Any way to access MF Indexed files on Unix from Windows?
Author Message
 Any way to access MF Indexed files on Unix from Windows?

Hello,

Our shop uses Microfocus 3.0 on SCO Unix 5.  We would like to do
windows programming and access the indexed files on unix from Windows.
I saw once a VBX that could do this, but I forgot what it was.

Also, if you are doing something similar, what are the file and record
locking issues invloved?

We currently use TCP/IP to run the Unix apps from Windows using
terminal emulation, but it would be nice to write some pure windows
apps that just access the data that resides on Unix.

Thanks for any help,

Paul

Sat, 23 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Any way to access MF Indexed files on Unix from Windows?

Quote:

> Hello,

> Our shop uses Microfocus 3.0 on SCO Unix 5.  We would like to do
> windows programming and access the indexed files on unix from Windows.
> I saw once a VBX that could do this, but I forgot what it was.

> Also, if you are doing something similar, what are the file and record
> locking issues invloved?

> We currently use TCP/IP to run the Unix apps from Windows using
> terminal emulation, but it would be nice to write some pure windows
> apps that just access the data that resides on Unix.

> Thanks for any help,

> Paul

Try ODBC drivers for COBOL - www.transoft.com

Their U/SQL product should do the job for you !!!

Mike.

Sat, 23 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Any way to access MF Indexed files on Unix from Windows?

Paul,

I believe a company called Transoft sell a product called u/SQL which
provides an ODBC interface to COBOL files on UNIX.

Hope this helps.

Paddy Coleman
Team Leader, Distributed Computing Support (WinTel)
Micro Focus UK.

Quote:

>Hello,

>Our shop uses Microfocus 3.0 on SCO Unix 5.  We would like to do
>windows programming and access the indexed files on unix from Windows.
>I saw once a VBX that could do this, but I forgot what it was.

>Also, if you are doing something similar, what are the file and record
>locking issues invloved?

>We currently use TCP/IP to run the Unix apps from Windows using
>terminal emulation, but it would be nice to write some pure windows
>apps that just access the data that resides on Unix.

>Thanks for any help,

>Paul

Sat, 23 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Any way to access MF Indexed files on Unix from Windows?

Quote:
><HTML><FONT  BACK="#ffffff" SIZE=3 PTSIZE=10>Subject: Re: Any way to access
>MF Indexed files on Unix from Windows?<BR>

>Date: 4/7/98 10:29 AM EST<BR>

><BR>
>Paul,<BR>
><BR>
>I believe a company called Transoft sell a product called u/SQL which<BR>
>provides an ODBC interface to COBOL files on UNIX.<BR>
><BR>
>Hope this helps.<BR>
><BR>
>Paddy Coleman<BR>
>Team Leader, Distributed Computing Support (WinTel)<BR>
>Micro Focus UK.<BR>
><BR>

>>Hello,<BR>
>><BR>
>>Our shop uses Microfocus 3.0 on SCO Unix 5.  We would like to do<BR>
>>windows programming and access the indexed files on unix from Windows.<BR>
>>I saw once a VBX that could do this, but I forgot what it was.<BR>
>><BR>
>>Also, if you are doing something similar, what are the file and record<BR>
>>locking issues invloved?<BR>
>><BR>
>>We currently use TCP/IP to run the Unix apps from Windows using<BR>
>>terminal emulation, but it would be nice to write some pure windows<BR>
>>apps that just access the data that resides on Unix.<BR>
>><BR>
>>Thanks for any help,<BR>
>><BR>
>>Paul<BR>
><BR>
><BR>
></HTML>

What about using fileshare from MicroFocus...You would be able to run FS on the
unix server, and access the files via normal cobol read and write under
windows...

Ken Mullins
Atlanta, GA

Sat, 23 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Any way to access MF Indexed files on Unix from Windows?

Paul:

Quote:

> Hello,

> Our shop uses Microfocus 3.0 on SCO Unix 5.  We would like to do
> windows programming and access the indexed files on unix from Windows.

You have already been informed by the folks from Micro Focus, who used
to sell a private-label version of Transoft, about the Transoft
solution.  Please also consider Liant's offering, Relational DataBridge,
which provides standard ODBC SQL access to your UNIX based indexed
files.  The following URL takes you directly to information:
http://www.liant.com/products/retooling/databridge/index.html  (By the
way, our www2.liant.com server, upon which the demo resides, is having
some hardware problems.  If the demo doesn't work, try again later.  As
they say in broadcasting, "We are working to correct the problem...")

Quote:
> I saw once a VBX that could do this, but I forgot what it was.

