Recruiter's response
Author Message
 Recruiter's response

Quote:

> A recruiter had posted some jobs in the newsgroup.  I e-mailed him back and
> suggested that he include rates if he wants to be taken seriously (yes, I was
> nice).  This is his reply (since  it was a private e-mail, I have not included
> his name):

> >>Thanks for getting back to me.  I've been a recruiter for 10 years and I will
> admit this is the hottest the market has ever been, but I am still very shocked
> at the arrogance and attitude I see from the respondents to my newsgroup
> posting.

He really *should* get out more often, neh?

Quote:
> I did not directly solicit anyone, all I did was make public the
> positions I was working on and provided a means for people to reach me.
> Anyone who gives specifice rates is either a liar or a terrible recruiter.

... because *I* don't and I'm not one of *those*.

Quote:
> I have placed hundreds of professionals and no two deals have beeen exactly the same.
> Flexibilty on both parties usually results in everyone benefiting.

It takes *real* flexibility to grab your ankles, aye.

Quote:

> I learned one thing though, I will contionue to recruit the old fashioned way,
> one
> call at a time.  I have had enough of these nerds trying to strike back at the
> hand
> that feeds them.

That's *right*... all I have to do is get these nerds a job and then we
*both* make money... them durned geeks don't have to know anything,
either, all it takes is *me*, placing them.

Quote:
> All I know is two years from now, these guys are going to be as
> valuable as yesterday's news.

Isn't that what they were saying two years ago... and five years ago...
and fif{*filter*} years ago?  Well, a broken clock is right twice a day, too.

Quote:

> If you would like my help, email me a resume and we can discuss your
> marketability. <<

> (Dontcha just love that second paragraph!!!!)  <g>

> P.S. I responded that I never send my resume out blind, I already know my
> marketability, and _*I* was a *nerd*_

> P.P.S. Needless to say, he did not respond back.

Well, I was doing nothing a week or so back... so I edited my bragsheet
so as to leave out the client names and my name, just giving the
experience... bounced it off to another stinkwad {*filter*}of similar
stripes.  He wrote back that after reviewing my credentials he could not
'use' me; I bounced back that I do not do business with folks who have
take such a stand to dealings which might be to our mutual benefit.

DD

Sun, 16 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Recruiter's response

A recruiter had posted some jobs in the newsgroup.  I e-mailed him back and
suggested that he include rates if he wants to be taken seriously (yes, I was
nice).  This is his reply (since  it was a private e-mail, I have not included
his name):

Quote:
>>Thanks for getting back to me.  I've been a recruiter for 10 years and I will

admit this is the hottest the market has ever been, but I am still very shocked
at the arrogance and attitude I see from the respondents to my newsgroup
posting.  I did not directly solicit anyone, all I did was make public the
positions I was working on and provided a means for people to reach me.
Anyone who gives specifice rates is either a liar or a terrible recruiter.  I
have
placed hundreds of professionals and no two deals have beeen exactly the same.
Flexibilty on both parties usually results in everyone benefiting.

I learned one thing though, I will contionue to recruit the old fashioned way,
one
call at a time.  I have had enough of these nerds trying to strike back at the
hand
that feeds them.  All I know is two years from now, these guys are going to be
as
valuable as yesterday's news.

If you would like my help, email me a resume and we can discuss your
marketability. <<

(Dontcha just love that second paragraph!!!!)  <g>

P.S. I responded that I never send my resume out blind, I already know my
marketability, and _*I* was a *nerd*_

P.P.S. Needless to say, he did not respond back.

Mon, 17 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Recruiter's response

Hi,
It is a shame you don't name the recruiter. In my humble opinion a bad
tooth needs to be pulled. I'm sure I qualify too as a nerd but I am getting
a little tired of following the - send me your CV and we will talk about
rates - path, only to find the Jerk is offering $30/hour. Waste of time
preparing the Email.
I must admit though, some have replied since I last posted, but none of
them are talking about any figures that appeal.

