RM vs MF Cobol
Author Message
 RM vs MF Cobol

We're planning, for our customer, a conversion between RM Cobol and MF
Cobol
Could anybody send us some tips or known problems?
In the case we'll find new problems and solutions, then we'll inform
all the people who helped us.
Thanks In Advance
Sergio
< Sergio Sardo - Migra s.r.l. - Italy >

Fri, 17 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 RM vs MF Cobol

Quote:

> We're planning, for our customer, a conversion between RM Cobol and MF
> Cobol
> Could anybody send us some tips or known problems?

Yes... a known problem is that when you do not have *me* on-site,
earning money, the entire project is doomed, completely *doomed*, to
failure... so let's sit down and discuss a contract for my work (my
rates are very reasonable and my passport is current) so this Terrible
Doom doesn't happen to *you*.

Quote:
> In the case we'll find new problems and solutions, then we'll inform
> all the people who helped us.

... and ho will you know whether a problem or a solution is 'new'?

DD

Fri, 17 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 RM vs MF Cobol

Quote:

>> We're planning, for our customer, a conversion between RM Cobol and MF
>> Cobol
>> Could anybody send us some tips or known problems?

>Yes... a known problem is that when you do not have *me* on-site,
>earning money, the entire project is doomed, completely *doomed*, to
>failure... so let's sit down and discuss a contract for my work (my
>rates are very reasonable and my passport is current) so this Terrible

And ME. I already have that kind of experience. And I do not need ANY
passport.

Best regards

Frederico Fonseca
Portugal

Fri, 17 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 RM vs MF Cobol

Quote:

>>> We're planning, for our customer, a conversion between RM Cobol and MF
>>> Cobol
>>> Could anybody send us some tips or known problems?

>>Yes... a known problem is that when you do not have *me* on-site,
>>earning money, the entire project is doomed, completely *doomed*, to
>>failure... so let's sit down and discuss a contract for my work (my
>>rates are very reasonable and my passport is current) so this Terrible

>And ME. I already have that kind of experience. And I do not need ANY
>passport.

>Best regards

>Frederico Fonseca
>Portugal

Now, now children;  no hypocrisy in condemming spam-mail while jumping
at self-prommotion here ;-)  But it would be interesting to note the
quirks with the different compilers in this group.

Inquiring minds like to know,

Boyce G. Williams, Jr.

 .--------------------------------------------------------------------.
 | "People should have two virtues:  purpose- the courage to envisage |
 | and pursue valued goals uninhibited by the defeat of infantile     |
 | fantasies, by guilt and the failing fear punishment;  and wisdom- a|
 | detached concern with life itself, in the face of death itself."   |
 |                                                     Norman F. Dixon|
 '--------------------------------------------------------------------'

Sun, 19 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 RM vs MF Cobol

To have an inquiring mind is a fine thing, aye... to have a mind which
requests professional knowledge and hard-won years of experience *not*
to satisfy curiousity but in order to complete one's *own* job with the
unrecompensed learning of another is quite another.

DD

Quote:

> >>Yes... a known problem is that when you do not have *me* on-site,
> >>earning money, the entire project is doomed, completely *doomed*, to
> >>failure... so let's sit down and discuss a contract for my work (my
> >>rates are very reasonable and my passport is current) so this Terrible

> >And ME. I already have that kind of experience. And I do not need ANY
> >passport.

> >Best regards

> >Frederico Fonseca
> >Portugal

> Now, now children;  no hypocrisy in condemming spam-mail while jumping
> at self-prommotion here ;-)  But it would be interesting to note the
> quirks with the different compilers in this group.

> Inquiring minds like to know,

> Boyce G. Williams, Jr.

>  .--------------------------------------------------------------------.
>  | "People should have two virtues:  purpose- the courage to envisage |
>  | and pursue valued goals uninhibited by the defeat of infantile     |
>  | fantasies, by guilt and the failing fear punishment;  and wisdom- a|
>  | detached concern with life itself, in the face of death itself."   |
>  |                                                     Norman F. Dixon|
>  '--------------------------------------------------------------------'

Sun, 19 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 RM vs MF Cobol

Quote:

tip number 1:
get differences in data file storage method
tip number 2:
get differences in program storage method

tip number 3:
make a text processor which looks for keywords in a sentence that are
RM specific and stores that location until the period.

tip number 4:
convert that location using a database, so long as the specific word
is not excluded by a cobol exclusion type statement.

tips number 3 and 4 should be done in ANSI Cobol, to allow programmers
who use the language to be able to modify it easily.

