Micro Focus Cobol Error Messages
Author Message
 Micro Focus Cobol Error Messages

I am starting new thread to keep track of all the Micro focus
error message.

Error 114:

I am getting error code - 114 . Attempt to access item beyond bounds
of memory.

When this happens it is not showing in which program this
is occurring.How to resolve this problem .
would anybody please post the solution to this problem.

Tue, 27 Sep 2005 04:22:08 GMT
 Micro Focus Cobol Error Messages

Quote:

> I am starting new thread to keep track of all the Micro focus
> error message.

> Error 114:

> I am getting error code - 114 . Attempt to access item beyond bounds
> of memory.

> When this happens it is not showing in which program this
> is occurring.How to resolve this problem .
> would anybody please post the solution to this problem.

You haven't given us any code to clue in on. Most often it will apply to
mismatching on sending and receiving parameters (via Linkage) whether
CALLING (non OO) or INVOKING (in OO).

Try and follow it through with the Animator putting Breakpoints where
you think the error may be occurring.

If this doesn't help - some more explicit information please.

Jimmy, Calgary AB

Tue, 27 Sep 2005 06:24:09 GMT
 Micro Focus Cobol Error Messages

Thanks for your reply.This is happening only when we set up the
server(CICS) level of security to "normal".If we change back the
security level to "none" then we are having any problems.However ,
down the line
we need to have the security level to "normal".It's kind of confusing
from where this is ocurring(server level or porgramming level).

Tue, 27 Sep 2005 22:11:10 GMT
 Micro Focus Cobol Error Messages

Quote:

>I am starting new thread to keep track of all the Micro focus
>error message.

>Error 114:

>I am getting error code - 114 . Attempt to access item beyond bounds
>of memory.

>When this happens it is not showing in which program this
>is occurring.How to resolve this problem .
>would anybody please post the solution to this problem.

Since I use pointers so much, I occasionally get a 114. It means invalid
pointer. More than 98% of the time, the pointer is null. Look at linkage-section
or local-storage structures. The pointer to one of them is bad. The error could
be as simple as a parameter not being passed.

My MicroFocus does give the name of the dynamically called program. If you have
a lot of static binding, consider making them dynamic.

Wed, 28 Sep 2005 00:01:11 GMT
 Micro Focus Cobol Error Messages

Quote:

>Thanks for your reply.This is happening only when we set up the
>server(CICS) level of security to "normal".If we change back the
>security level to "none" then we are having any problems.However ,
>down the line
>we need to have the security level to "normal".It's kind of confusing
>from where this is ocurring(server level or porgramming level).

That narrows it down. Look for pointer-based structures dealing with security.
Are they the right size? If they are allocated too small or referenced too big,
that will cause a memory error.

There is a remote chance the error is caused by a errant subscript. Try turning
on bounds checking if it's not already on. I doubt this is your problem, but
it's an easy test.

Wed, 28 Sep 2005 00:30:15 GMT
 Micro Focus Cobol Error Messages

I don't understand how come the problem is at programming side.This is
happening only when there is a security level change at the server
level.In my earlier E-mail I haven't expalined properly.

If the security level = "Normal" -- We had a problem with Error - 144.

if the security level = "none" -- We had no problem.

Wed, 28 Sep 2005 03:03:21 GMT
 Micro Focus Cobol Error Messages

Quote:

> I don't understand how come the problem is at programming side.

Then, being programmers, we probably can't help you.

Quote:
> This is
> happening only when there is a security level change at the server
> level.In my earlier E-mail I haven't expalined properly.

> If the security level = "Normal" -- We had a problem with Error - 144.

> if the security level = "none" -- We had no problem.

Are you providing security information to the server ?  Perhaps you should
be.  If it works when it doesn't check security but fails when it does
check security then what is it checking ?  Is it something that you are
passing in a parameter, or should be but aren't ?

Wed, 28 Sep 2005 05:29:57 GMT
 Micro Focus Cobol Error Messages

I am using Server Express on Unix , what is the command to get the
program counter(PC) ? . One of my program is sending an error with
the PC = 1322.Please let me know ..........

Tue, 22 Nov 2005 05:51:45 GMT
 Micro Focus Cobol Error Messages
For Server Express 2.2 I use:

   NOERRLIST REF RESEQ

This gives a full numbered program listing along with the PC x-ref at the
bottom.

Regards,

Greg

Quote:

> I am using Server Express on Unix , what is the command to get the
> program counter(PC) ? . One of my program is sending an error with
> the PC = 1322.Please let me know ..........

> --

Tue, 22 Nov 2005 19:02:37 GMT
 Micro Focus Cobol Error Messages

Thanks for the answer.But I am using this command and not getting any
lst files.All this is generating is .idy and .gnt files.I too using the
server express 2.2 on AIX unix.

I used the commad following way -

cob NOERRLIST REF RESEQ myprog.cbl

Do you think this is the way I suppose to use . Please let me know.

Regards.
Ronald

Wed, 23 Nov 2005 00:30:02 GMT
 Micro Focus Cobol Error Messages

Quote:
> Thanks for the answer.But I am using this command and not getting any
> lst files.All this is generating is .idy and .gnt files.I too using the
> server express 2.2 on AIX unix.

> I used the commad following way -

> cob NOERRLIST REF RESEQ myprog.cbl

Add COPYLIST to include copyfiles and LIST"myprog.lst" to specify the filename.

Wed, 23 Nov 2005 05:55:49 GMT
 Micro Focus Cobol Error Messages

Quote:
> Thanks for the answer.But I am using this command and not getting any
> lst files.All this is generating is .idy and .gnt files.I too using the
> server express 2.2 on AIX unix.

