Any sites using OO (particularly OO) development on the mainframe
Author Message
 Any sites using OO (particularly OO) development on the mainframe

The following SOUNDS to me like a "binder" vs "linkage editor" issue - but I
may be mistaken

--
Bill Klein
    wmklein <at> ix dot netcom dot com

Quote:

> > Based on some questions in the comp.lang.cobol newsgroup, I am
> > "searching" for any sites using IBM COBOL for this-and-that for actual
> > OO COBOL development on the mainframe.  (Not sites using the identical
> > front-end compiler included in VisualAge COBOL for workstation OO
> > COBOL development.)

> <snip>

> My site does not use OO-constructs on the mainframe until today. There
> is a technical restriction too which prevents us from using OO: If you
> compile a COBOL program containing OO-constructs, the compiler allways
> generates DLL linkage for this program (method). The same is true for
> every C++ program.

> But - you cannot use the dynamic COBOL call from DLLs to non-DLLs, you
> have to link them together. It's a compiler restriction, I have no idea
> what is the reason for this since it works via an ASSEMBLER containig
> the LOAD macro.

> And non-DLL COBOL programs have to call a C-program which loads the DLL
> via dllload() and returns a procedure pointer. Not very comfortable.

> So you have troubles to connect a new application written in OO-COBOL to
> the 'old' applications. That's why I would not recommend programming OO
> at my site since almost every new application has interfaces to the
> existing applications.

> --
> Daniel
> visit us at:
> http://www.*-*-*.com/

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
> Before you buy.

Sun, 27 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Any sites using OO (particularly OO) development on the mainframe

Quote:
> The following SOUNDS to me like a "binder" vs "linkage editor" issue -
> but I may be mistaken

> --
> Bill Klein
>     wmklein <at> ix dot netcom dot com

No, it does not depend on the binder, it is a compiler restriction. You
can use EITHER the binder OR the prelink utility AND the linkage editor.
The binder can only be used if the output library is not a PDS, but
rather a PDSE.

The compiler message is the following:

IGYPG3269-E   A "CALL identifier-1" statement was found under the "DLL"
compiler option.  Execution results are unpredictable.

Nevertheless, I tried to load a non-DLL module from a DLL COBOL program
using a little ASSEMBLER program which LOADed the module. The
'unpredictable' result was that it worked fine. OK, it was just a little
sample program, not a 'real world' application.

Maybe you could ask your 'usually reliable source' about the reason of
this compiler restriction and what would be the risk if I LOADed
non-DLLs from DLLs?

--
Daniel
visit us at:

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Mon, 28 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Any sites using OO (particularly OO COBOL) development on the mainframe

2. SENIOR OO SOFTWARE DEVELOPER WITH OO SAVVY - TORONTO

3. OO SOFTWARE DEVELOPER WITH OO SAVVY - TORONTO

4. OO SOFTWARE DEVELOPER WITH OO SAVVY - TORONTO

5. OO SOFTWARE DEVELOPER WITH OO SAVVY - TORONTO

6. Use of O.O. metrics to estimate the effert and cost of O.O. projects

7. Real OO (was Choice of OO primitives in Ada95)

8. Real OO (was Re: Choice of OO primitives in Ada95)

9. Pure OO-What differentiates a true OO from object-based systems

10. Mainframe OO

11. IBM mainframe use of OO COBOL

12. OO Cobol Books for the Mainframe