Dynamic memory allocation
Author Message
 Dynamic memory allocation

Hi all,

Does anybody know any way of simply doing dynamic memory allocation in
COBOL? We are using COBOL for MVS R1.2 I don't remember if this version
of COBOL supports OO stuff, but if it does we don't really want to use
it, preferring to use older, more proven technologies.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Tom.
Tom Beer
Consultant, Systems Development
Westpac Banking Corporation
Sydney, Australia
[+61] 2 9902 5426

Fri, 12 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Dynamic memory allocation

Quote:

> Hi all,

> Does anybody know any way of simply doing dynamic memory allocation in
> COBOL? We are using COBOL for MVS R1.2 I don't remember if this version
> of COBOL supports OO stuff, but if it does we don't really want to use
> it, preferring to use older, more proven technologies.

> Any assistance would be appreciated.

> Tom.
> --
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------> Tom Beer
> Consultant, Systems Development
> Westpac Banking Corporation
> Sydney, Australia
> [+61] 2 9902 5426

If you are using LE/370 there should be callable services which would allow
you to obtain dynamic storage without writing an assembler subprogram.

CEECRHP - create a new heap
CEECZST - change the size of a previously allocated heap
CEEDSHP - release a heap
CEEGTST - allocate dynamic storage block from a heap
CEEFRST - free dynamic storage obtained with CEEGTST

An example of CEEGTST and CEEFRST may be found in Harvey Bookman's
"COBOL/370 for VS COBOL and COBOL II Programmers" on page 197.  If you have
LE/370 manuals, there should be documentation there also.

Arnold Trembley
Software Engineer I (just a job title, still a programmer)
MasterCard International
St. Louis, Missouri

Sat, 13 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Dynamic memory allocation

Quote:
Tom Beer writes...
> Hi all,
> Does anybody know any way of simply doing dynamic memory allocation in
> COBOL? We are using COBOL for MVS R1.2 I don't remember if this version
> of COBOL supports OO stuff, but if it does we don't really want to use
> it, preferring to use older, more proven technologies.
> Any assistance would be appreciated.

1. As suggested in another response to your post, the LE services can
accomplish dynamic memory allocation. These are not part of the COBOL
language but part of the required run-time environment.

2. COBOL for MVS & VM R1.2 does support OO stuff, but you don't have to
use it.

3. I would be delighted to train your applications staff on LE and how to
use LE services from application programs. I have a 3.5 day course, "LE
Fundamentals", that covers almost all of the LE services and provides labs
for students to practice using them. Furthermore, the class is designed to
be multi-lingual, so students can run their labs in COBOL, PL/I, C, or
Assembler. A special section is devoted to introducing other new features
of the COBOL compiler.

We will teach this class outside the US for US$15,000, which INCLUDES
instructor expenses and allows for up to 20 students in the class. If you
schedule two offerings in a single trip, we will teach two offerings for
only US$24,000, again including instructor expenses and up to 20 students
per class. (In the continental US, the price is a straight US$12,000 per
offering.)

If you have your own instructors, you can purchase the materials for a one
time charge of US$24,000 and teach it for your own company as many times
as you like, forever. [Note: training compaines may also purchase these
materials for twice the price.]

Sorry for the commercial, but I like to travel internationally and I find
it's always nice to tie business with pleasure, so I thought it couldn't
hurt to ask. Hope you didn't find this too heavy.

Regards,

Steve Comstock
Telephone: 303-393-8716

256-B S. Monaco Parkway
Denver, CO 80224
USA

Fri, 19 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. TeX, Pascal/VS, dynamic memory allocation, and so forth

2. Forth dynamic memory allocation - wanted

3. New Forther trying to implement dynamic memory allocation

4. Dynamic Memory Allocation

5. best dynamic memory allocation in f77?

6. dynamic memory allocation

7. Dynamic memory allocation

8. Dynamic memory allocation with Ada83

9. dynamic memory allocation

10. Dynamic Memory Allocation

11. dynamic memory allocation

12. VHDL model with dynamic memory allocation