help, i need to learn cobol
Author Message
 help, i need to learn cobol

i need to learn cobol.. i have a cobol class and am not getting much help from
the teacher, and the book sucks... is there a good book out there or some
video's i could buy that would help me.  i want to learn it.

Tue, 18 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 help, i need to learn cobol

Quote:

> i need to learn cobol.. i have a cobol class and am not getting much
> help from the teacher, and the book sucks... is there a good book out
> there or some video's i could buy that would help me.  i want to learn
> it.

Programing requires knowledge, but programing is not itself knowledge.

It is a skill, like carpentry or plumbing, and you learn it by practice,
not by reading or by watching videos.

In the past, you learned e.g. history from textbooks, but what worked for
you to learn knowledge isn't working for you now when you are trying to
learn a skill, so you think the book sucks.  There are lots of books out
there, but you won't like them any better than the one you have until you
understand the difference between learning knowledge and practicing a
skill.

Imagine that for your final exam you are going to run a mile.  The faster
you run the mile, the better your grade.  The book is like a coach who
gives you your workouts: today we do wind sprints, tomorrow we do
Nautilus, and so on.  Working out with a coach is a more efficient use of
your time than working out alone; on the other hand, different coaches
have different theories of which exercises are best.

Your instructor doesn't teach you to run, either.  He's just there to
show you how to use the Nautilus in case you don't understand it from the
book.  It isn't possible for someone else to use the Nautilus _for_ you.
You've got to do it for yourself.

The best part is that once you have learned a skill from a book, you are
well on your way to another valuable skill: how to learn a skill from a
book.

--
Christopher Westbury, Midtown Associates, 15 Fallon Place, Cambridge, MA 02138

Tue, 18 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 help, i need to learn cobol

Quote:

> i need to learn cobol.. i have a cobol class and am not getting much help from
> the teacher, and the book sucks... is there a good book out there or some
> video's i could buy that would help me.  i want to learn it.

Clara,

All you need is a good books with a lot of exercises. A PC with a COBOL
compiler. Then you read a chapter. Complete every exercises at the end
of a chapter. Programming is a kind of learn by practicing. Video does
not help much I believe.

Good Luck,
Chip Ling

Fri, 21 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 help, i need to learn cobol

Quote:

>All you need is a good books with a lot of exercises. A PC with a COBOL
>compiler. Then you read a chapter. Complete every exercises at the end
>of a chapter. Programming is a kind of learn by practicing. Video does
>not help much I believe.

Teach Yourself COBOL in 21 Days is a very easy to read, carefully structured
book with lots of examples and exercises. You use it with the MicroFocus
Personal COBOL Compiler.

If you can't find them, call me.

Best wishes,
Helen Budlong
King Computer Services, Inc.
818-951-5240

Mon, 24 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 help, i need to learn cobol

"Structured Cobol Programming by Stern & Stern" started me off. I had
Microfucus Cobol for Dos & Windows IDE with its help screen syntax diagrams
to help. Also I had an application to maintain, so I learnt it in a month. I
already had Pascal. Clara's advice is good. Good Luck

Quote:

>> i need to learn cobol.. i have a cobol class and am not getting much help
from
>> the teacher, and the book sucks... is there a good book out there or some
>> video's i could buy that would help me.  i want to learn it.

>Clara,

>All you need is a good books with a lot of exercises. A PC with a COBOL
>compiler. Then you read a chapter. Complete every exercises at the end
>of a chapter. Programming is a kind of learn by practicing. Video does
>not help much I believe.

>Good Luck,
>Chip Ling

Sun, 30 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Help needed for learning COBOL.

2. Need help learning Cobol...

3. VS COBOL to COBOL II - Need Help

4. WWW: Help learning COBOL

5. Help requested re learning cobol on MVS, using ISPF, JCL, TSO, etc

6. Please Help--having trouble learning COBOL

7. i need help to modify my cobol program can someone help soon please

8. Help...college student needs help w/cobol prgm.

9. COBOL HELP NEEDED, PLEASE HELP ME!

10. need help learning ABC template use

11. VO 2 - Just learning - need help!

12. Need help learning functional programming