Mon, 17 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Recruiter's response

Quote:

> A recruiter had posted some jobs in the newsgroup.  I e-mailed him back and
> suggested that he include rates if he wants to be taken seriously (yes, I was
> nice).  This is his reply (since  it was a private e-mail, I have not included
> his name):

> >>Thanks for getting back to me.  I've been a recruiter for 10 years and I will
> admit this is the hottest the market has ever been, but I am still very shocked
> at the arrogance and attitude I see from the respondents to my newsgroup
> posting.  I did not directly solicit anyone, all I did was make public the
> positions I was working on and provided a means for people to reach me.
> Anyone who gives specifice rates is either a liar or a terrible recruiter.  I
> have
> placed hundreds of professionals and no two deals have beeen exactly the same.
> Flexibilty on both parties usually results in everyone benefiting.

> I learned one thing though, I will contionue to recruit the old fashioned way,
> one
> call at a time.  I have had enough of these nerds trying to strike back at the
> hand
> that feeds them.  All I know is two years from now, these guys are going to be
> as
> valuable as yesterday's news.

> If you would like my help, email me a resume and we can discuss your
> marketability. <<

> (Dontcha just love that second paragraph!!!!)  <g>

> P.S. I responded that I never send my resume out blind, I already know my
> marketability, and _*I* was a *nerd*_

> P.P.S. Needless to say, he did not respond back.

Now there's a guy that really knows this business. Talk about bite the hand that
feeds him. Additionally, they don't reply when you try to have a discussion that
does not mean instant business for them; ie too many job posting, spelling (COBAL
and all variations), etc.

Certainly this guy won't earn many recruits.

--
John Wynton, Senior Account Manager
Themis Education Services

Mon, 17 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Recruiter's response

Karen,

Unfortunately, these paramecium are here to stay (lower than an amoebae). I
believe DD said it best regarding MBA's who couldn't cut it at some Ad
Agency or Marketing (A/K/A Bulls**t) Agency, so they have slithered their
way into our business. I hate them with a PASSION. If they weren't doing
this, they'd be selling used cars or some telemarketing ripoff scenario. I
have NEVER and I hope I will NEVER be forced to use one of these so-called
'recruiters' during my consulting career. I think it is our duty that of we
know of a situation or could possible help one another out, we should.
Let's circumvent these leaches and make them kiss our A** for their FEE
that they work SO HARD FOR!!!!!

Thank You. I am now vented,

WOB

Quote:

> > a little tired of following the - send me your CV and we will talk
about
> > rates - path, only to find the Jerk is offering $30/hour. Waste of time
> > preparing the Email.
> > I must admit though, some have replied since I last posted, but none of
> > them are talking about any figures that appeal.

> Normally a lurker, I must post to agree with you.  I'm quite fed up
> with them always requesting resumes and then never having the courtesy
> of getting back to you and if they do, telling you that you aren't
> qualified.  I've got 8 years mainframe experience (with "COBALT" <G>
> and it's etceteras...) and you'd think that would count for something?
> Then there's the age issue... but don't get me started on that one...!

> What is the best way to get resumes to these potentially harmful
> headhunters?  Is blanking out the company names/addresses and my
> personal information enough?  I'm so sick and tired of these idiots
> who haven't a clue as to what those little acronyms mean on my cv
> having a say in my future employment.

> Karen

> ------

> To send email remove the KJnull and replace with karenj2.

Mon, 17 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Recruiter's response

IMHO this is not unusual.

Any event in which a programmer or other
IS professional demands what they are worth
causes the recruiters to immediately start using
words like *arrogant*.   They got too used to us
being meek and ever-so-grateful for any crumbs
they could find for us.  Face it, programmers may
be smart, but very few of us are making what we
should be, even now.

There are recruiters who specialize in placement of
talented programmers, and you'll immediately know
one the first time you speak with him/her.  They seem
to actually like arrogant programmers.  They are far
and few between, but they are really good folks to get
to know.

Regards,
James Jones.
In some cultures, what we do would be considered normal.

Tue, 18 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Recruiter's response

Quote:
>Normally a lurker, I must post to agree with you.  I'm quite fed up
>with them always requesting resumes and then never having the courtesy
>of getting back to you and if they do, telling you that you aren't
>qualified.  I've got 8 years mainframe experience (with "COBALT" <G>
>and it's etceteras...) and you'd think that would count for something?
>Then there's the age issue... but don't get me started on that one...!

