM/COBOL application running on a SCO Unix server, which monitors
a PBX over a serial line and sends Windows Pop-up messages (with Samba)
whenever someone talks more than 30 minutes. Sure, it calls one or two shell
scripts, but it still is COBOL, allthough some of my clients don't believe
me.

Regards
Albert Ralzlaff



Wed, 22 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 Cobol-WOW and RM/COBOL

On Wed, 03 Jun 1998 04:56:06 GMT, "Uwe Baemayr"

<snip>

Quote:

>RM/COBOL was the first COBOL compiler for PCs.  It was developed by my
>employer, Ryan McFarland Corporation (hence the RM) in the late 1970s and
>has since been revised, reimplemented, enhanced and ported to hundreds of
>platforms, including IBM 370s, AS/400, VAX, nearly every flavor of UNIX,
>Windows and DOS.

Yes, delightful product...

Quote:
>In 1989, RM merged with Language Processors Inc. to form Liant Software.
>For product details, you can look at:

>     http://www.*-*-*.com/

>or call 1-800-RMCOBOL in the US (or 512 343-1010 from abroad) for
>literature.

...but they WILL NOT tell you how much the friggin' thing costs!  You
have to submit {*filter*} in triplicate before they'll even talk to you,
and then they want to sell you EVERYTHING in their catalog before they
get around to the price.

So, PLEASE, I ***BEG*** you - how much to buy RM-COBOL 85 for Win 95,
98, NT, 3.1, DOS, or Linux?  ANY of them would be dandy.

And no, I am not being sarcastic.  I have YET to get a straight answer
from a Liant person vis-a-vis pricing.  I've been asking for 3 years.



Sat, 25 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 Cobol-WOW and RM/COBOL

Quote:

>...but they WILL NOT tell you how much the friggin' thing costs!  You
>have to submit {*filter*} in triplicate before they'll even talk to you,
>and then they want to sell you EVERYTHING in their catalog before they
>get around to the price.

>So, PLEASE, I ***BEG*** you - how much to buy RM-COBOL 85 for Win 95,
>98, NT, 3.1, DOS, or Linux?  ANY of them would be dandy.

>And no, I am not being sarcastic.  I have YET to get a straight answer
>from a Liant person vis-a-vis pricing.  I've been asking for 3 years.

I can sell you whatever you need.
I am not going to post all prices here because they are many but
a 1 users development for WINDOWS 95/NT will cost you
1460 (UKP) plus VAT plus expenses. payd in advance.

Best regards

Frederico Fonseca

Distributor of LIANT in PORTUGAL.



Sat, 25 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 Cobol-WOW and RM/COBOL

A 1 user devlopment RM/Cobol for Windows NT/95 is $1495.
(Straight from the horses mouth)

Quote:

> ...but they WILL NOT tell you how much the friggin' thing costs!  You
> have to submit {*filter*} in triplicate before they'll even talk to you,
> and then they want to sell you EVERYTHING in their catalog before they
> get around to the price.

> So, PLEASE, I ***BEG*** you - how much to buy RM-COBOL 85 for Win 95,
> 98, NT, 3.1, DOS, or Linux?  ANY of them would be dandy.

> And no, I am not being sarcastic.  I have YET to get a straight answer
> from a Liant person vis-a-vis pricing.  I've been asking for 3 years.



Sat, 25 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 Cobol-WOW and RM/COBOL

Doesn't equine saliva get the RM/Cobol reference manuals all wet and yucky?


Quote:
>A 1 user devlopment RM/Cobol for Windows NT/95 is $1495.
>(Straight from the horses mouth)

>> ...but they WILL NOT tell you how much the friggin' thing costs!  You
>> have to submit {*filter*} in triplicate before they'll even talk to you,
>> and then they want to sell you EVERYTHING in their catalog before they
>> get around to the price.

>> So, PLEASE, I ***BEG*** you - how much to buy RM-COBOL 85 for Win 95,
>> 98, NT, 3.1, DOS, or Linux?  ANY of them would be dandy.

>> And no, I am not being sarcastic.  I have YET to get a straight answer
>> from a Liant person vis-a-vis pricing.  I've been asking for 3 years.



Sat, 25 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 11 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. RM/COBOL & Cobol-WOW HOSTING

2. R/M COBOL 85 to COBOL-WOW Conversion

3. How compatible are RM Cobol and MF Cobol.

4. Old RM-COBOL UNIX programmer seeking info on move to COBOL/400 on AS/400

5. compatibility beetwen microfocus cobol 2.0 and RM cobol with "linux 3.0

6. Cobol-CGI and RM Cobol

7. QUESTIONS/POSTS about AcuCOBOL, RM/COBOL, Mbp, or whichever COBOL

8. First Semester problrm: simple cobol rm cobol / 85 problem with subprograms

9. MS-COBOL and RM-COBOL to Windows

10. Question about RM/COBOL and PL/COBOL compatibility.

11. Cobol Compiler: RM-Cobol for UNIX needed.

12. RM/Cobol 85 v.6.5 applications developed with RM/Panels running under W95

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software