Prob w/ separate index file using AcuCobol-85
Author Message
 Prob w/ separate index file using AcuCobol-85

On Wed, 26 May 1999 14:04:43 -0500, "Warren Porter"

Quote:

>In developing a set of y2k conversion programs using AcuCobol-85, creating a
>file name by appending ".new" gave us no problems when the index was
>contained in the file itself.  On another system we get a file status of 93
>(File locked by another user), but the index is a separate file; e.g., if we
>create an indexed file named FILENAME, a file named FILENAME.vix is created
>at no extra charge to hold the index.  I don't see any sign of a file named
>FILENAME.vix.new or FILENAME.new.vix  when we tried to run one of these
>programs on our new system.

Eventually the file will be FILENAME.vix or FILENAME.IDX
or FILENAME.INX

FF

Sun, 11 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Prob w/ separate index file using AcuCobol-85
In developing a set of y2k conversion programs using AcuCobol-85, creating a
file name by appending ".new" gave us no problems when the index was
contained in the file itself.  On another system we get a file status of 93
(File locked by another user), but the index is a separate file; e.g., if we
create an indexed file named FILENAME, a file named FILENAME.vix is created
at no extra charge to hold the index.  I don't see any sign of a file named
FILENAME.vix.new or FILENAME.new.vix  when we tried to run one of these
programs on our new system.

Does anyone have any experience with this?  TIA

--
Warren Porter -- Remove numbers to reply.

Sun, 11 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Prob w/ separate index file using AcuCobol-85

Quote:

>>In developing a set of y2k conversion programs using AcuCobol-85, creating
>>file name by appending ".new" gave us no problems when the index was
>>contained in the file itself.  On another system we get a file status of
93
>>(File locked by another user), but the index is a separate file; e.g., if
we
>>create an indexed file named FILENAME, a file named FILENAME.vix is
created
>>at no extra charge to hold the index.  I don't see any sign of a file
named
>>FILENAME.vix.new or FILENAME.new.vix  when we tried to run one of these
>>programs on our new system.
>Eventually the file will be FILENAME.vix or FILENAME.IDX
>or FILENAME.INX

The problem is while reading FILENAME and FILENAME.vix, I am trying to
create FILENAME.new and an index named(?!?!?) FILENAME.new.vix .  I am
thinking
AcuCobol gags on the possibility of creating that latter file as an index
and might want to forget about the ".new" part of the index name.

Sun, 11 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Prob w/ separate index file using AcuCobol-85

Quote:
> In developing a set of y2k conversion programs using AcuCobol-85, creating
> file name by appending ".new" gave us no problems when the index was
> contained in the file itself.  On another system we get a file status of
93
> (File locked by another user), but the index is a separate file; e.g., if
we
> create an indexed file named FILENAME, a file named FILENAME.vix is
created
> at no extra charge to hold the index.  I don't see any sign of a file
named
> FILENAME.vix.new or FILENAME.new.vix  when we tried to run one of these
> programs on our new system.

> Does anyone have any experience with this?  TIA

> --

Your problem is, that your run on vision 4 (index-files). Change or insert
"V-Version   3" in your cblconfi and rebuild the file, this should solve
your problem

Best regards
     Erik Yhlen

Mon, 12 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Prob w/ separate index file using AcuCobol-85
Run vutil -i to see what Vision version the files are.
You are creating version 4 files. You can set "v-version 3" in your
configuration file to keep the version to 3.
You can also rebuild the version 4 files back to version 3 if you require.
"vutil -r -3 filename.dat"
I recently encountered the same scenario.

Regards
Domenyk Newman

Mon, 12 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Prob w/ separate index file using AcuCobol-85

Quote:

>>> In developing a set of y2k conversion programs using AcuCobol-85,
creating
>> file name by appending ".new" gave us no problems when the index was
>> contained in the file itself.  On another system we get a file status of
>93
>> (File locked by another user), but the index is a separate file; e.g., if
>we
>> create an indexed file named FILENAME, a file named FILENAME.vix is
>created
>> at no extra charge to hold the index.  I don't see any sign of a file
>named
>> FILENAME.vix.new or FILENAME.new.vix  when we tried to run one of these
>> programs on our new system.
>Your problem is, that your run on vision 4 (index-files). Change or insert
>"V-Version   3" in your cblconfi and rebuild the file, this should solve
>your problem

>Best regards
>     Erik Yhlen

Many thanks to you and Domenyk Newman.  We already had scripts to handle the
renaming of FILENAME and FILENAME.new to FILENAME.old and FILENAME
and back so keeping that setup would have been convenient.  I changed ".new"
to "anew" (same for ".old") so no period would remain in the name of the
file and had to make new versions of the renaming scripts.  IOW, evasion
turned out to be the answer.

Warren Porter -- Remove numbers to reply.

Mon, 12 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Prob w/ separate index file using AcuCobol-85
I can not speak for Accucobol, but with MF, the root name (8 of 8.3) must be
unique when dealing with indexed files.  Ie, you can NOT have FILENAME.DAT
and FILENAME.OLD as the data portion of 2 part indexed files.

    Of course, the rules are a little different with unix, but If you hope
to maintain compatability ...

Mon, 12 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Converting from ACUCOBOL 85 VISION to ACUCOBOL-GT with ORACLE

2. RM-COBOL 85 Indexed Files

3. ACUCOBOL-85 /ADABAS under Linux

4. Need Acucobol-85 compiler for PC

5. ACUCOBOL-85 Training

6. 64 Megs Ram and ACUCOBOL 85

7. ACUCOBOL 85

8. 98/38 errors on RM/Cobol-85 Indexed datafiles

9. AcuCOBOL - Index Files & Subroutines

10. how to see a module in a separate file (using ifc)

11. URGENT: someone willing to decompile Summer '85 file

12. ISCAS'85 verilog files