Sun, 19 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 RM vs MF Cobol

Quote:

> To have an inquiring mind is a fine thing, aye... to have a mind which
> requests professional knowledge and hard-won years of experience *not*
> to satisfy curiousity but in order to complete one's *own* job with the
> unrecompensed learning of another is quite another.

> DD

SO...let me play devil's advocate...were not the hard won years of
experience compensated for? Does *every* piece of knowledge have to be
compensated for? Seems like a legitimate question for this group to
me....

Steve

Sun, 19 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 RM vs MF Cobol

Quote:

> > To have an inquiring mind is a fine thing, aye... to have a mind which
> > requests professional knowledge and hard-won years of experience *not*
> > to satisfy curiousity but in order to complete one's *own* job with the
> > unrecompensed learning of another is quite another.

> > DD

> SO...let me play devil's advocate...were not the hard won years of
> experience compensated for?

Some were, some weren't, just like everything else... so tell me what
this has to do with giving away what I do for a living?

Quote:
> Does *every* piece of knowledge have to be
> compensated for?

I do not believe that was implied; this is not 'every' piece.  Were the
question about, say, the way Sophocles uses masculine articles in
referring to Antigone (in the play of the same name) I would be more
than happy to blather thereupon... and *I* was the one who paid someone
else for such knowledge.  This, however, is Work-Related... the question
is not asked out of idle curiousity but so that someone can Make Money.
Since there's money to be made I merely ask for my appropriate cut.

Quote:
> Seems like a legitimate question for this group to
> me....

Appearances can be deceiving, no?  Nobody ever says 'Say, just out of
curiousity... what happens to Euclidean geometry if one ignores the
fifth postulate and allows parallel lines to meet, albeit at an
infinitely great distance?'... they always say 'Say, just out of
curiousity... how would *you* deal with the system abends due to a
mixture of COBOL and COBOLII load modules running out of a mixed PDS?'

(side note: 'How would *you*...' is Business-Speak for 'Here, let me
leech at your brain... most likely I will deride and ridicule your
opinions but I'll probably present them to my manager as my own')

DD

Sun, 19 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 RM vs MF Cobol

Quote:

> tip number 1:
> get differences in data file storage method
[snip]
> tip number 3:
> make a text processor which looks for keywords in a sentence that are
> RM specific and stores that location until the period.

Hi.

Be aware that Micro Focus COBOL has directives (compiler), switches
(runtime), configuration utilities (accept/display module) and
conversion utilities (data files) all of which are specifically there
to enable easier migration from RM COBOL. I refer you to the Micro
Focus "Compatibility Guide" book, which should be in your manual set.

Cheers,
Kev.

Mon, 20 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 RM vs MF Cobol

Quote:

>Be aware that Micro Focus COBOL has directives (compiler), switches
>(runtime), configuration utilities (accept/display module) and
>conversion utilities (data files) all of which are specifically there
>to enable easier migration from RM COBOL. I refer you to the Micro
>Focus "Compatibility Guide" book, which should be in your manual set.

>Cheers,
>Kev.

And by the way  is the conversion going to be done from RM to MF or
from MF to RM

Cheers,

Frederico

Mon, 20 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. How compatible are RM Cobol and MF Cobol.

2. MF Cobol VS MF WorkBench

3. RM vs MF

4. MF COBOL vs MS COBOL

5. MF VS/Cobol to Cobol II/370 Conversion?

6. UNIDATA vs RM-COBOL

7. RM/Cobol 85 v.6.5 applications developed with RM/Panels running under W95

8. Problem with RM/COBOL, RM+DB & telnet

9. Logical vs. Physical Cancel in MF Cobol

10. MF-COBOL vs ACUCOBOL

11. Acucobol vs. MF Cobol

12. Fujitsu 4.0 vs MF NetExpress & MF Resolve