I can identify with this.  There are some honest recuiters out there -

but I get calls from some, who if they read my resume would know that
(1) I do not have CICS/DB2 experience and (2) have not programmed for
eight years, but who ask me if I've had that exp.  IF I did, I
wouldn't need a resume and certainly wouldn't need a recuiter !
So - I tell them what they could have read and listen as their
interest drops to zilch.   And I never hear from them again.
Either there are no jobs other than IBM mainframe or my time away
has completely left me sidelined.  Plus the age factor.  Its really
frustrating because I can still program nearly as well as I used to
and could be of help in the y2k problem.

Thu, 20 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Recruiter's response

Quote:

> >Normally a lurker, I must post to agree with you.  I'm quite fed up
> >with them always requesting resumes and then never having the courtesy
> >of getting back to you and if they do, telling you that you aren't
> >qualified.  I've got 8 years mainframe experience (with "COBALT" <G>
> >and it's etceteras...) and you'd think that would count for something?
> >Then there's the age issue... but don't get me started on that one...!
> I can identify with this.  There are some honest recuiters out there -

> but I get calls from some, who if they read my resume would know that
> (1) I do not have CICS/DB2 experience and (2) have not programmed for
> eight years, but who ask me if I've had that exp.  IF I did, I
> wouldn't need a resume and certainly wouldn't need a recuiter !
> So - I tell them what they could have read and listen as their
> interest drops to zilch.   And I never hear from them again.
> Either there are no jobs other than IBM mainframe or my time away
> has completely left me sidelined.  Plus the age factor.  Its really
> frustrating because I can still program nearly as well as I used to
> and could be of help in the y2k problem.

        I don't know what your area is but I'm in the Seattle area and my
finding duplicates yours.  I worked for a Y2K remediation company this
past fall so I even have some current experience but was laid off
because the company had no business coming in.  I think that the demand
will ramp up quite a bit at some point, but that point is not yet.
Whenever the truth about Y2K hits and companies start getting serious
about fixing it then things will start to move.  Right now most survesy
say that roughly 1/3 of big companies have started seriously fixing
thins, 1/3 are about to, and the rest of them are still in denial.  It
will take a while for this to change.

JR

Thu, 20 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Recruiter's response

Quote:
>Karen,

>Unfortunately, these paramecium are here to stay (lower than an
amoebae). I
>believe DD said it best regarding MBA's who couldn't cut it at some Ad
>Agency or Marketing (A/K/A Bulls**t) Agency, so they have slithered
their
>way into our business. I hate them with a PASSION. If they weren't
doing
>this, they'd be selling used cars or some telemarketing ripoff
scenario. I
>have NEVER and I hope I will NEVER be forced to use one of these so-
called
>'recruiters' during my consulting career.

(if this is so how do you know that they are all so bad?)

 I think it is our duty that of we

Quote:
>know of a situation or could possible help one another out, we should.
>Let's circumvent these leaches and make them kiss our A** for their FEE
>that they work SO HARD FOR!!!!!

>Thank You. I am now vented,

>WOB

>> > a little tired of following the - send me your CV and we will talk
>about
>> > rates - path, only to find the Jerk is offering $30/hour. Waste of time
>> > preparing the Email.
>> > I must admit though, some have replied since I last posted, but none of
>> > them are talking about any figures that appeal.

>> Normally a lurker, I must post to agree with you.  I'm quite fed up
>> with them always requesting resumes and then never having the courtesy
>> of getting back to you and if they do, telling you that you aren't
>> qualified.  I've got 8 years mainframe experience (with "COBALT" <G>
>> and it's etceteras...) and you'd think that would count for something?
>> Then there's the age issue... but don't get me started on that one...!

>> What is the best way to get resumes to these potentially harmful
>> headhunters?  Is blanking out the company names/addresses and my
>> personal information enough?  I'm so sick and tired of these idiots
>> who haven't a clue as to what those little acronyms mean on my cv
>> having a say in my future employment.

>> Karen

>> ------

>> To send email remove the KJnull and replace with karenj2.

Formula System Resources Ltd
19 New Quebec Street
London
W1H 7DG

Tel:    0171 224 8288
Fax:    0171 224 8292

Tony Chewins

Fri, 21 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Recruiter's response

Wow, some people are really bitter!!!!!!!!