> I used the commad following way -

> cob NOERRLIST REF RESEQ myprog.cbl

Further to previous post: the REF numbers refer to the PC codes in the
.int file.  To locate the problem you should delete all .gnt versions
and run the .int version then the REF listing will match.  If you need
to run the .gnt then you may need to also do an ASMLIST"name" and
SOURCEASM to be able to relate the PC codes from the .gnt.

Leastways, that is what I need to do with my MF which is not the same
as yours.

Wed, 23 Nov 2005 06:00:16 GMT
 Micro Focus Cobol Error Messages
Hi Ronald -

My answer was the extra pieces I had to put in to my regular set of compile
options.

If you want a complete sample command-line to create a x-ref (using .int
code):

    cob -i -C"LIST COPYLIST NOERRLIST REF RESEQ" PROG.CBL >> PROG.LST

    -i   = Generate .int code
    -C = Compiler directives

For example (on SE2.2 on Unixware) this is the output generated by the above
command-line:

* Micro Focus Server Express         V2.2 revision 000 07-Jun-03 03:53 Page
1
* PROG.CBL
     1 WORKING-STORAGE SECTION.
     2 78  78-FIRST-NUMBER       VALUE 1.
     3 78  78-SECOND-NUMBER      VALUE 2.
     4 01  THE-SUM               PIC 9.
     5 PROCEDURE DIVISION.
     6   DISPLAY "Quick demo of XREF directive"
     7   DISPLAY "First number is  : " 78-FIRST-NUMBER
     8   DISPLAY "Second number is : " 78-SECOND-NUMBER
     9   COMPUTE THE-SUM = 78-FIRST-NUMBER + 78-SECOND-NUMBER
    10   DISPLAY "The sum is : " THE-SUM
    11   STOP RUN
    12   .
* Micro Focus Server Express         V2.2 revision 000 Compiler
* Copyright (C) 1984-2002 Micro Focus International Ltd. URN
RXCSC/AA0/00000*
                                                     REF GNR-166060000AD
* Total Messages:     0
* Data:         404     Code:         168
*
 Address   Line No   Address   Line No   Address   Line No   Address   Line
No
00000024         6  00000044         7  0000005F         8  0000007A
9
00000085        10  0000009A        11

Cheers!

Greg

Quote:

> Thanks for the answer.But I am using this command and not getting any
> lst files.All this is generating is .idy and .gnt files.I too using the
> server express 2.2 on AIX unix.

> I used the commad following way -

> cob NOERRLIST REF RESEQ myprog.cbl

> Do you think this is the way I suppose to use . Please let me know.

> Regards.
> Ronald

> --

Wed, 23 Nov 2005 18:56:49 GMT
 Micro Focus Cobol Error Messages

Thanks for the info.

Greg, Previously, I was using the Micro Focus Cobol,on that I was
getting
Program Counter next to each line of code when I generate the
listing .On the left hand side the line number and on the right hand
side the PC.

For example ..

01   INDENTIFICATION DIVISION  00
02   PROGRAM                             100.

According your example , the server express is providing at the bottom.

So I need to consider the Address will be my program counter , right ?

If that is the case , I have program counter 1313 from the error , now I
generated the listing, my program came up with addresses , which is not
showing this number(1313).It has 1300 and 1318.That means I need to
think about the code between the addresses of 1300 and 1318 in order to
resolve the problem.

Please clarify this.

Thu, 24 Nov 2005 07:28:45 GMT
 Micro Focus Cobol Error Messages

Quote:
> If that is the case , I have program counter 1313 from the error , now I
> generated the listing, my program came up with addresses , which is not
> showing this number(1313).It has 1300 and 1318.That means I need to
> think about the code between the addresses of 1300 and 1318 in order to
> resolve the problem.

Yes - that is correct.

In my experience the program counter does not usually provide an exact match
to a line on the XREF listing.  I assume this is because the XREF shows the
starting line number of the code generated for the statement.

We find this XREF _extremely_ handy when a user says "my session went
*poof* - what happened!".  At least you have a great place to start.

FYI another nice feature of the RTS is the ability to trap run-time errors
(see CBL_ERROR_PROC).  You can hook into this and do whatever you like with
the info.  We wrote a utility to log the error details to a sequential file.

Regards,

Greg

Quote:

> Thanks for the info.

> Greg, Previously, I was using the Micro Focus Cobol,on that I was
> getting
> Program Counter next to each line of code when I generate the
> listing .On the left hand side the line number and on the right hand
> side the PC.

> For example ..

> 01   INDENTIFICATION DIVISION  00
> 02   PROGRAM                             100.

> According your example , the server express is providing at the bottom.

> So I need to consider the Address will be my program counter , right ?

> If that is the case , I have program counter 1313 from the error , now I
> generated the listing, my program came up with addresses , which is not
> showing this number(1313).It has 1300 and 1318.That means I need to
> think about the code between the addresses of 1300 and 1318 in order to
> resolve the problem.

> Please clarify this.

> --

Fri, 25 Nov 2005 17:06:32 GMT

1. Micro-Focus Cobol error messages

2. Error in Micro Focus Cobol for Linux

3. Help: Micro Focus COBOL error 114

4. Micro Focus COBOL error

5. Micro Focus 2.4.38 EXTFH and Micro Focus 3.1.35 compiler

6. Visual Age cobol calling Micro Focus cobol

7. C Versus Micro Focus COBOL Efficiency

8. A problem with Micro-focus Cobol (HP 9000/840)

9. New copy In Micro Focus Cobol

10. Micro focus cobol and NT4

11. Using of pointers in HP Micro-Focus COBOL

12. Installing Micro Focus Cobol