Static/dynamic linking with Fujitsu COBOL V3.0
Author Message
 Static/dynamic linking with Fujitsu COBOL V3.0

Can somebody give me some answers to the following questions ?

0) I wrote 2 modules in COBOL: main.cbl calling sub.cbl
1) I compiled the module main.cbl with option 'MAIN' (with Fujitsu COBOL
Version 3.0 )
2) Secondly I compiled module sub.cbl with option 'NOMAIN'
3) Then I linked sub.obj to sub.dll
4) I ended with linking main.obj and sub.obj together to main.exe

My questions are:
    - Did I link those objects staticly or dynamicly?
    - If this was a dynamic link, how do I link them staticly ?
      (I understand this makes the .exe file somewhat bigger but much more
faster).

Thank you for answering my questions.

David.

Thu, 02 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Static/dynamic linking with Fujitsu COBOL V3.0
To do a static link, you do a single link of main.obj+sub.obj to produce
main.exe. At run time, sub is loaded as part of main.exe, so when main
calls sub, sub is already loaded.

To use dynamic linking, you do separate links for each program: main.obj
produces main.exe and sub.obj produces sub.dll. At run time  sub.dll is
not loaded until main calls it.

From your description, it sounds like you did both of the above!

--John

Quote:

> Can somebody give me some answers to the following questions ?

> 0) I wrote 2 modules in COBOL: main.cbl calling sub.cbl
> 1) I compiled the module main.cbl with option 'MAIN' (with Fujitsu COBOL
> Version 3.0 )
> 2) Secondly I compiled module sub.cbl with option 'NOMAIN'
> 3) Then I linked sub.obj to sub.dll
> 4) I ended with linking main.obj and sub.obj together to main.exe

> My questions are:
>     - Did I link those objects staticly or dynamicly?
>     - If this was a dynamic link, how do I link them staticly ?
>       (I understand this makes the .exe file somewhat bigger but much more
> faster).

> Thank you for answering my questions.

> David.

Sun, 05 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. URGENT! Linking error in Fujitsu COBOL V3

2. entry point not defined error when linking in fujitsu cobol v3

3. Help with linking on Fujitsu Cobol V3

4. Fujitsu NetCobol v7.0 - using scrollable cursor in ESQL (dynamic or static)

5. I need F3BHOPAS for Fujitsu's COBOL V3

6. Fujitsu COBOL v3.1

7. Fujitsu cobol V3

8. Fujitsu COBOL v3 spacing

9. fujitsu cobol v3

10. COBOL CGI programs w/Fujitsu v3 Starter

11. Changing Printers with Fujitsu COBOL V3

12. NLS and Fujitsu Cobol V3