Quote:

>> A recruiter had posted some jobs in the newsgroup.  I e-mailed him back
and
>> suggested that he include rates if he wants to be taken seriously (yes, I
was
>> nice).  This is his reply (since  it was a private e-mail, I have not
included
>> his name):

I will
>> admit this is the hottest the market has ever been, but I am still very
shocked
>> at the arrogance and attitude I see from the respondents to my newsgroup
>> posting.

>He really *should* get out more often, neh?

>> I did not directly solicit anyone, all I did was make public the
>> positions I was working on and provided a means for people to reach me.
>> Anyone who gives specifice rates is either a liar or a terrible
recruiter.

>... because *I* don't and I'm not one of *those*.

>> I have placed hundreds of professionals and no two deals have beeen
exactly the same.
>> Flexibilty on both parties usually results in everyone benefiting.

>It takes *real* flexibility to grab your ankles, aye.

>> I learned one thing though, I will contionue to recruit the old fashioned
way,
>> one
>> call at a time.  I have had enough of these nerds trying to strike back
at the
>> hand
>> that feeds them.

>That's *right*... all I have to do is get these nerds a job and then we
>*both* make money... them durned geeks don't have to know anything,
>either, all it takes is *me*, placing them.

>> All I know is two years from now, these guys are going to be as
>> valuable as yesterday's news.

>Isn't that what they were saying two years ago... and five years ago...
>and fif{*filter*} years ago?  Well, a broken clock is right twice a day, too.

>> If you would like my help, email me a resume and we can discuss your
>> marketability. <<

>> (Dontcha just love that second paragraph!!!!)  <g>

>> P.S. I responded that I never send my resume out blind, I already know my
>> marketability, and _*I* was a *nerd*_

>> P.P.S. Needless to say, he did not respond back.

>Well, I was doing nothing a week or so back... so I edited my bragsheet
>so as to leave out the client names and my name, just giving the
>experience... bounced it off to another stinkwad {*filter*}of similar
>stripes.  He wrote back that after reviewing my credentials he could not
>'use' me; I bounced back that I do not do business with folks who have
>take such a stand to dealings which might be to our mutual benefit.

>DD

Mon, 31 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Recruiter's response

Quote:

> Wow, some people are really bitter!!!!!!!!

That is true, some are... and then there are others, full of sweetness
and light.

DD

Quote:

> >> A recruiter had posted some jobs in the newsgroup.  I e-mailed him back
> and
> >> suggested that he include rates if he wants to be taken seriously (yes, I
> was
> >> nice).  This is his reply (since  it was a private e-mail, I have not
> included
> >> his name):

> I will
> >> admit this is the hottest the market has ever been, but I am still very
> shocked
> >> at the arrogance and attitude I see from the respondents to my newsgroup
> >> posting.

> >He really *should* get out more often, neh?

> >> I did not directly solicit anyone, all I did was make public the
> >> positions I was working on and provided a means for people to reach me.
> >> Anyone who gives specifice rates is either a liar or a terrible
> recruiter.

> >... because *I* don't and I'm not one of *those*.

> >> I have placed hundreds of professionals and no two deals have beeen
> exactly the same.
> >> Flexibilty on both parties usually results in everyone benefiting.

> >It takes *real* flexibility to grab your ankles, aye.

> >> I learned one thing though, I will contionue to recruit the old fashioned
> way,
> >> one
> >> call at a time.  I have had enough of these nerds trying to strike back
> at the
> >> hand
> >> that feeds them.

> >That's *right*... all I have to do is get these nerds a job and then we
> >*both* make money... them durned geeks don't have to know anything,
> >either, all it takes is *me*, placing them.

> >> All I know is two years from now, these guys are going to be as
> >> valuable as yesterday's news.

> >Isn't that what they were saying two years ago... and five years ago...
> >and fif{*filter*} years ago?  Well, a broken clock is right twice a day, too.

> >> If you would like my help, email me a resume and we can discuss your
> >> marketability. <<

> >> (Dontcha just love that second paragraph!!!!)  <g>

> >> P.S. I responded that I never send my resume out blind, I already know my
> >> marketability, and _*I* was a *nerd*_

> >> P.P.S. Needless to say, he did not respond back.

