Migrating MF-COBOL to IBM VA for COBOL
Author Message
 Migrating MF-COBOL to IBM VA for COBOL

Hi,

I have a Application that I'd like to "update" to a more modern Platform: The
Programs were written in Micro Focus COBOL/2 and make use of the SCREEN
SECTION and access SQL-Tables from the IBM Extended Services for OS/2 Database
Manager thru embedded SQL (making use of the SQLPRE of MF COBOL).

Now, I'd like to update this application to GUI. Since the target platform is
OS/2 not many COBOL compilers were left. Since money also is somewhat short
only IBM Visual Age for COBOL for OS/2 was left, as the MF COBOL Workbench
costs more than 4 times more than the IBM one...

However, the IBM Compiler's drawback is, that I cannot make use of the SCREEN
SECTION any longer (or did I miss something)? On the other hand I'd like to
perform the move from the Extended Services Database Manager to the IBM DB2/2
ASAP -- but don't know what to do with the "old" MF COBOL programs in the
meantime.

Now, I heard that it is possible for the old programs to access the data on
the DB2/2, but that they should be re-SQLPREpared (or is it DB2PREP) before
use?! If so: Is the DB2PREP more modern than the Extended Services' SQLPRE? (I
didn't allowed host-variables to be at a subordinate level -- however, the MF
Preprozessor-Interface allowed and I made heavy use of it). Plus: Will the
data-access really be save?? Or is there a way to get the SCREEN SECTION into
IBM VA COBOL so I can simply re-compile the MF Programs to get them run??

I really hope that there is somebody out there with some hints how to get
things done best!!?? *Many* thanx in advance,
cu,
_ralf_

Wed, 20 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Migrating MF-COBOL to IBM VA for COBOL

We have an import tool that will automatically translate your Micro
Focus Screen Section to COBOL sp2 GUI screen definitions.

Quote:

>Hi,

>I have a Application that I'd like to "update" to a more modern Platform: The
>Programs were written in Micro Focus COBOL/2 and make use of the SCREEN
>SECTION

Delete FILTER from my e-mail address to reply
Check out The Flexus COBOL Page at http://www.flexus.com

Fri, 22 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. converting from MF cobol to IBM VA Cobol

2. Migrate tandem COBOL to IBM COBOL

3. Info/Advice needed on IBM Cobol 2 to MF Unix Cobol conversion

4. MF COMP-5 (was MF COBOL and IBM data types)

5. MF COMP-5 (was MF COBOL and IBM data types)

6. Migrating IBM COBOL from old levels to newer levels

7. Experiences in Migrating IBM COBOL to Language Environment?

8. Migrating to AIX IBM Cobol

9. Migrating VAX/VMS COBOL to UNIX COBOL(Solaris)

10. MF Cobol and IBM DB2

11. MF COBOL and IBM data types

12. MF COBOL with Encina SFS on IBM RS/6000