I have not seen the VBX solution promoted in this newsgroup for quite
some time; it was available from a German company.  The weakness of this
approach is the requirement to do something about COBOL data types, of
which standard Windows programming tools know little.  The VBX might
have provided some support in doing this -- I don't remember.  Most
tools are ODBC compliant, however, due to the wide availability of ODBC
drivers for various data sources.

Quote:

> Also, if you are doing something similar, what are the file and record
> locking issues invloved?

Relational DataBridge uses the Micro Focus file handler.  Since routine
data access is read-only, file and record locking are nonissues.  For
SQL UPDATE operations, Relational DataBridge uses optimistic
concurrency.

Quote:

> We currently use TCP/IP to run the Unix apps from Windows using
> terminal emulation, but it would be nice to write some pure windows
> apps that just access the data that resides on Unix.

You are literally only a couple of hours (including installation) away
from such access when the Relational DataBridge box is delivered to your
office.  It really is that easy, since you already have the TCP/IP
connections in place.

--

Liant Software Corporation   http://www.liant.com/
512-343-1010  FAX:512-343-9487

Sat, 23 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Any way to access MF Indexed files on Unix from Windows?

Quote:

>Paul,

>I believe a company called Transoft sell a product called u/SQL which
>provides an ODBC interface to COBOL files on UNIX.

Paul made no mention of databases in his original post so I find this
reccomendation odd. If he's just using standard COBOL indexed files, u/SQL or
some other ODBC database bridge isn't going to help. Going SQL/ODBC will
probably slow the application down although that really depends on the design.

Paul, Try looking at Fileshare/2 and CCI which are Micro Focus products
available on Windows and UNIX. I've done the exact same thing myself using
TCP/IP but to another Windows box (NT Server to be exact). I actually use a
predecessor to Fileshare/2 called Pedro but the technology is more or less the
same. Common ancestory for the two. CCI is used as the abstract transport
layer. I've also done a virtual interface that sits on top to allow
Fileshare/2 access to SQL databases but that's another matter.

You could also use the CCI interface for more than file transfers.

Shaun

Quote:

>>Hello,

>>Our shop uses Microfocus 3.0 on SCO Unix 5.  We would like to do
>>windows programming and access the indexed files on unix from Windows.
>>I saw once a VBX that could do this, but I forgot what it was.

>>Also, if you are doing something similar, what are the file and record
>>locking issues invloved?

>>We currently use TCP/IP to run the Unix apps from Windows using
>>terminal emulation, but it would be nice to write some pure windows
>>apps that just access the data that resides on Unix.

>>Thanks for any help,

>>Paul

Sun, 24 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Any way to access MF Indexed files on Unix from Windows?

Quote:

>Large Snip<

Just want to say thanks to Tom and everyone else for their help.  I
will probably go with one of the ODBC solutions, as our user would
like to use Windows spreadsheet programs and such to look at the Unix
Indexed files.  Right now we are doing an export to ASCII in unix,
transfering the file to the PC, then using an import into the
spreadsheet.

Once I find a good product, I will also be doing some windows
programming to access the files dynamically.  Who knows, maybee I will
eventually end up re-writing all the Unix CoBol in windows, but I
doubt it.  Some things just don't need a Window's interface.

Thanks again,

Paul

Sun, 24 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Any way to access MF Indexed files on Unix from Windows?

Quote:

> >Large Snip<

> Just want to say thanks to Tom and everyone else for their help.  I
> will probably go with one of the ODBC solutions, as our user would
> like to use Windows spreadsheet programs and such to look at the Unix
> Indexed files.  Right now we are doing an export to ASCII in unix,
> transfering the file to the PC, then using an import into the
> spreadsheet.

> Once I find a good product, I will also be doing some windows
> programming to access the files dynamically.  Who knows, maybee I will
> eventually end up re-writing all the Unix CoBol in windows, but I
> doubt it.  Some things just don't need a Window's interface.

> Thanks again,

> Paul

You should make sure to re-write then in COBOL under Windows.  That'll
make it much easier.

Sun, 24 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Low access to MF indexed files - Help!

2. MF Cobol Data and Index file structure?

3. Question on MF - Cobol 3.1 Index files

4. MF Cobol indexed files across NFS?

5. MF Cobol (unix) "flat" files

6. MF COBOL (unix) problem ( reading in file )

7. Unix->MVS file transfer; MF COBOL

8. MF COBOL Server Express and Large Files in Unix

9. Mysterious File Lockings with MF COBOL under SCO UNIX V

10. Writing Unix Files with MF Cobol

11. Help: MF Cobol - File Status 25 under Unix

12. ODBC access to MF-Files