> >Well, I was doing nothing a week or so back... so I edited my bragsheet
> >so as to leave out the client names and my name, just giving the
> >experience... bounced it off to another stinkwad {*filter*}of similar
> >stripes.  He wrote back that after reviewing my credentials he could not
> >'use' me; I bounced back that I do not do business with folks who have
> >take such a stand to dealings which might be to our mutual benefit.

> >DD

Mon, 31 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Recruiter's response

On Thu, 12 Feb 1998 20:40:31 -0500, "Rick Paiva"

Quote:

>Wow, some people are really bitter!!!!!!!!

I'll side with DD on this one.  I worked for more than 10 years in
procurement for a fortune 100 company.  For those who don't follow, I
had access to the purchase orders.  Now or 10 years ago the bill rates
never varied more than $10 an hour no matter the experience.

What did matter was everyone billed at 1.5 times on overtime but
nobody paid their people more than straight time.  We also "managed"
our clients: if the person was an employee they could not take more
than 50% of the bill rate, a W2-Front no more than 30% the bill rate,
and if a 1099-front no more than 20% the bill rate.  We also required
them to pay the person the overtime rate (usually 1.5 times) if that
is what they charged us.  I've had the past pleasure of having bounced
several major vendors off the corporate approved list for violating
these terms.  Most clients don't enforce such rules and beware of the
B.S. of wide pay scales depending upon experience.

Cheers,
Kevin

Tue, 01 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Recruiter's response

Quote:

>> >Well, I was doing nothing a week or so back... so I edited my bragsheet
>> >so as to leave out the client names and my name, just giving the
>> >experience... bounced it off to another stinkwad {*filter*}of similar
>> >stripes.  He wrote back that after reviewing my credentials he could not
>> >'use' me; I bounced back that I do not do business with folks who have
>> >take such a stand to dealings which might be to our mutual benefit.

>> >DD

Reminds me of the time I sent jpegs of myself (name removed, of
course) to Cindy Crawford, Jenny McCarthy and Cameron Diaz, just
giving the experience.  Told them that I *might* be in their area some
day, and would consider allowing them to spend some time with me.
Miserable b...hes wrote back that they didn't really think that would
be possible.  I bounced back that I do not waste my time with folks
who have take such a stand to dealings which might be to our mutual
benefit!  I guess I showed them, huh!!

Tue, 01 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Recruiter's response

Quote:

> Reminds me of the time I sent jpegs of myself (name removed, of
> course) to Cindy Crawford, Jenny McCarthy and Cameron Diaz, just
> giving the experience.  Told them that I *might* be in their area some
> day, and would consider allowing them to spend some time with me.
> Miserable b...hes wrote back that they didn't really think that would
> be possible.  I bounced back that I do not waste my time with folks
> who have take such a stand to dealings which might be to our mutual
> benefit!  I guess I showed them, huh!!

I don't know... what were you trying to show them?  Folks in the acting
business tend to focus on curious things (symmetry of features, hair/eye
pigmentation, other accidents of nature) and perhaps you did not match
some of their criteria.  Maybe you should stick to businesses where
standards are kept in letters and numbers, not aesthetic criteria?

Then again... depends on what you were trying to 'show them', I guess...
maybe you are running into the same difficulty Stephen King ran into
when he submitted a novel under a psuedonym (it got turned down
point-blank at some 20-odd publishing houses)... who knows?

DD

Tue, 01 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Recruiter's response

Quote:

> > Wow, some people are really bitter!!!!!!!!

> That is true, some are... and then there are others, full of sweetness
> and light.

> DD

I knew someone was talking about me...me...me!!!

art

Tue, 01 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Simulating 'Response Window'

2. recruiter's dilemma re: placing cobol programmer's for yr 2k projects

3. Function return values revisted (response to response)

4. Python 2.1.1 ASP/Response object does not HONOR Response.End()

5. httplib: response.read() vs response.read(size)

6. Slightly Off Topic : restrictions on the response part in a SOAP-response

7. But Smalltalk isn't mainstream - response

8. Response to Matt Kisler's reply regarding the lack of a labview zoom feature

9. See Greg's Oberon Questions (response)

10. Thank to Will's and all others response

11. Errata Inside (was Re: Intel 's Response)

12. Dag Bruck's response to Ed Schonberg