Please Help--having trouble learning COBOL
Author Message
 Please Help--having trouble learning COBOL

Hi,
I am a college student that doesn't have much experience with languages
except a shaky background in C.  I am now in a COBOL class and I am
having major problems learning the language.  I have bought  additional
books to supplement my text, but I just can't seem to get the concepts
to sink in.  Can anyone offer me some study tips and/or advice?  Right
now I am having trouble coding a multi-page report with totals.

Thank you,
Allison Mahady

Mon, 09 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Please Help--having trouble learning COBOL

Quote:

>Hi,
>I am a college student that doesn't have much experience with languages
>except a shaky background in C.  I am now in a COBOL class and I am
>having major problems learning the language.  I have bought  additional
>books to supplement my text, but I just can't seem to get the concepts
>to sink in.  Can anyone offer me some study tips and/or advice?  Right
>now I am having trouble coding a multi-page report with totals.

>Thank you,
>Allison Mahady

You might want to contact the group that has "TUTORS" available - that is
listed in the COBOL FAQ - under the section about asking about Homework.

Mon, 09 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Please Help--having trouble learning COBOL
What is that problem that happens when you run the program?  (Or what
compiler error are you getting?)
Quote:

>Hi,
>I am a college student that doesn't have much experience with languages
>except a shaky background in C.  I am now in a COBOL class and I am
>having major problems learning the language.  I have bought  additional
>books to supplement my text, but I just can't seem to get the concepts
>to sink in.  Can anyone offer me some study tips and/or advice?  Right
>now I am having trouble coding a multi-page report with totals.

>Thank you,
>Allison Mahady

Mon, 09 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Please Help--having trouble learning COBOL

Alison,

You are not the only person who has stumbled in learning computer languages.
The answer to your situation is to CODE.

It is like a bicycle.  Just keep trying until you get it.  It does take time.
Actually it takes lots of time. But as you improve, you do not sense it as
taking time, you sense it as fun.

The extra books you have bought are a good idea. In COBOL, examples are a very
good idea.  But you need to code.  You need machine time, or as an aviator
friend of mine says, you are after stick time.

Looking at the enigne is not enough, you need to feel what it is like to be
propelled by an engine that you can control. It changes the gestalt utterly.

CODE, CODE, CODE!

Programming can be a surprising source of emotional engagement. For example,
code can be beautiful and code can be ugly. You can write code that your are
proud of, and though no one out here in {*filter*}space will ever admit it, it is
possible to write code that is postively shiftless.

And being as how it is close to holloween, I should mention to you that
programming can also be very,  very scary.  Especially when you put you code
into production.

Welcome to your new world. Whatever your fate at school, I guaran-damn-tee-ya
that when you leave school you will enter a realm categorically dominated by
these devices. You would be well advised to master them. There is no road back.

Face it. It is at the keyboard. And since everything you are facing there is a
projection, you are facing yourself. The way to deal with that aspect of self
is to CODE. Ya just gotta be active, it is a bid{*filter*}al thingy, 'tain't like
TV.

CODE!

PRODUCE!

GENERATE!

BE A SOURCE!

Robert Rayhawk

Wed, 11 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Please Help--having trouble learning COBOL

Quote:

>Alison,
>The answer to your situation is to CODE.
>Face it. It is at the keyboard. And since everything you are facing there
is a
>projection, you are facing yourself. The way to deal with that aspect of
self
>is to CODE. Ya just gotta be active, it is a bid{*filter*}al thingy, 'tain't
like
>TV.

Very good words Robert! very true.
It also helps to READ others code to see how
it is done, to be exposed to various styles, etc.

There are several places on the net, where you
(Allison) can download code examples to learn
from. One such is http://www.*-*-*.com/ especially
the download section (ETKPAK).

Good luck Allison, and, as Robert said: keep at it!

Wed, 11 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Please Help--having trouble learning COBOL
(excellent post snipped)

Quote:
> Face it. It is at the keyboard. And since everything you are facing there is a
> projection, you are facing yourself. The way to deal with that aspect of self
> is to CODE. Ya just gotta be active, it is a bid{*filter*}al thingy, 'tain't like
> TV.

> CODE!

> PRODUCE!

> GENERATE!

> BE A SOURCE!

Great post, Bob! Loved the contrast with Tee Vee. Look at others' code,
learn, and produce beautiful code (even though, in most commercial
environments, few colleagues and/or managers will appreciate what you've
done - you'll know).

Bill {*filter*}

Wed, 11 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Help: Having trouble using tcl library commands.

2. having trouble evaluating function, help!

3. Having a Blond Moment - Please help.

4. Having problem finding SB int vector - help please

5. AS/400 Cobol trying to call an ILE Cobol function in a service progam - Please help

6. FM2 - Trouble ! Please help

7. Trouble with HP printercodes ! HELP PLEASE

8. Troubles...Please help

9. Help please, I cannot seem to learn my ABC's

10. learning forth -- please help

11. i need help to modify my cobol program can someone help soon please

12. COBOL HELP NEEDED, PLEASE HELP ME!