Setting COBDIR for statically linked MF cobol application
Author Message
 Setting COBDIR for statically linked MF cobol application

Has anyone an idea for setting COBDIR to point elsewhere than
/usr/lib/cobol under Unix. My application is compiled with cob -x to
get a stand alone executable. The application is started by inetd and
works fine under SCO Unix 3.2 if the COBDIR is exported in
/etc/rd2.d/s85tcp where inetd is originally started but this fails
under SCO Unix 5+. Worse case scenario is to actually use
/usr/lib/cobol but it's not ideal. Any help gratefully received, as
always.

Nick Lucas

Tue, 08 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Setting COBDIR for statically linked MF cobol application

Quote:

>Has anyone an idea for setting COBDIR to point elsewhere than
>/usr/lib/cobol under Unix. My application is compiled with cob -x to
>get a stand alone executable. The application is started by inetd and
>works fine under SCO Unix 3.2 if the COBDIR is exported in
>/etc/rd2.d/s85tcp where inetd is originally started but this fails
>under SCO Unix 5+. Worse case scenario is to actually use
>/usr/lib/cobol but it's not ideal. Any help gratefully received, as
>always.

I wouldn't have thought you'd need to define COBDIR if you've
statically linked everything your program uses. How does it fail? ie.
What can't the program find?

--
Shaun

Tue, 08 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Setting COBDIR for statically linked MF cobol application

Quote:

>>Has anyone an idea for setting COBDIR to point elsewhere than
>>/usr/lib/cobol under Unix. My application is compiled with cob -x to
>>get a stand alone executable. The application is started by inetd and
>>works fine under SCO Unix 3.2 if the COBDIR is exported in
>>/etc/rd2.d/s85tcp where inetd is originally started but this fails
>>under SCO Unix 5+. Worse case scenario is to actually use
>>/usr/lib/cobol but it's not ideal. Any help gratefully received, as
>>always.

>I wouldn't have thought you'd need to define COBDIR if you've
>statically linked everything your program uses. How does it fail? ie.
>What can't the program find?

I agree it does seem crazy - it's trying to find rts.msg in
/usr/lib/cobol and then gives an error 181 ( I think - I'm not at work
right now so it may be 180) file not found on '' (quote quote) and
terminates. It makes no difference if the rts.msg is in the same
directory or any of the other .msg files. I can't understand why it
should look for these files either if it's statically linked because
that's the whole purpose of statically linking it ! MicroFocus
suggested seting COBDIR in /etc/rc.d/7 but this makes no difference.
I've been using a program called tcpclient that I got from a comms
site that's really handly for debugging socket applications as you can
specify a mahine IP and socket to use.

Wed, 09 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Using Snack in a statically linked application

2. Statically linking standard Python modules into an application

3. Building a statically linked application

4. MF VObjCobol Cobdir-Problem

5. statically linked tcl conflict with dynamically linked tcl error

6. How to setting MF cobol ?

7. invoking internet explorer from MF COBOL application

8. How to compile and link to C-DLL out of COBOL-DLL (MF)

9. Linking MF-Cobol programs (batch)

10. Is MF COBOL unable to run large applications?

11. Linking C to MF COBOL

12. why my MF-COBOL link always show WARING message